REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rhode Island

Easiest Duck Recipe Ever

Here's a new one I just recieved, that even though it would involve a little extra time, sure sounds good:

-------------------------

For 4 to 6 duck breast halves

Marinade:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 to 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced fine

1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped fine

2 tablespoons fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped fine

6 ounces teriyaki sauce

1 ounce Jack Daniel's (or just a splash more for good measure!)

salt and fresh-ground black pepper

Mix all marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add the duck breasts and toss until evenly coated. Put the meat and marinade into a zip-sealed plastic bag. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 2 to 4 hours.

Now, get your charcoal grill ready (you may use a gas grill, but you just don't get that same flavor). When the flame has just died out, and the coals are stacked and hot, start placing the duck breasts on the grill. Cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until rare to medium rare. Do not overcook! Remove the breasts from the grill and let them rest for a minute. Slice them on the bias and serve.

-------------------------------

I think I would save this one for fresh duck, and lean towards using mainly puddle ducks.

Still, it would go good with PBR, I would serve the beer cold.

Gary.

Breakfast Boy

BB,

I wouldn't disgrace that wood duck in a crock pot.  They are such fine table fare they deserve to be cooked on the grill and savored medium rare.  At most I'd use your favorite marinade, potentially with a slice of bacon to cover each breast.  Wood ducks never make it to the freezer with me . . . mmmmm . . .

LOL!  Actually, that is my plan with the wood duck.  I basted some dove last fall with 50/50 mix of Heinz 57 and honey, then wrapped it in bacon.  Thought of trying that with the wood duck, but I think I'll just stick to a marinade and the bacon.  I've heard it's great eatin'.

Rhode Island
Don't worry Gary, I got ya  :)

Rhode Island

FYI, I did the beer/bullion thing Scott, except I fried up some mushrooms and onions and added some fresh wisconsin swiss (thanks Mom) on an Italian sub roll ala a steak and cheese.  

Pretty effin' good.

RI

Breakfast Boy
FYI, I did the beer/bullion thing Scott, except I fried up some mushrooms and onions and added some fresh wisconsin swiss (thanks Mom) on an Italian sub roll ala a steak and cheese.  

Pretty effin' good.

RI

Insert mouth-drooling emoticon here...

Russell
I'm not going to impress anyone with my culinary creativity or prowess here, but then again I never claimed to want to try, so:

Duck stroganoff (or something awfully similar to it anyhow)

4 puddle duck breasts (I used Black Duck tonight)

2 cans of the cheapest Cream of Mushroom soup you can buy

1 of the cheapest beef bullion cubes you can buy

1 can of the cheepest mushrooms you can buy (see a trend here?)

That's it.  Cut the ducks into chunks and throw it all in the crockpot on low for 8 or so hours.  Serve over whatever pasta you prefer (I bought an $.88 box of bowtie).  

No fancy spices, no slicing or dicing fresh ingredients, no standing over the stove for hours, and it was probably the best way I've made duck yet (and I've been eating a lot of it lately).  The fact that I used black duck helped, but I'd bet geese or maybe even divers would be fine this way (though I'd probably mix a diver and a puddler just to be safe).

Oh yeah, wash down with a room-temp PBR . . .mmmmm . . .

RI

I gave this a try today except I modified it becuase I can't find the croc. I went all out and bought 3 cans of soup (80cents each) becuase I like my stuff moist :D I then just took the fry pan that I cooked the mushrooms in and toss in the cubed duck breast and lightly cooked them. Mixed the duck, soup and shrooms alltogether and only cooked enough pasta for my lunch. Now I don't dont have to worry about dried up pasta. Just a quick boil and toss some sauce on it and this boy is all set for three meals. Oh, a little bread and butter was also a good side treat.

I actually lived on this stuff when I was in college except I used canned tuna. We had a competition to see who could make the cheepedst but best tasting meal.