Breaking down on the road -

Briarscratch

Let me share my little mishap from last weeks hunting trip.I have always carried extra stuff like fanbelts,oil,headlights,comealong,chains,12 volt  winch,shovel,jacks,chainsaw,chiltons manual,ect.About a half our out from my destination after coming down a 4 or 5 mile hill my tranny missed a couple beats then so did my heart. A big fear of mine breaking down with the dogs.So I make it to the camping area set up all the crap I carry with me,prepare for rain and wait for Brushbuster to show up. Around dark Dennis pulls in as I'm pouring my first big glass of "forget about your transmission".We build a campfire and talk hunting.To shorten the story up we don the gore-tex in the morning and head out,guns went off 2 min. in the first cover.The tranny still acting up.The next day we head out to a few more spots but deep down I still thinking about a breakdown,witnessing a double by the Brushbuster did cheer things up a bit.With more rain in the forecast we pack up and leave early the next morning.I managed to keep the black truck running at 55mph most of the way.About 18 miles North of Scranton on 81 south I hear a bam,boom. bang look in my mirror and see my right rear tire in the passing lane.Clint.I wheel the beast to a grassy spot with Dennis witnessing from behind the scene.Look at all the traffic keep going(Thankfully nobody got hurt) the tire rolled into the cargo rack and down the bank.I made it into my AAA tow zone and got towed to a garage near home. Dennis made room for my 4 goldens and I rode with him.All 5 tire studs snapped off? I repaired the studs under a tarp in the rain the next morning and drove it home unloaded the rest of the stuff and went down to the AAA to renew my membership to the "premier" package.The truck is still running and am looking at a tranny rebuild. It looks like I'll be missing the southeren opener with some good friends this weekend.Had to share my personal account so close to Scratch's topic.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Briarscratch

• bobman

• braque du upstate

• River19

Scarey stuff. I am just glad you and the red dogs are OK and nobody got hit by your tire. Just last week in Mass, a guy died when a tire fell off a truck and another lady missed getting killed by about a foot when another tire came off a car.

I am sad that you aren't going to make the southern opener, but it makes it easier for me to let you know that I am not going to make it either. I've just got way too much work and I've got to pay "the man" for my last year's mis-calculation. Maybe the following weekend with Matt?

A couple of years back my cousin and I were driving back from SD, just outside of Madison, WI where three (I think) interstates come together. We were pulling an 18ft trailer with ATVs etc. It was about 9pm and there was a fair amount of traffic and all of a sudden there was an explosion as a rear tire blew out, I mean that sucker flat disappeared. We pulled the truck to the side of the road and when I stepped out I went straight down about 15 feet.

We called AAA, we could see the gas station, and it still took 45 minutes for him to get there. While the guy changed the tire I was sure that truck and trailer were going to tip over, which they didn't. I had a flashlight to wave vehicles to the center of the road and virtually the only ones to move over were the truckers.

When we got home I bought a new truck :p

Well, carrying roadside assistance on our car insurance paid off, fuel pump crapped out while I was taking the youngest to preschool.  

This is something I would normally tackle myself but I wasnt 100% sure that's what it was and my obi ii scanner couldn't tell me either.   So I had brought to a local guy, fuel pump was bad, no aftermarket unit available, only oem.  The oem pump is $420, 3 hrs to r/r closing in on a grand for a freakin fuel pump.  Sigh.

Well, &$%#. This has been on my mind hard recently and now I'm spurred to action. Thanks. You give a guy focused on birds a couple hours on single track roads to nowhere with no cell service and he can get himself in a serious survival situation in no time. I caught myself on opening day thinking, huh, if I broke down right now, I'd be ess-key-roo'd. Survival pack is on the weekend to do list. This flatlander's learnin.