Goodbye Sweet Prince

traveller2926
Bonasa, I am so very sorry for you to have the feelings you are having.  Like you, I had a very similar experience on New Years Day 1990.  A sad day for me with a similar, but also very sad outcome.  I lost my first Setter, Zaak.  Today, I have so many fond memories of that pup, but, I also have had many wonderful experiences with the four pups I have had since Zaak.  Giff was my first pup after Zaak.  He filled a big empty hole in my heart and soul.  Then my sweet Traveller.  Now, Drummer and Lily.  Better days will be ahead of you.  It was hard for me to understand at the time, but really, better times will be ahead.  Please know you will be in my very private and personal thoughts, yes my prayers...  Trav
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bonasa

• brueggemanns

• bigjohnsd

I know there are no words to make it better and I'm so sorry for your terrible loss.

Oh my. Please don't be so hard on yourself, man. We all have lapses where we think the dog will be okay, not run in the road, or into whatever danger there is for them to be exposed to.

My heart goes out to you.

Only takes a couple of seconds, scares hell out of me. Sorry for your loss, that's a tough one.
brueggemanns

I was told that if they left us even a second later than they do, we'd never be able to survive the grief and pain.  I'd be willing to try to keep them longer (especially in your case), but it's not to be.

I'm shattered for you.

I wanted to thank everyone for the responses which are so full of insight and filled with sage advice.  The collective knowledge, understanding and especially kindness here is remarkable.

It is so painful to be at this keyboard without Reefy demanding to climb in my lap and give me a big hug every 20 minutes or so.  The house is completely empty.  When I go to the fridge at night and open the door it blocks the entrance to the hallway.  The picture of Reef with his face and paws under the fridge is where he would follow and plop down every single time I went for a drink or something.  He always got a doggie treat for his trouble. The emptiness of this house is deafening...

Has to be tough; remembering the good times with the past dog and now giving up dreams an expectations of the pup.

So sorry......heads up......there are more puppies to fill the void.....and one just waiting to hear you say, "I'll take that one."

northern_hunting_mom

I am so sorry. Losing a dog like this makes a person feel so helpless. All good people cry in times like this. We as humans cannot love a dog enough, they love us much more.

His memory will remain with all of us, he will not be forgotten.

Now, don't be afraid to let another dog love you, you are deserving of it.

apachecadillac
What a terrible thing!  My heart goes out to you.  I am so, so sorry.
Bloodhound
May I add to the list of condolences?  Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.