Would be MN Hunters/Anglers....

WindyHills

Hub I think you are mistaken if you think the system and the few people (not saying it needs to be a lot) needed to keep it running could have been allowed to keep going, if only the DNR thought it should.

If you think it could be run with NO staff, I'd disagree, and again point out personal data from hundreds of thousands of people sit on those servers.  

With a few clear statutory exceptions, everyone still working for state government at this time is doing so because a judge ruled they were critical.  

You are certainly welcome to mobilize a group to go in front of Judge Blatz and convince her that the people needed to run license sales should be declared critical and thus sent back to work.  I'd applaud you and I'm sure those employees would too!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WindyHills

• caleb

• Dan Voss

• Chris Raymond

I just find the whole thing sickening. I know how I'll vote the next time though. Whoever is the incumbant, Dem. or Rep. , they will be voted out.  And they better not have time to approve this football stadium.........That would be an absolute travisty.

Amazing that using some tax money to build a billion-ish dollar stadium still has legs when we can't find the money for core government functions.

Chris Raymond
when we can't find the money for core government functions.

From a state perspective these would be roads, bridges and public works, yes?

when we can't find the money for core government functions.

From a state perspective these would be roads, bridges and public works, yes?

I would certainly consider maintaining public infrastructure among government's most core functions: bridges that don't fall down, roads that have a moderately smooth surface, pipes that have been inspected to insure our water is safe to drink.  

I bet we have lots of different views on the proper scope of government, but I would guess most of us can still agree that the job isn't being done today.

I just find the whole thing sickening. I know how I'll vote the next time though. Whoever is the incumbant, Dem. or Rep. , they will be voted out.  And they better not have time to approve this football stadium.........That would be an absolute travisty.

Amazing that using some tax money to build a billion-ish dollar stadium still has legs when we can't find the money for core government functions.

Caleb,

Just stop it. You're from the state and you should know if you did your homework then budget that the Republican control House and Senate sent to the Democratic Gov. Dayton was an increase of 6% from the previous biennium. The Gov. wanted 12% increase and wanted to create a new 4th income tax bracket for the top 2%.

The Republicans sent a budget in the $36b range and the Gov wanted a budget in the $38b range.

There....I officially broke Brad's no Politics rule.

mn-az birds

I would gladly have a stadium bill pass.  It keeps the uplands empty each Sunday during October and November.  If the state didn't have the Vikings we would have more competition in the woods.

Good point!

Bill

MNSpaniels

I would gladly have a stadium bill pass.  It keeps the uplands empty each Sunday during October and November.  If the state didn't have the Vikings we would have more competition in the woods.

Good point!

Bill

+1

I hope the new Gophers coach can field a winning team too.  Take some of the pressure off Saturdays as well.

WindyHills

At least it sounds like the vikings appear to have compromised and agreed to shake lose a few hundred million more of their own dollars towards a stadium deal.  

Dan, since the party in control refuses to agree to a mediator's help to resolve the impasse, do you think they'd be agreeable to having Ziggy sit down with them?  One of their own ya know....might work!   :)

Caleb,

Just stop it. You're from the state and you should know if you did your homework then budget that the Republican control House and Senate sent to the Democratic Gov. Dayton was an increase of 6% from the previous biennium. The Gov. wanted 12% increase and wanted to create a new 4th income tax bracket for the top 2%.

The Republicans sent a budget in the $36b range and the Gov wanted a budget in the $38b range.

There....I officially broke Brad's no Politics rule.

I'm struggling to see how any of that connects to a stadium.

I'm not going to bicker with you about party politics, but two datapoints (and a little interpretation) are worth noting:

1) The tax hike is a restoration of the top level that was abolished during the Ventura era.  While it's a tax hike, it has a solid precedent.

2) The Humphrey Institute's latest public opinion poll indicated that Dayton's approval rating just dipped below 50% for the first time.  The Republican legislature was at 25%.  Regardless of how much both sides would like to insist that it is the other side that isn't compromising, the public is interpreting it differently.

This whole shutdown thing has really got my goat. It doesn't make a difference what side you fall on we elected these people to get a job done. Part of their job was to get a budget on time. They did not do that yet they do not suffer any real world consequences. They should lose their pay and benefits if they can't do their job!

Just my .02,

Olaf

With any special sessions do our politicians benefit financially because of extra time involved?  If so there is something wrong with that system.

Caleb,

The post that I was replying to was really a two-fer deal. 1) you bought up the stadium, 2) you brought up "we can't find the money for core government functions".

I was replying to the second. The funding was/is there for "core government functions".

The Vikings? They can go pack sand for all I care. I wasn't too thrilled about the Twins stadium deal either, but 80 home games makes it somewhat palatable...compared to the Vikings, what 18, home games? If the residents of Anoka County decide, through a democratic procedure of putting a new funding scheme on the ballot, then let Anoka County residents pay for it. Don't want to pay for it? Move from Anoka County, and if it's a sales tax, don't purchase anything in Anoka County. Easy.