book recommendations

Recently finished two very good books bought on recommendations of UJ folks:

Strong fathers, strong daughters: recommended by Briarscratch. Excellent book on parenting daughters. Learned a lot and stressed the importance of stuff I already knew. Changed how I interact with my three daughters.

Misadventures of a flyfisherman by Jack Hemingway: recommended by Larry Brown (I think). Interesting memoir that covers many of of my favorite subjects: hemingway, fishing, hunting and first-hand accounts of service in WWII. He is not the gifted writer that his father was, but still a great read.

Seems the UJ crowd is very well read.

Any recommendations for the summer reading list?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldredruff

• Larry Brown

• ghostdog

• Peterson

Briarscratch
I just finished Sharon Kay Penman's Welsh trilogy (thanks again Craig D) and started "Gone With The Wind".  Now I know why it's considered one of the best novels of the 20th Century.
Larry Brown
GD, glad you liked the Hemingway memoir.  Had to have been tough for him, growing up in his father's giant shadow.  But he eventually came to terms with it.  I liked the quote about how he resolved himself to being the son of a famous father and the father of famous daughters.
MTRookie76
I am working my way through Tom McGuane books right now.  Only read two so far and have enjoyed both. The two I have read is "Gallatin Canyon Stories" and "Ninety-two in the Shade".  McGuane has a way with words that is nothing short of genius.  Have not read any of his outdoor stuff yet, looking forward to it though.  If you have never read his stuff check him out.
DennisMcFeely
I have become a recent convert to the fan club of Guy de la Valdene.  Though I enjoyed all his books I found For A Handful of Feathers to be the best.

Almost done with "The Tattered Autumn Sky" by Tom Davis.  

You may appreciate his Wisconsin ties.  And if you're a fan of birddogs, grouse, woodcock and western prairie bird hunting, you'll enjoy his essays.  

I love his style and consider him one of the best writers in the upland hunting/bird dog market today.

Ken

tartanshooter

Arnold Gingrich was the founding editor of Esquire magazine and his:

The Joys of Trout

and

The Well Tempered Angler

Are as near and dear to my heart as is Spiller, Foster, and Woolner.

Dick

Almost done with "The Tattered Autumn Sky" by Tom Davis.  

You may appreciate his Wisconsin ties.  And if you're a fan of birddogs, grouse, woodcock and western prairie bird hunting, you'll enjoy his essays.  

I love his style and consider him one of the best writers in the upland hunting/bird dog market today.

Ken

read and re-read a couple times. one my favorite (if not the favorite) contemporary wing shooting books.

Couple of oldies but goodies if looking outside hunting and fishing reads.

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson (Genre Cyber Punk)

"Watership Down" by Richard Adams

Olaf

I'm reading Fire Season - Philip Connors right now, it's interesting, about being a wilderness fire lookout, his thoughts bounce around in an interesting fashion.
The Book Thief     Markus Zusak
Rex Hoppie
You are not reccommending "Great Expectations"?

i just finished a compilation of Hemingway's short stories.  A few I'd read, most I had not.  Apparently he died with a lot of odds and ends stashed away that never got finished.  Lots of good stuff there, and also some pieces that left me saying, "I could do as well."

But he truly was America's greatest author.

I'm rereading my dog training books. Its been 11 years.