Internet Scouting --Do you?

Missed Again!

Seems like this topic has been discussed before:

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....t=62243

I chose to stop posting photo's of my hunts on here because I don't think Montana needs any more exposure. I realize this state isn't a secret but Kirklan is right - certain areas in this state have seen dramatic increases in pressure due to this board and I'm sure we could say the same for Saskatchewan and Idaho. I know there's some great people on this board and I've helped several who have PM'd me with not just regional areas and info; but gotten as specific as down to the road to take and a landmark on where to start your dog but I won't do that any longer.

When I decided to stop posting photo's I realized that I didn't have much else to contribute to the board so I haven't been active. There are some issues on this board that are contentious and discussed often, like internet scouting, grazing, politics, etc. but after all this time what else can be said about them? If you've spent any kind of time on this board you'll know who's going to weigh in and what their position is and you know at some point the discussion will either get locked down or eventually everyone will go to their neutral corners until the opportunity presents itself for some topic to be argued again. I decided to stop chiming in on those threads and never cared to read threads where some of the more prominent posters started in with a lot of the grab ass stuff but do check back in on the board for the photo essays. I cringe when I see specific areas and towns mentioned but there have been some great images and stories captured on here and I hope that continues.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flairball

• Briarscratch

• North Dakota Hntr

• Missed Again!

Well, I detest exclusive, private, only the right people boards or clubs. Goes against my grain. This one will remain predominantly open, public, and global where anyone w/internet access can view and anybody no matter who they know, what dog they use, what gun they carry and what bird they hunt can register and become a member.

This formula w/stories and PE's seems to have brought many folks together that may have never crossed paths otherwise.

I'm not going to apologize for any of the above and whether some feel this site "pimps" hunting spots.

Interesting that this statement precedes adding a new forum section dedicated to he subject of PEs and "secret spots" which requires a passcode. Just saying.

Just curious; if repeated passcode failures result in having posting priviledges suspended, what does posting PEs and over-informative reports earn you?  :D

Missed Again!

I think there's a big difference between posting a picture taken in a WC or ruff covert in MN or NH, which doesn't show much and would be very difficult to identify, and photos taken out West with wide panoramic vistas and easily identifiable landmarks like mtn. ranges, reservoirs with power lines coming from the dam, lakes and even roads off in the valley.  I found out about UJ when an alarmed friend emailed me that someone had named the town he pulled into to start his vacation and then posted pictures with recognizable landmarks in the background.  It was one of our hunting areas!  In fact, some of the photos were exactly where I've been hunting for 30 years! Naming the town (which I think was later deleted) and naming hunting management areas nearby made it very easy for anyone to figure out where the hunts were, and the stories were usually about how successful the hunts were and all the  birds that were found.

There's no doubt that the increase in non-resident hunters in that area is a direct result of some of those posts.

I enjoy reading the PEs as much as anyone and appreciate the effort the writers put into it.  But there's no need to mention towns or even the state the hunt takes place in.  It's also easy to edit or eliminate photos that show identifiable landmarks.  I know there's been increased interest in hunting some states because of Internet posts.  Sometimes it sounds like a poster is working for the state Dept. of Tourism when they write about the great hunting and unique opportunities in that state.

I've also noticed that some of the posters who mention names of places they travel to never mention areas near their home where they find birds.

Please be courteous to the local hunters and don't do anything to put more pressure on their areas.  It only takes 10 or 15 new hunters in some areas for a couple weeks to have a big impact.  Also, I notice that most non-residents who find a place with birds hammer the he11 out of it while they're there.   Maybe they figure they're only there a short time and won't be back again, so why not?  

I've even seen a map posted on UJ and the poster said it's a good chukar hunting area. Unbelievable!

North Dakota Hntr
 We just need to remember to keep the details a mystery.

I really don't know but I suspect if one were to look back on the PE's I've done, the details on location are pretty vague other than the State I'm in. When I'm hunting near home it's pretty obvious that I'm in western ND. Photos may show some landmarks and that is upsetting as everybody looking for a place to hunt will see that and then hunt there.

Still going to post them so don't ask me to hunt your spots with you. When I post that picture of the tree, or that hill, or that certain road, The mountain in the background or those coots in the pond, the whole world will know where those pics were taken and come hunt there.

Craig

Still going to post them so don't ask me to hunt your spots with you. When I post that picture of the tree, or that hill, or that certain road, The mountain in the background or those coots in the pond, the whole world will know where those pics were taken and come hunt there.

Craig

Right on!

Never. I do hunt by myself 95% of the time though. I can not remember the last time I chukar hunted with someone. I worked my rear off to find a number of places, and pics of an area are something I would not post. Huge difference between flat ground and wester mountains. A Picture could be a road map.
Well, I detest exclusive, private, only the right people boards or clubs. Goes against my grain. This one will remain predominantly open, public, and global where anyone w/internet access can view and anybody no matter who they know, what dog they use, what gun they carry and what bird they hunt can register and become a member.

This formula w/stories and PE's seems to have brought many folks together that may have never crossed paths otherwise.

I'm not going to apologize for any of the above and whether some feel this site "pimps" hunting spots.

Interesting that this statement precedes adding a new forum section dedicated to he subject of PEs and "secret spots" which requires a passcode. Just saying.

