REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ThomGordon

Forum Burnout

Lars

It's a great forum and I'm learning alot here.

After all is said and done, though, I love to turn my dog loose in the October woods and feel my spirit run with her as she tears ass down the trail toward the covers.

-Rob

Yes sir.

Like a job/spouse you enjoy you still need a break from it time to time. The world does not revolve around forums and no need to call in sick. Just walk out the door with your favorite rod/gun/dog. Your friends will be here when you come back.

SODAKer

All the same goes here. Sometimes it is nice to drop out for a while and then drift back in. I've also gone to using the PM a bit more. Several things I've learned and have enjoyed through some boards:

-Good recipes.

-Incredible picts of places that I dream about hunting and fishing some day i.e Chukar hunting, high mountain trout.

-Where to find a good smith.

-Meeting up with quality new folks that I now consider friends.

-Validating that keeping 2 boxes each of #s 8, 7.5, 5 and 4s on hand covers everything I need along with a mixed box of no-tox.

Thanks to all who have contributed to my learning and enjoyment.

gonehuntin

I get a real bang out of all the internet experts. Two years ago they were asking question, now they're experts.

Sometimes I wonder if half the guys on these forums have ever been in the woods outside of state parks and if they have ever owned or trained a sporting dog.

For every piece of good information posted, there is probably a worthless piece.

The new person has a hard time separating the good from the bad.

Bob Frankenfield

I liked your old BB name better.  Is there a story there?  Is it time for a new "name"?  You feel better if you confess.

The answer to the eternal question is:  "Gentleman use steel 7's to punch through the grapevines."  (If you don't understand this answer you're a newbie.)

gunsrus
I have learned so much on this board . After 40 years of hunting birds my way , this is where I learned to do it the right way . There is no other place with as much information , and I'm still learning . Are there times I back off a little , sure , but the friends and comradrerie will always be there .

valuman

For me the UJ has been about learning, dogs, guns, , field loads, cameras, GPS, photography, vehicles, you name it and there will be at least a few here who can help educate on the topic.

It's also about feedback and reassurance from folks who care enough to offer it. For a rookie like me, that's priceless.

And, it's about making new friends, sharing some laughs, hunting stories, good times and rough ones with like minded folks. It gives me a place to banter and distract myself from work with good people and topics that I enjoy discussing or just reading about. I guess that adds up to a kind of brother/sisterhood that in some ways is priceless.

Where else do you get all that for the self determined price of being a contributing member?

Brad Eden

I know Mr Gordon was speaking of BB's and social networking venues in general and I think he makes a good and interesting point, but still...

Boggles my mind how Members get off trashing a sole proprietors "internet website business" right on the premises. Would you walk into your local donut shop, stand up on a table and announce to all the customers that the place is old and the donuts stale; service sucks and the coffee bitter, while the owner is standing right there making donuts behind the counter? Believe me that's where this was/is headed.

At the least this could or should have been posted on the Registered Members Forum instead of a public forum...

Unbelievable but I've come to expect it.

Regardless, I understand as I suffer internet BB discussion forum burnout 24/7/365 but I cant just bitch and moan and gather up my things and go off on a sabbatical. And I do miss the days when I thought I was the only grouse hunter on earth.

Ya know, log on, log off, take a break, whatever. UJ has been around for 10 years keeping lights on and coffee warm--and cementing lifelong friendships, solid and not so solid advice, generosity, mojo and much more. People come and go.

Let me know if anyone wishes to have their memberships removed. There are plenty of people waiting in the wings to be registered and authorized who want to enjoy this UJ online community. And no Im not being hypersensitive, my blood pressure hasn't spiked a bit over this. Just sick of having this BB resource and its members and my efforts maligned and dissected in front of my face and in front of the Members and future members.

Think about it.

tumblingwings
Its all good, I have had forum burnout for years. It just does not matter, who, what, when, and/or where. As long as your getting out and enjoying the dog work, the scenery, and the company your with. Happy hunting. :D

charlo slim
For every piece of good information posted, there is probably a worthless piece.

The new person has a hard time separating the good from the bad.

Oh, absolutely.  No doubt.

And that is why I take take time and effort to always PM the new members and advise them to be a bit wary of all info posted, except of course for my pearls of wisdom.

Crazy Horse

I have very little to complain about with regard to this web site. I've found it very informative. If one pays attention they can gain some very good advice,...sage advice as Ben might say. Then again one can choose to remain ignorant and enjoy the bliss.

There are also some very nice people to meet here. We can argue, disagree, and bemoan many things and subjects, and still enjoy a cyber beer afterward.  (Or even some cheap Scotch. I rather like Gin and a taste of Bourbon myself.)

It is my unbiased opinion (sic) that this is undoubtedly the very best Outdoor, Upland hunting forum on the net.

Brad Eden

Did Brad go off half-cocked?

Probably, but I've been doing this for a long, long time and I know a Topic that WILL turn into a specific dissection of the UJ Board. Good and bad. Just doesn't and never has seemed to be cool given my donut shop analogy.

Been a lot of this lately, trashing the board ON THE BOARD, comparing it to other boards ON THIS BOARD etc and I simply dont like it.

I agree as mentioned that everyone experiences BB or discussion forum burnout after awhile. (or Moderating burnout for me) I am also a participating Member here and can see that.  But I have a responsibility to all members to maintain this UJ community/resource; including new Members of which I just authorized close to a dozen and will be authorizing more today.

BB Burn out? So take a break, get a fresh outlook and come back or don't come back--the door is always open.

Briarscratch

As a guy with a long memory who has been around since the beginning, and beyond, I've seen the ebb and flow of members on this board.  Too much of any good thing can lead to a little burnout and it's natural.  It does bum me out when great people just up and disappear though.  You miss them.  But the seasons keep turning and every year the smell of rotten leaves is a great tonic.

I've found that the important thing to remember when I burnout is to acknowledge it before the minor annoyances outshadow the countless good.  Friends, experiences, advice, tons of laughs, a few tears and the chance to walk in the shoes of people I'd have never met in a million years if it weren't for this little portal.

gundogpa

I post a lot less than I used to.....I never really thought it was burn-out......more like I've already weighed in on an issue and folks here who know me already know how I feel so.........

I just spent a day hunting with three members.....one who lives in the next town over who I probably never would have met......ever.

You can't put a price on that.....this board has made many things possible that weren't before.

Whether I post as much or not, I still read everything and try to add things that are real and not just saying "what he said".

fuess

Its supposed to be fun.......

Take it too seriously, and you may be disappointed.

mshowman
Yep, the benfits of this board extend far beyond what you read in the posts. This weekend I'll be hunting with one member I met last year and two more I only know through posting. I'll add to that that I've met more than 30 people through the site and never a single one I didn't like. There's more than a little value to that.