REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Missed Again!

Internet Scouting --Do you?

Fishnfowler

Absolutely not.  I have far too much public land available to spend time lurking.  

As far as people chasing my spots down, I hardly kill birds.  Unless they want to hunt hard hit areas with few birds, they should target someone else.  I doubt anyone will hot spot my areas twice.

MAArcher

Interesting concept, but if you recognize an area from a photo, don't you already know about it?  

As far a just naming a town, that paints a pretty broad stroke doesn't it?  If you canvas a whole town looking to match a photo, I imagine you'd find your own hot spots before making a positive ID.  

Its not something i have to worry about anyway.  I have one true hot spot, for ducks, that I wouldn't tell anyone about but the one guy I hunt there with.  Other than that all my spots are lame, public and pressured.

Shadow

anyone who has any scense won't pay much attention to what someone said was a good area- unless- it's not a lurker before the hunting season and you actually cominucate in a reasonable manner and you feel you can give a few pointers out without 200 or so clueing in

230 miles SW of Ankorage, Alaska there is a river that winds 340 miles up into the big burn- 180 miles is where you find the major caribou crossing

there is a lake in North Minnesota, just off HWY71, 9 miles north of Park Rapids- you take a right- 27 square miles of tax forfeited logging land

enjoy- get lost- see if you are tough enough to go where the real hunting is

gloag
Sounds like a little disinformation can go a long way... or specifically send these covert poachers a long way in the wrong direction :)

rosies dad
There's a landmark in Kansas that shows up in just about every pheasant shot that comes out of there.

I don't ask for honeyholes or gps coordinates but I have searched the web for discussions of counties and areas that seem to be holding birds but half the fun for me is just exploring new places and the thrill I get when I stumble on a new to me spot that works out.

Pogodog

Would that landmark be a grain elevator? :D  :laugh:  :devil:

Sorry, couldnt help myself.

Chris Raymond
There are no birds in MI.

Kansas Big Dog
There's a landmark in Kansas that shows up in just about every pheasant shot that comes out of there.

I don't ask for honeyholes or gps coordinates but I have searched the web for discussions of counties and areas that seem to be holding birds but half the fun for me is just exploring new places and the thrill I get when I stumble on a new to me spot that works out.

Pogodog

Would that landmark be a grain elevator? :D  :laugh:  :devil:

Sorry, couldnt help myself.

Is this the elevator you are talking about?

DSC00884UJ.jpg

Steve Hunts
I don't post PE's or talk about the hunting/fishing here.  There are already hundreds of guys who do it, thus Montana has this "heaven on Earth" reputation.  Also, I don't feel the need to communicate to others how "successful" I am or how good my dogs are, etc.  Not meaning to criticize others it's just not for me.

wkburns
Over the last year I have posted less due to the above kind of talk. I enjoy doing PE's  because I like the photography aspect that the hunt offers. Doing PE's makes me take more photos as I try to improve on my photography. Sometimes landmarks such as mountains, an old barn, etc are going to add to a photos feel. However the more I see the above comments the less I feel like posting PEs. I do not mean to brag about my success, dogs, or what not, I just enjoy taking photos. I also find the photos fun to look back on over the years. I still take some photos but just don't post as often.

Kirklan
I personally went to hunt Mearns' quail specifically after reading one of RoySetters3 fine essays on hunting them.  If it wasn't for his post I would have never went.  Since then I have been back twice more and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that did so because of those essays.  To say that internet posts don't have an affect on specific or even general areas is IMO being naive.  I know for a fact that a certain area in MT received 4-5 times more pressure after it was pimped on this site, as I personally saw the increase from one year to the next.  Funny thing was, the bird numbers were down, but because of the talk, there were people all over the place that weren't there the previous year.  I don't get the need to name places, anymore I don't even want to say what state I'm in.  There are several locations that are on my list to hunt that I wouldn't have even known about if it wasn't for this site and others.  So, while I hate the internet scouting, I have certainly benefited from it.  It really is a love hate relationship.

North Dakota Hntr
I'll talk about a locality but not my specific spots.  If someone can find my spots from any pix I post more power to them.

My sentimants exactly!

Craig

North Dakota Hntr

I have just quit posting reports and photo essays.

Now, that is just a damn shame. Not because I would hot spot. Just because I know damn well I would love to read and see your story.

The photo essays on this site are most often superb. The best are not about bragging but just sharing with kindred souls. For me, it beats any magazine or TV show out there. I understand the need for some discretion but if we were all so paranoid this place would not be alive. (I mean no disrespect NBH, I figure if you and I got together for a hunt, weather that be on the prairies of my home with all those sharpies, huns and pheasants or, in the forests of your home with more ruffed grouse and doodles than I can possibly imagine, we would have a splendid time.)

Right now I am hunting in West Central MN. There are ruffed grouse here and 1 woodcock. Yes, that woodcock is still here. When I leave here, I'll be going home to western ND, where there are sharptails, huns, a bunch of ducks and geese and lots of pheasants (oh **** now the word is out). Pack your bags and load up the dogs.

I post not to brag (well maybe a little, it runs in the family) but more so to share my experiences with all those here who share theirs. I get great enjoyment out of it.

Thank you all, from all over this country, who go through the effort to write about your experiences and share your photos with us. I for one, greatly appreciate it.

Craig

Steve Hunts

wkburns,

I would not let this thread stop you, or anyone else, from posting PE's as lot's of guys love to see them.  In the big scheme of things what does it really matter?

Kirklan,

Reminds me of what happens when fishing magazines run stories about  specific rivers, etc.  Certainly a Catch-22. We had a local rag last year run a story about a certain river that caused quite a ruckus. A fishing guide's story about how all the guides fish XXX river when they aren't guiding.  Some folks were ready to lynch him after the story ran.

northern_hunting_mom
wkburns,

I would not let this thread stop you, or anyone else, from posting PE's as lot's of guys love to see them.  In the big scheme of things what does it really matter?

Kirklan,

Reminds me of what happens when fishing magazines run stories about  specific rivers, etc.  Certainly a Catch-22. We had a local rag last year run a story about a certain river that caused quite a ruckus. A fishing guide's story about how all the guides fish XXX river when they aren't guiding.  Some folks were ready to lynch him after the story ran.

Seriously? He deserves it.

UJ is, by and large, a tight-knit community. Its hard to remember that most of the board is public. A covert thief doesn't have to be a member. Its sad to think, that at the number of members who are here now, there will be bad apples. I still won't throw out the barrel because of it. I am more careful of the info I provide however.

Brad Eden

Well, I detest exclusive, private, only the right people boards or clubs. Goes against my grain. This one will remain predominantly open, public, and global where anyone w/internet access can view and anybody no matter who they know, what dog they use, what gun they carry and what bird they hunt can register and become a member.

This formula w/stories and PE's seems to have brought many folks together that may have never crossed paths otherwise.

I'm not going to apologize for any of the above and whether some feel this site "pimps" hunting spots.