book recommendations

Talk show by Dick Cavett is very entertaining even though a lot of the people are from a generation before my time.

Come October: Exclusivley woodcock by multiple authors is my favorite woodcock hunting book period.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldredruff

• Larry Brown

• ghostdog

• Peterson

Currently on bedstand: Eels, An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish by James Prosek

Neat creature w/lots of mystery and history.

Come October: Exclusivley woodcock by multiple authors is my favorite woodcock hunting book period.

I really enjoyed that book, too.

Currently reading "Willpower: the greatest human strength". Pretty interesting/revealing book.

Currently on bedstand: Eels, An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish by James Prosek

From trout to eels?  Might have to check that one out--never found eels all that appealing (unless they were cooked).

Reading [/i]Catch 22 now.  Ostensibly a comedy, but actually a little tough to get through.  Some very funny parts, but I don't think it was meant to be a comic work.

From trout to eels?  Might have to check that one out--never found eels all that appealing (unless they were cooked).

Reading [/i]Catch 22 now.  Ostensibly a comedy, but actually a little tough to get through.  Some very funny parts, but I don't think it was meant to be a comic work.

I'll be glad to send it to you when I am done. Just say the word.

Reading "Fur, Fortune, and Empire" by Dolin.  Chronicles the history of the N American fur trade.  About a quarter of the way through, so far a good book.
Reading "Fur, Fortune, and Empire" by Dolin.  Chronicles the history of the N American fur trade.  About a quarter of the way through, so far a good book.

"more beaver than stars in the sky"  :)

• 1 month later...
Just finished "102 Minutes", The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers, by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn. Fantastic book that renewed your faith in individuals and renewed your disgust at bureaucracy. There were some true unsung heroes in the former and villains in the later.
If no one mentioned it, "Wolfer" by Carter Niemeyer is just great.  I'm a third through it and look forward to every chance I get to read it.

I LOVE Catch 22.  Great comedy with a deeper undertone of what war does to men.  

After reading the book I realized that MASH was nothing more than a rip-off of this book.

• 4 weeks later...

Three recent books I have enjoyed:

Stephen Hunter - Soft Target - Abt. a terrorist attack on a US mall. Ray Cruz book

Dean Koontz- 77 Shadow St.- Abt. a "haunted" ritzy apartment house

Garth Stein - The Art of Racing in the Rain - Told from the point of view of a dog on his last day on earth, it's about his life with his owner, a Formula 1 race car driver wannabe.

Foxey Brown: A story of an Adirondack outlaw, hermit and guide as he might have told it

By  Charles Yaple

A good read. anyone who has spent time in Southern Adaks will especially like it.

The Tiger by John Vaillant

Spin

braque du upstate
i'm really enjoying theodore roosevelt's hunting trips of a ranchman and the wilderness hunter. not to bad for a harvard boy/new yorker. quite a bit of upland/waterfowl hunting so far.