Just curious; if repeated passcode failures result in having posting priviledges suspended, what does posting PEs and over-informative reports earn you?  :D

Me thinks that new "forum" is a tongue in cheek poke at exclusivity.

Bottom line is, if i was planning a trip soon I'd pay close attention to this board. That and some calls to biologists would narrow it down pretty good I think. That said I think word travels fast anyway. In 01/02 we had birds not seen for a long time. We also had hunters from everywhere not seen before or since.
Mike Connally

I'm not sure that I have seen anything real specific as to hunting spots on this board.  I have had requests for locations after several PE's.  In one case I narrowed it down to an area of about 3 million acres.  In another case I allowed that the spot was in Tidewater VA.  

The worst damage I ever saw to a specific spot was when Frank Jesorio gave out specific hunting information in a magazine article for popular hunting destination in West VA.

I have given out specific information via PM to UJ members.  I don't expect that information to be passed on to anyone else, and I don't think the resource will be harmed.

I know another upland website I look at now and again [ditch chickens] the guys from Kansas are always crying about too many out of state hunters from the website, and others have ruined the hunting, and are even asking guys to go elsewhere until the hunting gets better.

Interesting.  I can sympathize with opinions on all sides, which probably just makes me an indecisive wimp.  I will admit that having the town near my home covers called out, not just in the text of UJ, but in the topic title irked me.  I've peed and moaned for years about the out of state pressure in and around my home covers, but I still find and kill birds.  That existed before UJ and is perhaps a tad worse since.  Causality is a difficult thing. The towns in and around my covers survive on tourist dollars.  The economy has left many locals on their knees and they make no bones about bragging up the hunting to get those very out of state license plates into our woods.  Seeing an idea from a hunting trip in a UJ PE might be a clue, but I suspect an internet scout will be using a multiple of resources to confirm the clue before putting dollars in the gas tank.  And the local chambers of commerce will be happy to oblige.

Part of my problem is that if you took any map of northern ZZ and located the national forests (they are green for you internet poachers) and put your finger in the center of one of the largest you would be in my driveway.  Maybe my bad for choosing to locate there.  The ultimate savior for "my" area is that grouse are cyclical.  When in the depths of the cycle the hunting sucks.  That will soon be upon us again, people will make a few bust trips and then reallocate their travel dollars to other opportunities.  By the time they, and the cycle return, yesterday's prime will no longer be prime.

What I do see happening with UJ and internet media, is that time has become compressed.  Information is SO much easier to come by that bird hunters, despite being a finite group, can swamp and area quickly.  What once might have been a trickle building to a stream is now more likely to be a storm surge.  Roads, vehicles and the speed of information get better every year.

Except for the musings of a hand full of guys that I have really come to know and respect the PE's on UJ are what mostly keep my interest alive.  It would be a shame if finding a rig parked in one of your favorites kept you from sharing your photos, but I would understand.  I have come up with my own solution to the dilema.  I will now cut and paste pictures of salivating wolves into all my cover photos.

Phred

Briarscratch

I went to Phred Lake and the competition from the locals was fierce.  

solongbambi.jpg

Not sure what happened to my dog.  I let her out of the truck and she just vanished.

hungrylikeawolf.jpg

The ******* Internet LIED!  Definitely NOT going back next year.

traveller2926

Last year while hunting near the south central part just a bit close to the northern section of the county line just west of the eastern border of a neighoring county just a bit south of the north/north west general area of Taylor County WI I saw that wolf - the friendly looking one on the left.  You know, the one in the prior photo.  If you can't cyber stalk my covert from my directions included above, you sure will be able to find it from the smell....  from me and my setters.

Sadly, I do not own any land other than the acerage, the entire 3/4 acre, that my home sits on; but, I have the pleasure to hunt a lot of land that is not mine, but the land of the citizens of the United States and even state lands that I did not contrubute to other than hunting permit fees.  So, if you find one of my covers, enjoy it.  You helped pay for it.  Thanks.

Maybe I am just not as observant as those top level internet scouters, but I have only once recognized a spot from a PE on UJ.  A fellow blue grouse hunter posted a photo of his gun, his dog and a brace of grouse on a big log.  I recognized the log, because I had taken nearly the identical photo about a week earlier.  If you can find that same log you already know that area well enough you don't need any more info.

I am much more interested in finding the sense of awe, wonder and well earned satisfaction that are so well illustrated in these PEs.  Yes - Roy, Craig, Wade, Jim and Thom I am referring to your wonderful essays.  

BTW By not mentioning others who also do great work, I mean no disrespect.  

Almost Heaven GSP's

The worst damage I ever saw to a specific spot was when Frank Jesorio gave out specific hunting information in a magazine article for popular hunting destination in West VA.

He was EXTREMELY specific.

I don't internet scout, unless specifically asking how it is and what it looks like in X area is internet scouting.

However, after taking some crap recently about "blabbing" about all of X birds in X state in an initial inquiry and later PE, even after I was very specific to say that numbers were way down from my opinion once I had been there; including on a species I don't even care to hunt, you'll not see another damn thing from me. All I ever really wanted to share was some pix of some beautiful country that just really struck me at the moment I happened to be viewing it and a couple tailgate or fence post shots almost seemed obligatory. I guess I just don't fit in someones imaginary box. Like I said, no more.