REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ben Hong

NHL Playoffs,

Pub Scout
As Chris Chelios said, Montreal was and is like the Harvard of hockey.

Does that mean Claude Julien was academically dismissed? :D

My FlyBoys get no mention of hanging tuff!  How about that game for excitement?

Now, if we only can figure out who will be the goalie?

Miller, netkeeper for the Sabres is one hell of a goalie!!  Impressive as hell!

Youse Flyers get big props for winning that game yesterday.  So do the Blackhawks.  Both were great games.  

Aside from goal-keeping, the play on the ice was hugely slanted to Philly.  Miller giving up some goals was nothing compared to what a pretty good keeper would have given up.  

BTW, there is no home ice advantage in these series with the exception of the Caps.  Home teams are losing two games to each win in their own arenas.  Weird.

Pub Scout
Not Playoff related, but how did Lidstrom get to be a Norris finalist.  A minus player for the season.  It's Weber's trophy.  The man is a beast.

Ben Hong
As Chris Chelios said, Montreal was and is like the Harvard of hockey.

Does that mean Claude Julien was academically dismissed? :D

There may be a reason why he was dismissed late in the season by the Habs and also just two game before the playoffs by NJ the very next year.

Ben Hong

To quote another great hockey man, Conn Smythe "If you can't beat'em in the alley, you can't beat'em on the ice".

That old adage has been put to rest a long time ago by teams with more finesse than idiotic brawn. But for the troglodyte fan who thinks that hockey is roller derby, the myth lives on.

Smythe said that about his Maple Leafs of the 50s, and the quote was adopted by the 1961 Black Hawks, which took exactly 50 years to win another Cup. The Leafs (last Cup1967 ) will never win another Cup in my lifetime. Montreal feasted off this attitude and built Dynasties on top their opponents who had for gotten that only a puck in the net counts in the scoring, not a punch to the head. 6 Cups in the 50s, the supposed heydays for the Conn Smythe Leafs; 5 Cups in the 60s, when everyone saw the brawny Hawks win in 1961 and said that no one will touch them for a decade (with Mikita, Hull, Pilote, Hall, etc).

Flash forward to the 70s when everyone loved the phrase "Big Bad Bruins". They won twice and then Montreal B!tch slapped them 4 times, and destroyed the Broadstreet Bullies two years running after they won their allotted 2 Cups. Booby Clarke still says that the Flyers were a better team!! like Joe Fraser still believes that he beat Ali . Yup, another 6 Cups in the 70s.

In the present era, Detroit prides itself on not having had a playoff fight in 7 years (until last week). They won 4 Cups in the last 14 years.

So much for beating them in the alley. What a STOOPID adage.

Dogwood

To quote another great hockey man, Conn Smythe "If you can't beat'em in the alley, you can't beat'em on the ice".

That old adage has been put to rest a long time ago by teams with more finesse than idiotic brawn. But for the troglodyte fan who thinks that hockey is roller derby, the myth lives on.

Smythe said that about his Maple Leafs of the 50s, and the quote was adopted by the 1961 Black Hawks, which took exactly 50 years to win another Cup. The Leafs (last Cup1967 ) will never win another Cup in my lifetime. Montreal feasted off this attitude and built Dynasties on top their opponents who had for gotten that only a puck in the net counts in the scoring, not a punch to the head. 6 Cups in the 50s, the supposed heydays for the Conn Smythe Leafs; 5 Cups in the 60s, when everyone saw the brawny Hawks win in 1961 and said that no one will touch them for a decade (with Mikita, Hull, Pilote, Hall, etc).

Flash forward to the 70s when everyone loved the phrase "Big Bad Bruins". They won twice and then Montreal B!tch slapped them 4 times, and destroyed the Broadstreet Bullies two years running after they won their allotted 2 Cups. Booby Clarke still says that the Flyers were a better team!! like Joe Fraser still believes that he beat Ali . Yup, another 6 Cups in the 70s.

In the present era, Detroit prides itself on not having had a playoff fight in 7 years (until last week). They won 4 Cups in the last 14 years.

Chris "Cross Check" Pronger still lives by those words.

Can the Pens close out Tampa Bay tonight? I'm hoping for 7. Of course, I'm hoping for 7 on all series in the East. More rest for my Caps(actually they aren't mine but it sure would be nice).

Pomoxis
Dont you love playoff hockey. Throw finesse out the window. Put a body in front of the goalie....throw the puck at the net....crash the net and hack away at any rebounds.

Jeff Kimball

.. are you guys serious? There's other teams playing this week?

Habs-Bruins.jpg

Pub Scout

That's not how I interpret the quote.  To me it means that your team needs to play physical, agressive hockey, carry the play and never give up.  And to think that Detroit doesn't play like that would be wrong.  Guys like Draper, McCarthy, Kocur, Lapointe and Chelios made those great teams great.  They set the tempo and create the space for the finesse players.

I prefer that type of hockey instead of the tippy-tap stuff.  Otherwise, it's just figure skating without the judges.

And yet Ben, you don't oppose fighting?

I love the physical stuff, the checking, the pounding but the fighting, head-hunting, grabbing and stick work has to go.  Players should be tossed for the remainder of the current game and all of the next for BS like that.  2nd time, gone for many games, 3rd time, gone for the season.  No one loves to see Orpik line up an opponent and shoulder crush him into the boards more than me.  But I cringe when I see Cooke head-hunt, and that goes for the half-dozen or so other head shots in round 1 that have been delivered.  

----------------------

Tampa Bay is kicking Pens @$$ right now.  Believe our only hope is to find a way to keep the score down in game 7 and net a couple/three.  Fleury will have to stand on his head for the Pens to get to round 2.

Ben Hong
And yet Ben, you don't oppose fighting?

I love the physical stuff, the checking, the pounding but the fighting, head-hunting, grabbing and stick work has to go.  Players should be tossed for the remainder of the current game and all of the next for BS like that.  2nd time, gone for many games, 3rd time, gone for the season.  No one loves to see Orpik line up an opponent and shoulder crush him into the boards more than me.  But I cringe when I see Cooke head-hunt, and that goes for the half-dozen or so other head shots in round 1 that have been delivered.  

----------------------

I believe that spontaneous spur of the moment "correction" of a situation, man to man, is a valuable relief valve. Like you said, gang bangs and malicious intent was never condoned and should be punished to the full extent of the rules. I just hate that.

I despise the Flyers and the Bruins, not because of their rivalry with the Habs, but it has been and is clearly the stated philosophy of their leadership to play mean and hurtful hockey, as if they can consistently win with that strategy. When the '74, '75 Flyers (Broad St. Bullies)were swept by Montreal , the hockey world breathed a sigh of relief, realizing that style and class (MTL) still wins championships. It took the same Montreal team to put Don Cherry and the Big Bad Bruins in their place.

But neither team is willing to accept the finesse route to success. In 5 years of playing in Florida, I believe that Nathan Horton had a total of 5 fights. In one season with Boston, he had 7. Talk about philosophy. Talk about pack mentality. When Steve Downey of the Flyers ended someone's career last year, Booby Clarke of the same Flyers' organization said there should never have been a suspension because it was "just rough tough Flyers type hockey".

Pub Scout

So Montreal is above thuggery?

I suppose it maybe best to agree to disagree.

kdvollmer
So how about this beating that the Flyers are handing out tonight?

braque du upstate
i had to turn it off. buffalo might make a good AHL team, if they learn to skate and shoot the puck better. :down: