Insanelupus, lets talk elk.

insanelupus

Okay, late season bulls, how do their travel patterns change?

I've noticed cows (mostly because I see them more than anything else) tend to move up and down a mountain.  Rarely do I see them travel very far across the face of one, usually less than half a mile before going up or down and then maybe following the contours again.  From bedding areas to feeding areas this seems to dominate.  (As opposed to say moose, that I have followed on old logging roads for a mile or two sometimes.)

Do bulls do this in late season also?  I know they curtail their activities in remote areas post rut to try and fatten up before winter.  Do they also shrink their travel areas and corridors trying to find the pockets with both feeding and bedding areas?  If so, do they try to keep the travel to those pockets or do you see a lot of the up/down movement over longer distances like the cows?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gselkhunter

• insanelupus

• gonehuntin

• bobman

gselkhunter

If they are still in process of moving to wintering grounds they may move a lot each day to get to the grounds. Once there they will move as little as possible, intake vs expenditure. The reality is they are starving little by little all winter. So to make it the least movement eqauls survival.

Gselkhunter

Roost em 1st

Wow. I've been sitting in my hotel reading since 4am and I am only halfway through this thread. Its quarter till 6 and I have to start my day now, so I'll check in this evening or tomorrow morning again.

two things,

1. I have never had the urge to go Elk Hunting, mostky because my research showed I would pay about 5,000 bucks for a guided hunt, and that is impossible for me. But here in KY they have transplanted elk and they seem to be doing alright on the western slope of the Appalachins. Its a crap shoot to get drawn for a tag, but I may apply this year, as My urge to hunt them is growing. Will this info apply to the herd in KY?

2. I've had friends tell me that I would absolutely love Elk Hunting because I enjoy Spring Gobbler season so much. Gregg, Are there parallels between Turkey and Elk Hunting?

Oh, And Gregg, if you ran a camp and played chef in the evening, I'd try to save the money up and indulge in the hunt and the gourmet meal, but it would mean skipping bird hunts in MT to finance the elkhunting, and I'm not ready to do that yet.

gselkhunter

Wyatt,

Come on out! Get that bow shootin or put in for a muzzel loader tag. It will take you a few years to get drawn. Archery is about 2 in most cases and muzzel loader can take up to 4 years. I will have out of state company this year. A UJer I might add.

The elk movements will be similar in KY. They will change some of their movements because of feed and cover, but the basics will apply. And hunting them in KY would be real easy on the lungs, sign me up!

As far as turkey hunting parallels, sort of. You set up in an area you know they are working at dawn and call. And the game begins, but a turkey can lead you around for miles to get him to come in. An elk can do it at 9' per stride walking and they can smell you coming. An elk won't roost in the same tree every night[not that turkeys do], but at least a turkey will be there in the morning. An elk could be 3-5 miles from there come morning. But the calling part Wyatt, you would be in heaven. Ever have a turkey stand the hair up on the back of your neck? An elk screaming at you will! And the closer they get, oh my the sound will go right through you. The pitch can be so high it hurts, then to see 800lbs of pissed off, slobbering bull in the trees looking to fight for cows. Well lets just say a turkey can't raise your blood pressure that much and I love turkey hunting too.

Me cook in camp, has happened before.

Gselkhunter