Internet Scouting --Do you?

Missed Again!

One thing that does bother me is how it is OK to post what town you are in while hunting prairie birds but it is not OK with ruffed grouse.

My user name and profile tell it all.  Only thing left would be to hold someones hand and take them right to a grouse perched on a tree waiting to be shot.

Right. I think too much of a big deal is made of this. Even if there is a clue one will still need to search out the cover that actually hold birds. It's not too easy to do in the grouse woods, and I cant believe it's that easy to do on the grass land. If it were that easy no one would need to Internet scout, and this wouldn't be an issue. So really, what's the deal?

But but but but, I recognized the grain elevator in the background .......... :D

I agree about the northern woods.  I can understand some of the grassland anxiety to an extent.  If you know the basic area and then are given a landmark and perspective from a picture chances are with some leg work you could find that place as well.  But then again, with some legwork in the first place, they could probably find it without the picture.  I would argue that scouting in the grasslands is probably easier with a truck and some binoculars vs. a laptop.  If you are really lazy, find a ridge, glass for hunters on a Saturday and watch how they do…….we’re not launching the space shuttle here, this isn’t that difficult to do the right way or to find short cuts.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flairball

• Briarscratch

• North Dakota Hntr

• Missed Again!

North Dakota Hntr
I work hard to find good hunting spots, spending hundreds of hours and lots of $ on gas, etc. scouting those areas and figuring out the best way to hunt them.  

I do share some of them with friends, but I've been burned a few times, too.  I took one guy to a good spot and later heard from another guy that he'd been taken there by the guy I showed it to. The guy I showed it to told that guy he'd found a new spot and it was great hunting!  Nice of him to share my spot with others!

Same here!! My favorite way to find birds (covers) is to find them myself.

I've been burned too and have become very, very careful of who I show these spots to.

I will take pictures though and post them right here.

Craig

I take the time to find my spots myself.

As far as, hiding there location on the net.  I have no idea how someone could tell where I'm hunting by looking at trees, the backside of my truck and my setters profile.

Sure I don't mention names of roads, towns and such any more.

Brian.

One thing that does bother me is how it is OK to post what town you are in while hunting prairie birds but it is not OK with ruffed grouse.

I don't think there is or should be a distinction. Towns or specific areas don't need to be mentioned at all. The photo essays are great and for the most part, reveal a lot less than giving specific town names, etc. Photos combined with specific named locations make it easier for the potential hotspotter and it is probably a lot easier to use this type of information to pinpoint some specific locations on the prairies than it is to find a specific ruffed grouse cover.

Wade, I think the guys you're talking about must be pheasant hunters.  

I know that as a snooty Olde Newe Englande grouse hunter I get a dual case of amnesia and lockjaw when it comes to naming place names.

If I ever get west to hunt prairie birds I promise not to be any more specific than a state name or using broad terms like "grassland".

Loose lips sink ships.

someonetalked.jpg

lol made me remember posting this

178425369v7_240x240_Front.jpg

to another member and being sent off to the corner on a time out...ah those were the days...lol

My user name and profile tell it all.  Only thing left would be to hold someones hand and take them right to a grouse perched on a tree waiting to be shot.

I've seen this both ways.  

My concern isn't the guy who shows up with fluffy the house dog, it's the guy with the trailer and eight dogs.  I have seen this happen and if you think a cover can't be shot out in a weekend, well, my condolences.

Obviously not as much of an issue out west and maybe the UP/Maine and such (public land), but it can effect an area for years where habitat is more marginal and broken up.  Most concerning are individuals who are not from an area, just assumeing those who have lived thier life there are OK with a small invasion on land that is NOT public.  This just ends up creating lots of "No Trespassing" sings and leases.

It's really all about respect, you have it or you don't.

Several years ago someone on the Michigan board posted a map with crossroads showing where the grouse camp was going to be then they had  a sign out on a main highway.

The closest "large" unbroken spot of cover near there is virtually devoid of birds after Oct 1. Anyone can see it on a map near those crossroads.

I went in there on Oct. 2 this year and the two spots I wished to park both had trucks with out of state plates on them.  :(

Last year I got turned around in there and hitched a tailgate ride back to my trail from a hunter from PA.

He said, "where did all the birds go?"

The secrets out and it's been shot out. Internet scouting at work I do believe.

Several years ago someone on the Michigan board posted a map with crossroads showing where the grouse camp was going to be then they had  a sign out on a main highway.

The closest "large" unbroken spot of cover near there is virtually devoid of birds after Oct 1. Anyone can see it on a map near those crossroads.

I went in there on Oct. 2 this year and the two spots I wished to park both had trucks with out of state plates on them.  :(

Last year I got turned around in there and hitched a tailgate ride back to my trail from a hunter from PA.

He said, "where did all the birds go?"

The secrets out and it's been shot out. Internet scouting at work I do believe.

Sons of bitches were probably on their quest for 100 birds…………… Oo.gif  :oops:

My concern isn't the guy who shows up with fluffy the house dog, it's the guy with the trailer and eight dogs.  I have seen this happen and if you think a cover can't be shot out in a weekend, well, my condolences.

Obviously not as much of an issue out west and maybe the UP/Maine and such (public land), but it can effect an area for years where habitat is more marginal and broken up.  Most concerning are individuals who are not from an area, just assumeing those who have lived thier life there are OK with a small invasion on land that is NOT public.  This just ends up creating lots of "No Trespassing" sings and leases.

National forest and surrounding public lands are about 700,000 acres, and it does see its fair share of trucks loaded with dogs.  Dents are made in easy to hunt covers, definately not shot out.

