REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rhode Island

Easiest Duck Recipe Ever

Rhode Island

I'm not going to impress anyone with my culinary creativity or prowess here, but then again I never claimed to want to try, so:

Duck stroganoff (or something awfully similar to it anyhow)

4 puddle duck breasts (I used Black Duck tonight)

2 cans of the cheapest Cream of Mushroom soup you can buy

1 of the cheapest beef bullion cubes you can buy

1 can of the cheepest mushrooms you can buy (see a trend here?)

That's it.  Cut the ducks into chunks and throw it all in the crockpot on low for 8 or so hours.  Serve over whatever pasta you prefer (I bought an $.88 box of bowtie).  

No fancy spices, no slicing or dicing fresh ingredients, no standing over the stove for hours, and it was probably the best way I've made duck yet (and I've been eating a lot of it lately).  The fact that I used black duck helped, but I'd bet geese or maybe even divers would be fine this way (though I'd probably mix a diver and a puddler just to be safe).

Oh yeah, wash down with a room-temp PBR . . .mmmmm . . .

RI

thornvalley
but I'd bet geese or maybe even divers would be fine this way ...

Well, I can comment first hand that geese are delicious this way. I won't comment on the divers though.

Hey RI, next time you kill a goose, toss it in a crock pot, cover the meat with PBR, ad a bullion cube of your choice, salt and pepper to taste, then cook for about 6-8 hours.

You'll be amazed. I like to eat mine on a toasted bun with horse radish sauce like a roast beast samich. Awesome.

I'm not going to impress anyone with my culinary creativity or prowess here, but then again I never claimed to want to try, so:

Duck stroganoff (or something awfully similar to it anyhow)

4 puddle duck breasts (I used Black Duck tonight)

2 cans of the cheapest Cream of Mushroom soup you can buy

1 of the cheapest beef bullion cubes you can buy

1 can of the cheepest mushrooms you can buy (see a trend here?)

That's it.  Cut the ducks into chunks and throw it all in the crockpot on low for 8 or so hours.  Serve over whatever pasta you prefer (I bought an $.88 box of bowtie).  

No fancy spices, no slicing or dicing fresh ingredients, no standing over the stove for hours, and it was probably the best way I've made duck yet (and I've been eating a lot of it lately).  The fact that I used black duck helped, but I'd bet geese or maybe even divers would be fine this way (though I'd probably mix a diver and a puddler just to be safe).

Oh yeah, wash down with a room-temp PBR . . .mmmmm . . .

RI

RI,

Sounds great. I'll have'ta give it a try.

You can do something very similar with pheasant -- just substitute 1.5 can (from the cream of mushroom soup) fulls of white wine for the bullion cubes, and add 5 gloves of cut garlic and half of a large white onion cut up into small pieces. Use a half of pound of real sliced mushrooms, lightly browned them, the garlic, and onion in olive oil before dumping them in the mix.

Serve over rice, or better yet -- polenta.

Use both the breast and the thigh  pieces. Good stuff.

Gary.

Gary i use the exact same recipe for quail, there is nothing better than little quail legs to snack on.

Breakfast Boy
Oh yeah, wash down with a room-temp PBR . .

Well, after that comment, I'm not sure I trust your taste buds R.I.!!  Room temperature even!  Wow!

I've got a wood duck to cook up and was browsing through here to find a recipe.  PBR....HA!

Breakfast Boy
but I'd bet geese or maybe even divers would be fine this way ...

Well, I can comment first hand that geese are delicious this way. I won't comment on the divers though.

Hey RI, next time you kill a goose, toss it in a crock pot, cover the meat with PBR, ad a bullion cube of your choice, salt and pepper to taste, then cook for about 6-8 hours.

You'll be amazed. I like to eat mine on a toasted bun with horse radish sauce like a roast beast samich. Awesome.

That sounds pretty good, Scott.  I've heard so many guys complain that goose is too greasy, but this sounds delicious.  Might have to go goose hunting in the morning.

Rhode Island
substitute 1.5 can (from the cream of mushroom soup) fulls of white wine for the bullion cubes

Gary.

Gary,

can the wine come from a box  :upside:

RI

Gary i use the exact same recipe for quail, there is nothing better than little quail legs to snack on.

Cool.

You ever use the "Golden Mushroom" soup instead of Cream of Mushroom soup? I like it better yet.

Gary.

substitute 1.5 can (from the cream of mushroom soup) fulls of white wine for the bullion cubes

Gary.

Gary,

RI

RI,

Don't see why not. I've never bought wine in a box, myself. What brand to you like?

Gary.

Mike Krol

Uh, guys, what is PBR?  In my vernacular it's always meant Pabst Blue Ribbon, but I can't imagine anyone drinking it at room temperature (although I do realize that in a pinch we're all willing to resort to extremes).

Are you really talking about beer here?

thornvalley

Mike,

Yep, good ol' PBR. However, I highly recommend avoiding the room temperature recommendation,. Unless of coarse you're a starving grad student subsisting on 2 day old pizza, frozen burritos, ramen noodles, and whatever game you can scratch down. Then it's perfectly acceptable. Don’t ask me how I know.

Scott

Mike Krol

Well I'll be danged... gonna have to try this recipe next week (although I'll likely substitute Sam Adams for PBR).  And as far as room temperature beer goes, it can be downright tasty at times, so I've been told (of course, no first-hand experience with such a thing).

Thanks for clarifying, Scott!

Mike

Rhode Island

Gary.

Gary,

RI

RI,

Don't see why not. I've never bought wine in a box, myself. What brand to you like?

Gary.

Actually I don't drink wine, I was just trying to make a joke.  I am an uncivilzed country boy and quite proud of it.

BB,

I wouldn't disgrace that wood duck in a crock pot.  They are such fine table fare they deserve to be cooked on the grill and savored medium rare.  At most I'd use your favorite marinade, potentially with a slice of bacon to cover each breast.  Wood ducks never make it to the freezer with me . . . mmmmm . . .

Mike,

PBR is one of my staples  :upside:

RI

Rhode Island

BTW, TV, I've got plenty of goose in the freezer, so I'll certainly give your PBR goose a try.  Next on the list is spagetti with mallard sauce though . . .

RI

Gary.

Gary,

RI

RI,

Gary.

Actually I don't drink wine, I was just trying to make a joke.  I am an uncivilzed country boy and quite proud of it.

RI,

Somehow my reply was misunderstood. I wasn't trying to be demeaning at all, and was simply following your line of thought.

When  you asked if the wine could come from a box, I had no idea that you didn't drink wine, and was simply interested in what type of box wine you liked.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on this.

Gary.