REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
martydavis

What to do with some fresh pheasant breasts?

martydavis
Yesterday I got to spend a few hours at a preserve and brought home a few pheasants.  In a bowl of water in the fridge I have six pheasant breast filets and six thighs (bone still in).  Any suggestions of what I should do with them for supper?  Keep in mind my wife doesn't like spicy foods, but anything is game. (pun intended)

K dog

Here are a few of our favorites.  

Pound the meat, cut into bit size pieces, dip in egg then flour.  Fry in EVOO w/garlic and then add to a nice tomato sauce.  Serve over pasta.  It's great and easy.

We also like it marinated in teriyaki sauce, cook through in a fry pan and serve over rice.  I always pound it and it is so tender.

You really can do anything you do with chicken.  Have a nice meal.  I went to a preserve today too so it's pheasant for supper here too.

Rex Hoppie

Bake the breasts in a 9x13 baking dish.

I have had sucess pan frying the thighs in a little oil after rolling in flower, some salt and pepper.  

I like to bake the breasts with a package or two of Uncle Ben's wild rice, a can or two of Campbell's condensed cream of chicken soup, and a cup or two of water.  Substitute cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup.

Some abhor cooking game birds with rice or condensed soup but I will not apologize and consider myself problem free.

Downtown Bang!

Pheasant Breasts:

1. Cut into strips. Dip in seasoned flour, then egg & milk mixture, then in a seasoned mixture of 1/2 bread crumbs 1/2 parmesan cheese.  Fry until Golden Brown.  Serve with favorite dipping sauce (hot mustard, barbecue, seasoned sour cream etc.) and some crispy fried potatoes.

2. Country Style.  Pound thin. Coat in seasoned flour, dip in same egg/milk mixture, dip in seasoned cracker meal. (substitute panko bread crumbs for a really crispy crust).  Fry until golden Brown but do not overcook the thin cutlets. Serve with mashed potatoes and sawmill gravy made from the pan drippings.

I accumulate the pheasant thighs and legs. Freeze them and when I have enough debone and make Gumbo or a favorite soup you would use chicken with like Cream of Wild Rice.

However you cook them up, enjoy.

DB

12ette

Pound them flat. 1/8-1/4"

Stuff with brie, roll and tie with butchers twine.

Brown in butter on all sides (real butter!)

Simmer in dry white wine, or sherry 1/2 way up the rolled breast is plenty

Get a package of raspberries (frozen is easiest) run through a china dish, if you do not have a china dish you will have to deal with the bones.

Add balsamic vinegar and sugar simmer to reduce.  You want a syrup.  

Figure 2c berries, 1c vinegar, 1c sugar

After 10min or so the breast should be done, maybe quicker. the brie will start to ooze.

I like a wild rice on the side, something earthy.  

Place the breast on the plate, top with raspberry melba.

No berry?  No worries.  Use the wine finish the wine in the pan with 1/2 stick butter reduce (French).  Pour over the pheasant.

Roast potatoes, in olive oil.  Also, cut the tops off 2 whole cloves of garlic, cover in oil, roast about 500 till tender, figure 15min-ish.  The roast garlic and potatoes are very nice with a French sauce and the brie.

This will work well for grouse, quail, chicken, pheasant, and other light birds.  

Good luck

rosies dad
Thighs (deboned) are good eats. Those were lots of good ideas.

topdog1961
Nothing you can do to make them taste good, nasty stuff.  But I can help you out with your problem.  Drop them in some dry ice and overnight to me in Ohio.