Around my house is maybe 50,000 acres of public land.  It has some of the ugliest cover you'll never want to hunt grouse in.  Anything easy to hunt is a hike in to get to, that ends most of the other wannabe internet scouts.  Once the snow flies, the back roads are impassible.  My birds are safe.

But if someone stops by with a bottle of bourbon or case of beer, I can be bribed.

After getting a report from my Mom's home town from this past weekend.  I'm starting to think there are more people out hunting grouse.  The RGS hunt may have caused some of it (not sure if it was last weekend?), but they were 60 miles from Grand Rapids and every forest road had a truck in it, even some of my sneaky accesses into county land had trucks in them.

I had an interesting conversation with one of my sons Preschool teachers last week.  I told her I was hunting last weekend and she asked what I was after.  She said that grouse must be the one thing everyone hunts, because that is the answer she almost always hears when she asks.   :down:

Also, if you are using your phone to take pictures(or if your camera has a geotagging feature), you might want to check the EXIF data and make sure it's not leaving any GPS data.  I use a Mac app called Photo Privacy.

Most concerning are individuals who are not from an area, just assumeing those who have lived thier life there are OK with a small invasion on land that is NOT public.  

Not everyone has the opportunity to live in good bird territory. But when you do, you fully understand that good bird habitat is an attractant of bird hunters.

Living somewhere doesn't give you exclusive rights to an area. Land, whether public or private, which is open to hunting is open to whomever wants to hunt it. One should not trespass. One should follow the rules as set out by the state. But one should not feel bad because they don't live there.  I live in the city, and my career requires I do. I make no apology for being a traveling hunter, and I will not be bullied by a "stay off my wave" mentality.

I understand that locals don't want armies of hunters showing up, and can understand how that can be frustrating, but trust me, having to travel a minimum of two hours just to get to marginal cover sucks more. The sentiment seems to be that any group that shows up is just a bunch of clowns and is ruining things, and that's not always the case.

I have a group I travel with. We number between 3-8 when we travel. We treat every cover we hunt in the same manner we would if it were our own. Covers do not get shot out, trash gets packed out, strangers are greated with a smile, and anyone who needs help gets it.

As for the locals who don't like us; too bad. To think proximity allows exclusivity is arrogant, and narcistic. Don't want people hunting your land? Oh wait,...it's not yours, sorry.

And yes, my attitude on this subject is arrogant and defensive. If it wasn't I wouldnt have anywhere to hunt.

Almost Heaven GSP's

I'm going to take a stab at this Wade, right or wrong and at least give my view point.

In an initial inquiry I posted for reports as to what it looked like and how it was going for the guys in X State, hunting X birds(I use X birds here now, because lets face it, there are only about 3-4 States where X birds reside); I mentioned the State and Grasslands. Not too specific I thought, but yet the beginnings of this very topic started with that request. Now from my best Googling attempts, that State is some 77,000+ square miles. By saying Grasslands, I narrowed that down to roughly 1,100 square miles. Still a pretty large area in my estimation.

Later after returning myself, I gave an honest report back to that inquiry of mine letting it be known that birds were spotty, numbers down, including a 3rd species I don't even care to hunt.

I then followed up with a PE of my own, being ever so careful not to show any signage or very identifiable landmarks, while still trying to show the beauty of the area and also posting a few obligatory tailgate/fence post shots of birds and dogs. In that PE I mentioned that my camp was North of X major city. Not the small local buroughs/townships near area's I hunted, but a major "metropolis" for this State. No roads mentioned, no identifiable names of waterways, resevoirs, etc... By my best guess, I still hadn't narrowed it down to any less than roughly 400 square miles and I hunted Walk In, Wildlife Production, School Lands and Grasslands. At that time, I didn't feel as though I was actually giving specific enough info for anyone, even the most tech savvy, to realistically or successfully hotspot. I later PM'ed with a few others that were out and about in the same areas and they had no where near the "success", yet were hunting in very near areas to where I was. By near, I mean along the very same roads. With that in mind, it seemed that the difference in one canyon/draw could make all the difference in the world as to success or failure.

Here is my foopah if you will, that same area(400 sq. ml) would cover all 3 of the States/Regions I normally hunt in around home here back East. Mentioning a small town(they all are) here, would narrow it down to less than half a dozen mountain ranges and to be honest, even then a hot spotter would have a dammed difficult time locating a cover that I hunt. They might get onto the same range, but the same cover??

I often joke around about hunting in WestPennsylVirginMaryTucky and the such, but the fact is, I could say I hunt within 25-50 miles of  Cumberland, MD and I seriously doubt anyone would find a cover they are not already aware of and hunt, that is public and they won't be able to get access to the private lands I hunt.

Giving my honest opinion, I feel you are more likely to get burned by taking someone to your cover(I have been), than you are to have an "Internet Hotspotter" figure it out and find your honey holes. That said, I don't mind sharing locations with the traveler that is coming through my area, or would like to hunt with me some time and is not likely to be hunting here but maybe a time or two a season. The folks I won't share with any longer(after being burned), are the guys that are able to be in "my" covers in less than a 2-3 hour drive.

Heck, just a couple weeks ago when Wildbird was up, I told him an EXACT location to go too, to exercise his Shorthair Hazel and had him on a Doodle within being out of his truck for less than 5 minutes.

Almost Heaven GSP's
Also, if you are using your phone to take pictures(or if your camera has a geotagging feature), you might want to check the EXIF data and make sure it's not leaving any GPS data.  I use a Mac app called Photo Privacy.

How does one go about checking if they are leaving a trail of this data? I always post my pix to my website or photobucket before sharing, but would like to know IF I'm leaving such a trail. PM me if it's best private and would lead to others being able to hotspot.

:down:  suspect.gif