Would be MN Hunters/Anglers....

sxsneubaum

$5 Billion?? You are complaining about $5 Billion?? Wusses.  Experience Illinois' mess, then complain.

License plates went from $48 to $100 in one day, all kinds of fun are ahead for you.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WindyHills

• caleb

• Dan Voss

• Chris Raymond

$5 Billion?? You are complaining about $5 Billion?? Wusses.  Experience Illinois' mess, then complain.

License plates went from $48 to $100 in one day, all kinds of fun are ahead for you.

It's not a 5 billion shortfall as we speak. It's 5 billion shortfall on the difference between projected incoming revenue in the next biennium and what some want to spend.

Projected revenue for the next biennium is 34-35 billion. Here's a thought, let's spend no more than we take in.....Ah but the catch is, "Hey let's tax the rich (some more) , and then we can spend more."

Ha, plates for our van were $210 van this year

Chris Raymond

If I had a bit more time, I would try to be more eloquent and provide more flow between my thoughts below, but quickly stated it comes down to the following nutshell for me.  

The root problems to these situations (WI teachers, MN shut down, DC budget crisis, etc.) as I see it are: a) the proportion of those doing the lifting and those being lifted is now so far out of whack to anything acceptable, and b) that in this economic crisis, people in the private sector have seen enough waste and lack of scalability from the public sector that we're finally having some dig in their heels and say enough is enough...period.  In the private sector businesses have to function on the revenue and credit available within fiscal reason/soundness, they do not have the ability to print more money, take on unlimited debt or constantly cash call owners for increasing amounts of money.  Either that or they fail and go out of business…as they should.  Hard adjustments and decisions are made between many competing and seemingly worthwhile constraints.  The problem in the public sector is that once spending and programs are put in place, they are extremely hard to remove or modify.  And the bigger the programs and spending, the more difficult any changes become as greater and greater dependence is wrought.  Changing one big program can obviously have more impact than changing a lot of smaller programs.  

For me the change would start with a massive re-ordering of our tax system.  If the PTB in both parties could ever set their egos and desires for power, control and social gerrymandering in both directions through income redistribution aside, maybe we could finally come to a system that would be unbiased and accepted as fair--the flat tax, no deductions, no tax code, no breaks and the additional revenue that could be generated on both the state and federal levels would probably be amazing.  Now this would undoubtedly have some impact on the tax professionals, both private and publics, in that industry and would require skin from the 48% of our populace that currently do not pay taxes.  

Yes, this would mean the tax professionals would have to find new employment but I'm willing to bet what they did find would be of greater economic benefit to our society as a whole than the dodge that is currently called the game.  Additionally, it would require those that haven't contributed on par to our society to begin or resume doing so going forward.  The problem is that we’re now approaching or have passed the point where control is in the hands of those receiving instead of those giving.  Why would those receiving now step up to the plate and re-order their world when in some respects they are on the gravy train?  

Frankly I’m tired of being characterized as being less than compassionate, amongst other things, when I’m more than willing to help those down on their luck…for a period of time.  I realize that some through incidence of ill fortune or birth can face more hurdles than others within our community but to me this isn’t an excuse to live one’s life with the constant expectation that others need to provide for me.  I’m a strong believer in personal responsibility and that the will of an individual can overcome many of the obstacles that life puts in front of us.  

Things have to change folks and in my opinion they have to be big changes, wholesale reorientations of thought and practice by government and by individuals.  To me scabbing on little changes here and there only perpetuates the convolution of what we currently have.

WindyHills

It IS a 5 billion shortfall as we speak. It's 5 billion shortfall on the difference between projected incoming revenue in the next biennium and THE FORECASTED COST OF CONTINUING THE EXACT SAME LEVEL OF STATE GOVERNMENT SERVICES.

Fixed it for ya.

I know that isn't what one side is spinning the story to read as...but frankly fed up with the lies from both.  

Too important to too many people to not tell the truth.  

There is nothing wrong with strong preferences either way.

If you want to spend the same amount next year as in the last--just don't distort the facts!   Which--if the desire is to be completely truthful--have to include increased costs per inflation, decreased revenue from the federal incentives...and the reality that all that means job losses and program cuts!

According to MN OMB, 39 billion is the projected cost of continuing the exact same status quo.  

Faced with that...36 billion was the offer by one side, 34 billion by the other--you can probably figure out who's who.  

The positive thing is that both sides moved together--the negative--they are still a few billion apart and dug in both on their current $$ position and on which programs they want cut.  As you can imagine, that falls down party lines too... :(

Keep in mind when you talk billions of dollars in our state, it's a much bigger deal than billions in a state with many more people.

WH,

Yep sure there is a loss of some Federal monies....it that whole STIMULUS thingy...see that should have used as one time spending, but it's my opinion that STIMULUS money was used to further long term spending. That was a cool little ploy by some folks in Washington.

Yes sir there's trouble here in River City...and it's about time that MN spending stays frozen...no increase for inflation jack, frozen. State spending has been on a runaway path for far too long..and spending  at the state level needs to be reigned in.

I won't reply...I hear the PH'er idling in the background.

nobirdshere

It looks like the beer and booze will be running out now too!

No Beer!

More Bad News!

I am not sure what it means for the craft brewers, but more bad news for our friends and neighbors next door. No word in the articles about potential Grainbelt shortages. As long as Summit remains viable and available, people should be OK, unless the swill drinkers resort to drinking quality product and the craft brewers can't meet demand.

Good luck neighbors!

I'm stopping off to buy a few cases of my beloved Coors light tonight!

Luckily for me the liquor store in Wisconsin is closer to me than the liquor store in Minnesota.

Well minus my good friend losing state support (single mom.. long story I'm not going to get into), government workers getting the shaft, no lottery, no parks ect ect.  Its touched the beer supply and that's where I draw the line of it getting stupid.  I'm thinking MN politicians saw the WI fiasco and had to one up them.  grrr.... how dare they go after my cheap beer

I once had a Russian prof who said that every time Russia has tried to reduce vodka consumption by taxing it there's been a revolution.

Minnesotans might be more Russian than they think.  If the beer runs out there'll be people with pitchforks on the capitol steps for sure.

Chris Raymond
Caleb--Sounds like patience won out in the end.  Notice that I didn't predict who's patience it would be though.  ;-)
Caleb--Sounds like patience won out in the end.  Notice that I didn't predict who's patience it would be though.  ;-)

It ain't over by a long shot.

i'm guessing there's going to be riots as soon as we're only left with micro brews and bud light.  Once they touch my finnigans beer then i may go riot