REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ghostdog

book recommendations

Dave Gowdey

Rereading the Judge Dee novels by Robert Van Gulik.  Current one is Judge Dee at Work.  Chinese mysteries from the Tang dynasty I think - great summer reading.

Also the new books by Alexander McCall Smith - he writes so well that its easy to get jealous.  Pretty much anything he writes is worth reading.

oldredruff

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...moon+empire+of

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

very good

Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor by Russell S. Bonds (Sep 15, 2008)

ok

Dangerous River, The by R. M. Patterson (Sep 1, 2009)

In 1927, British-born writer and adventurer Patterson braved the Nahanni, "this strange river with the beautiful name," in rugged Northwest Canada

One of the 10 best Adventure Paddling Books. --Cecil Kuhn, Canoe and Kayak 05/2003

Classic account of YK\NWT country 83 years ago

Peterson
.edited for dumbness

Larry Brown
If you're into WWII history, try "Wild Bill Donovan", the story of the WWI medal of honor winner who created and led the OSS (forerunner of CIA) in WWII.  By Douglas Waller.  I'd read one earlier biography of Donovan, but this one contains a lot of recently declassified material.  Donovan had nearly as many bureaucratic enemies to fight as he did Nazis and Japs.

Cooter Brown

It'd been a long time (like 15 years) since I had read "The Sun Also Rises" and I found a copy of it at my cousin's cabin--I think it was one of his kid's school assignments.  I had forgotten how funny some parts were.

Now I'm reading Pat Conroy's "My Losing Season", a memoir of his senior season on The Citadel's basketball team.

ghostdog
CB, The Sun Also Rises is far and away my favorite Hemingway book. The conversation about a stuffed dog is pretty funny.

Uplander
Any Jim Harrison novel/novella.  I'm currently on a tear rereading almost all of them, and it's reaffirming my steadfast belief that he's America's foremost living author.

ghostdog
Uplander, I've tried reading a couple of Jim Harrison's books and he just turns me off. There is a pomposity to him I find very hard to take. I know other writers really admire him, and I know a lot of readers share opinion, but I can't seem to get into him. Do you recommend any book in particular?

atticus
1776 by David McCullough is a terrific read.  It's a great telling of how close it all came to failure.

upstate
reading "Woods Cop" series right now. very good books about a conservation officer in the UP. wriiten by Joseph Heywood

Larry Brown
1776 by David McCullough is a terrific read.  It's a great telling of how close it all came to failure.

I second that one!

ccavacini
You are not reccommending "Great Expectations"?

Ouch...there are those we have to read and those which we enjoy reading.

SARGENT
Last time around someone recommended Unbroken. Thanks!  Amazing true story.

juneboy1
Empire of the Summer Moon is a great book, how bad ass were the Comanchies!!  Also just finished The Fragrance of Grass by Guy de la Valdene. I have not read anymore of his but I sure plan to.  Also last summer best The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick.

Yukon1

I second that one!

I enjoyed this as well; especially the audio book version read by McCullough.

Right now I am reading a collection of short stories by P.G. Wodehouse, one of my favorite authors. The Jeeves Collection is really good.