REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Missed Again!

Internet Scouting --Do you?

Peterson

Google exif editor.  There are some free programs that work fine.  I can't remember the name of the program I used on my pc.  Someone on here might have a suggestion to.

I just switched to a mac a couple of weeks ago, photo privacy is the only program I've tried.

Missed Again!
Not everyone has the opportunity to live in good bird territory.

Incorrect.  Everyone has the opportunity to live in good hunting territory.  In the US there are no restrictions on where you can move to. Some people make large sacrifices to move to areas with better hunting opportunities. They leave jobs, family, friends and all the security they have to start over in a new place.  That certainly doesn't give them any exclusive hunting rights though.

Flairball

That certainly doesn't give them any exclusive hunting rights though.

You and I might be the only ones who subscribe to this.

Kansas Big Dog
I'm not going to apologize for any of the above and whether some feel this site "pimps" hunting spots.

What else ya Pimping? :D

Actually I agree.

wkburns
One thing that does bother me is how it is OK to post what town you are in while hunting prairie birds but it is not OK with ruffed grouse.

I'm going to take a stab at this Wade, right or wrong and at least give my view point.

In an initial inquiry I posted for reports as to what it looked like and how it was going for the guys in X State, hunting X birds(I use X birds here now, because lets face it, there are only about 3-4 States where X birds reside); I mentioned the State and Grasslands. Not too specific I thought, but yet the beginnings of this very topic started with that request. Now from my best Googling attempts, that State is some 77,000+ square miles. By saying Grasslands, I narrowed that down to roughly 1,100 square miles. Still a pretty large area in my estimation.

Later after returning myself, I gave an honest report back to that inquiry of mine letting it be known that birds were spotty, numbers down, including a 3rd species I don't even care to hunt.

I then followed up with a PE of my own, being ever so careful not to show any signage or very identifiable landmarks, while still trying to show the beauty of the area and also posting a few obligatory tailgate/fence post shots of birds and dogs. In that PE I mentioned that my camp was North of X major city. Not the small local buroughs/townships near area's I hunted, but a major "metropolis" for this State. No roads mentioned, no identifiable names of waterways, resevoirs, etc... By my best guess, I still hadn't narrowed it down to any less than roughly 400 square miles and I hunted Walk In, Wildlife Production, School Lands and Grasslands. At that time, I didn't feel as though I was actually giving specific enough info for anyone, even the most tech savvy, to realistically or successfully hotspot. I later PM'ed with a few others that were out and about in the same areas and they had no where near the "success", yet were hunting in very near areas to where I was. By near, I mean along the very same roads. With that in mind, it seemed that the difference in one canyon/draw could make all the difference in the world as to success or failure.

Here is my foopah if you will, that same area(400 sq. ml) would cover all 3 of the States/Regions I normally hunt in around home here back East. Mentioning a small town(they all are) here, would narrow it down to less than half a dozen mountain ranges and to be honest, even then a hot spotter would have a dammed difficult time locating a cover that I hunt. They might get onto the same range, but the same cover??

I often joke around about hunting in WestPennsylVirginMaryTucky and the such, but the fact is, I could say I hunt within 25-50 miles of  Cumberland, MD and I seriously doubt anyone would find a cover they are not already aware of and hunt, that is public and they won't be able to get access to the private lands I hunt.

Giving my honest opinion, I feel you are more likely to get burned by taking someone to your cover(I have been), than you are to have an "Internet Hotspotter" figure it out and find your honey holes. That said, I don't mind sharing locations with the traveler that is coming through my area, or would like to hunt with me some time and is not likely to be hunting here but maybe a time or two a season. The folks I won't share with any longer(after being burned), are the guys that are able to be in "my" covers in less than a 2-3 hour drive.

Heck, just a couple weeks ago when Wildbird was up, I told him an EXACT location to go too, to exercise his Shorthair Hazel and had him on a Doodle within being out of his truck for less than 5 minutes.

Over all it is not worth the argument. I have decided to not bother with PEs anymore. Mentioning towns I still disagree with. there is no need for it. Never have seen the reason one even needs to mention it.

Missed Again!
Mentioning towns I still disagree with. there is no need for it. Never have seen the reason one even needs to mention it.

I don't see why anyone even thinks they have to name the state! I think PEs can be done very well without names of towns or states and by carefully using pictures that don't give away locations.

wkburns
Mentioning towns I still disagree with. there is no need for it. Never have seen the reason one even needs to mention it.

I don't see why anyone even thinks they have to name the state! I think PEs can be done very well without names of towns or states and by carefully using pictures that don't give away locations.

True enough. The bird is what it should be about.

Almost Heaven GSP's
I sincerely wasn't looking to argue, but was just offering up my perspective that naming those areas never struck me as pointing a finger towards a good spot when I originally posted, thus why in my answer those locations have now become "X".

Bonasa
Several years ago someone on the Michigan board posted a map with crossroads showing where the grouse camp was going to be then they had  a sign out on a main highway.

The closest "large" unbroken spot of cover near there is virtually devoid of birds after Oct 1. Anyone can see it on a map near those crossroads.

I went in there on Oct. 2 this year and the two spots I wished to park both had trucks with out of state plates on them.  :(

Last year I got turned around in there and hitched a tailgate ride back to my trail from a hunter from PA.

He said, "where did all the birds go?"

The secrets out and it's been shot out. Internet scouting at work I do believe.

Sons of bitches were probably on their quest for 100 birds…………… Oo.gif  :oops:

Rotflmao.... :laugh:  :laugh:

gunsrus
I hunt the Maine timber co. 5-6 hours from my home . I have mentioned the towns several times . On any given day I will hunt and travel the logging roads looking for cuts that are just about the right age . I've gotten friends into real good bird #'s . Like Brad , I can travel these roads all day and seldom see another bird hunter . Sure gets lonely sometimes .  :down:

Wisconsin

Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Ken

Moe Birds

Hey Troll..(Missed Again),

You could have saved us a lot of hassle and back-and-forth, dividing the forum members in the process, by stating this' when you first posted your trollish-thread like 8 pages ago (?);...

:p

..But of course you waited till now, when long-standing members who have been submitting 'amazing Photo Essay's on Upland Journal for years' (Wkburns and others)...Have now since decided "not to post them any longer.."....All because YOU kept bumping this thread up' till you got to where you wanted it so you could "really say what was on your mind all along..."

Its a classic case really, 'act all innoccent and naive, like you dont know any better as far as forums go (but of course you do)';...Then spring the old "...but I was just simply responding to a post" total BS when someone busts you' on your lame assed rebuttal (me)...

:laugh:

I mean...Give us a break dude, we've seen it before...This is total and blatant online-trollishness (look it up) and there's no other more obvious example of it than this thread.

Nobody can be this naive.

Moe :glare:

North Dakota Hntr

This is ridiculous!

Craig

North Dakota Hntr

The bird is what it should be about.

With all due respect. Huh?

Craig