book recommendations

"Deep Enough for Ivory Bills"  by James Kilgo is one I am currently re-reading.  I think it can be had for beans on ABEbooks.  Another book I re-read this week was "Big Woods" by Faulkner.  On my bedside table is "Tattered Autumn Sky."  They are all good reads.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldredruff

• Larry Brown

• ghostdog

• Peterson

1776 by David McCullough is a terrific read.  It's a great telling of how close it all came to failure.

You are not American if you don't read this

Not sure if it has been mentioned, i haven't read all the responses.  Not meant to be a political statement either.  I am about 20 pages from finishing the George Bush book "Decision Points"  Weather you like him or not, it makes for an interesting read.
Time for a visit with Call and McCrae.

tumblr_lemn4pMn0l1qz6f4bo1_500.jpg

I have to read this. The original made for TV miniseries makes me weep like a baby.  The best Western ever made, IMO.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, i haven't read all the responses.  Not meant to be a political statement either.  I am about 20 pages from finishing the George Bush book "Decision Points"  Weather you like him or not, it makes for an interesting read.

Read that, agree.

There have been plenty of good history books mentioned.

I'd also like to recommend Rick Atkinson's "An Army at Dawn"  it gives terrific detail about the campaign in North Africa at the start of US involvement in WWII.  I did not enjoy the second in the series "Day of Battle" as much; which followed US troops in the Sicilian  and Italian campaigns.  

I'm looking forward to the third in the series.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of TIme series. May be a bit with this.

I read that in highschool, it warms my heart that The Ron brought it up here.

1558213902.01._SL130_SCLZZZZZZZ__.jpg

Illumination in the Flatwoods, a Season with the Wild Turkey

I reread this lately after 8 years and it is a great read. It is one of the best nature books I have seen. It is better than the pbs show.

51ttdxvk7qL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.stephenbodio.blogspot.com/2012....ew.html

FYI former book reviewer for Gray's journal says this

"a gratuitous and absolutely true quote: this is the best book with fishing in it since A River Runs Through It."

I have been waiting for the library to bring it in for months now.

A River Runs Through It never got me cranked up like other books but I am hoping Blood Knots will be better.

Currently on bedstand: Eels, An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish by James Prosek

Neat creature w/lots of mystery and history.

419CF4SPFAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would say this is way better written on eels than the Prosek book. I have read some Prosek  but he didn't compare well with Fort.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of TIme series. May be a bit with this.

Looong ago I read some of these, only the first 4 were written and I let it go......they are still on the shelf and I have thought about starting again.