REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ThomGordon

Forum Burnout

ThomGordon

Please forgive;

I don't know what the hell it is but from time to time I'll be chuggin along diggin this whole Upland internet forum thing and then the brakes lights come on and we hit the skids. Too much of a good thing? Manic depressive? Onry ole *****? Minimalist alcoholism (Harse Piss Connoisseur)? Mid life crisis? Not sure.

Sometimes I wish I could go back to being naive & just throw the old shotgun behind the seat with hound in tow and just head out to destination unknown without knowing what the best load for a 16 is or what the best over priced dog food to feed is. What gauge for what quarry? A double o/u or sxs? Pump or auto? Pointer or flusher? Do I own the best equipped gear (vest, pant's, shirt, collar, bell, Astro or not, GPS, dog box or not, whistle, lanyard, boots, etc). Is my hound handling birds right, wrong or indifferent?  Do I kill enuf birds? Do I kill too many? Should I trade in the gas guzzler for a better fuel economy vehicle? Should I trade in this gutless wonder for some horses? Is the English hounds better than the Germans? Or English better than American hounds? Is the near hunting hound better than the far? The big hound better than the small? Did I leave too much info in that pic? Hey, I think that rattbawstard just hotspotted!!!

Funny how the world became smaller when you was able to pull up the globe on your monitor. There's something to be said for being uninformed while throwing caution to the wind, some might call this getting back to the basics. Not sure how you would go back? What ever in the hell that was. When did we start acquiring info and when did it become too much?  

Thoughts  ???

Flairball

I think what you're getting at, and what we often forget time, and time again; none of it matters.

All that matters is the feeling of enjoyment we get from a day in the woods/field.

Everything else is just a different color icing on the cake.

Hunshatt
I think the net has drastically decreased the learning curve shape... I'd like to say that while I;ve been hunting birds in many places over the last 38ish years, the last 6-7 has really been an eye opener.... which about coincides with when I learned about the al gore phenomenon, or as most call it the internet... and UJ... for better or worse has made me what/whom I am today

Rex Hoppie
Whatever.

Almost Heaven GSP's
I think the net has drastically increased the learning curve shape... I'd like to say that while I;ve been hunting birds in many places over the last 38ish years, the last 6-7 has really been an eye opener.... which about coincides with when I learned about the al gore phenomenon, or as most call it the internet... and UJ... for better or worse UJ has made me what/whom I am today

Hmmmmm....... Brad, you better start making up some contracts removing you of ALL responsibility.

ghostdog
Yes to what all of you guys have said. I am burned out on some of the circular discussion. I have learned a ton in the past few years from the forum. Most of this stuff comes down to what makes you happy in the field.

Hunshatt
Most of this stuff comes down to what makes you happy in the field.

ya mean it doesn't matter if you use 7's or 7 1/2's (depending on if it euro stuff or not) ...  :oops:

Sage

You think to much, that is your problem. I still do as I wish and could care less what is said on a forum. Remember everyone is Superman on the internet.

Rules still apply

1- The best dog is what you have at the moment

2- Use what load works for you

3- Dog food- feed what you want

4- Pictures- no one better

5- You can not tell me grouse hunters influence where you hunt the devil. :D

Ben Hong
You think to much, that is your problem. I still do as I wish and could care less what is said on a forum. Remember everyone is Superman on the internet.

Rules still apply

Your "handle" is very  apt. ( I have never the devil though).

The older I get, the simpler I make things, and if I can't then I shrug and  go with what I got. Today  I couldn't find my box of #8 shells, so I hunted and shot a couple of woodcock with # 5s. The woodcock didn't complain as they died just as honorably.

All that really matters is a kiss from a loved one and the loyalty and love from a good dog.

Olaf

Steve Sutton

Doesn't posting about how the internet "effects" what we think become a self fulfilling prophecy?

I always find it interesting how long certain threads can go on...its almost never the one that was the good story, or the great pictures....most often its the ones that require that the responders make their "point" and then feel the need to defend it, ad nauseum....gets to the point where its like the string of big old raw boned Pointers, everyone of them who know exactly what he knows and can "get it done", that get to backing each other in a plowed field...goes on forever with nothing much coming but more of the same....

But then everyone is different...some check in for the pictures...some for the stories...some for the friendship and some to be the resident sage...which keeps it interesting...

The best part to me is that after awhile its pretty easy to know which ones are going to most appeal to my interest and that keeps it from leading to "burn out"...

Steve

Field Grade

It's a great forum and I'm learning alot here.

After all is said and done, though, I love to turn my dog loose in the October woods and feel my spirit run with her as she tears ass down the trail toward the covers.

-Rob

Sage

Rules still apply

Your "handle" is very  apt. ( I have never the devil though).

The older I get, the simpler I make things, and if I can't then I shrug and  go with what I got. Today  I couldn't find my box of #8 shells, so I hunted and shot a couple of woodcock with # 5s. The woodcock didn't complain as they died just as honorably.

I forgot to add number 6-

6- When you sick of the internet, get off your but and go hunting.

This will cure all burnout!!

wkburns
I'm burnt out at the present. When I have to crop pictures so someone who already hunts an area wont recognize it, I am through posting PE's. I should not let it get to me but it gets sickining when about every three to four months the same thread pops up about if we should be posting PE's.

Shotster

ThomGordon...

Methinks your concern is about "the forest for the trees", which is not a criticism...just an observation, or guess. Likely, there are few wrong answers...possibly some wrong questions. Forums like this one (OK...there are NO forums like this one) could not exist without input...much like "looking good on the radio"...I think.

I don't post much anymore...burnout? But...I do read a lot. From that, I have been blessed with not just entertainment, but tangible "good". So...consider not worrying about the details..."Let it go, Sweathopper".

Amongst the few (and for those I omit...remember, I am old) that I have had the pleasure of actually meeting, Brad, Atticus, and ???...to name two from the East, I have much in common, and consider them valued friends that I don't get to hunt/visit with. I have not met Hunshatt face to face (have talked on the phone some time ago), but he and I are in accord due to Beretta guns, and Rich Cole (amongst other issues)...and he has invited me back to his grouse coverts two years in a row (WHO, but a genuine gentleman would EVER consider that???).

Further...this forum gave opportunity to meet Badger Matt (and family...and "business associates"), who, due to living about 35 minutes away, made it very convenient...and extraordinary to shoot clays, and hunt birds with Matt these past few months, and I feel that I have a seriously life long friend(s) as a result.

So, the value of logging on is not in the material, but the contributors themselves. Life in America today is much more difficult than perhaps ever before. Kindred spirits need to have the opportunity to "let it out" with those that are on the same page...and here we are.

Glad you posted your concerns...and hope you will consider all responses, cause...pretty much "we are one". We can skip the group hug...we know who we are.

Life is good,

Shotster