Insanelupus, lets talk elk.

I don't know about your deer but the ones here in ga will flat kick a coyates ass.

Blow deer distress calls down hear and does come running in and I'm not exaggerating, nothing worse than a pissed off mama anything.

Especially my wife her little 5'5" 125 lb self can make this 6'4' 220 guy retreat :D

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gselkhunter

• insanelupus

• gonehuntin

• bobman

I'll caution you guys that haven't hunted elk much about one more thing: Bear. Where we sometimes hunt in Co. is a very remote area where problem bear are placed. If you do a lot of cow elk mewing, and you should, expect to get stalked by some bear or cats. The last Co. hunt I was on, I called in no less than FOUR black bear. Definitely keeps you on your toes and that WOOF 20' behind you causes a reaction similar to the launch of the space shuttle. Pepper spray.
gselkhunter

I too have seen a lot of bears, elk hunting, and never had a problem with them. Now cats are another story, I carry a side arm because of these nasty little buggers. There sneaky and I don't like them no matter how beautiful they are. And I heard all the stories about how cougars never go above 9,000' and I am here to tell you it isn't true. I have seen them above timberline crossing over to the next basin. Nothing will screw up a good elk stalk like a cat.

I was cruising a ridge [aspen/pine cover] toward a bugling bull with several cows one morning. The elk were on there way to a bedding area, feeding on their way.[nobody answered the bull so I stayed quiet for a while] As they crossed the top of the ridge to drop over the other side, I eased up to the top of the ridge. This section is an open aspen meadow; I scanned the meadow for elk as to not blow the deal. From here I cow called to get the elk to answer, which they did, but to my right I heard a rustling. Turning my head slowly to look there was a young female cougar about 20yds away. OH $$$$ went through my head. I wasn't real sure what to do, I was afraid if I moved she would attack. You could tell she was looking for the same thing I was. I remained motionless for what seemed an eternity and then she turned her head and looked right at me. The things that went through my head in that second, most weren’t good. Her eyes got as big as saucers and she bolted right off the ridge, right down through the middle of the elk. Blew my morning all to pieces but I walked away unhurt. I went back to town and purchased a 357 and still carry it today when I big game hunt.

Gselkhunter

insanelupus

I am a firm believer in a .44 Magnum with heavy bullets at tolerable velocities.  Easy round to shoot, plenty for critters out to about 35-50 yards (depending on critter) and a nice item to have handy.  It's not set up for quick draw, but there are times when the rifle is slung that the handgun is easier to draw, or in those moments when you are indisposed and the handgun is closer on the ground next to you than the rifle leaning against the tree.

If I can find a good hunting partner this spring, I'm actually going to calf call and see if we can get a black bear in range to fill a tag.  Maybe.  Problem is when calling it's tough to judge if it's a boar or sow with cubs (or dry sow).  Might be a techinque worth using on a spot and stalk where we can't get any closer to bring the bear we want to us.

gselkhunter

#1 their heads are shaped a little different than the males. #2 she didn't have a thngymacbob, you know a male unit.

And I am working on the next installment.

Gselkhunter

:D  :D thats what you get for "cursing the ridge" maybe the game gods don't like potty mouths
One year we got two bulls (Muzzle loader). We took the first loads out and when we got back, a hind quarter was missing. Bear. Found it and got it back. Next load out a front quarter was missing. Cat. Found that one but it was too chewed to salvage. That particular chunk of country is crawling with critters.
gselkhunter

And the numbers aren't going down on cats and bears, infact the numbers are growing. Speaking of growing, this year should be one of the best in years for antler growthin a while.

I was thinking Bobman, why don't you come out here are cruise some ridges with me so you can curse them. And running with me you might according to my wife. She says I am a ____ mountain goat. I told her it was just an old goat, I used to be faster. Guess you know what she said.

Gselkhunter

well studies say the average american man lasts seven minutes, so I guessing she said you are below average :D  :D .

I would love to we would be a good match I've cursed every ridge I've climbed :D  

I can't climb fast but I can curse as good as anyone I've ever met :p

Knee surgery next thursday a week from today, I am going nuts sitting around waiting for the damn thing to be behind me and spending way too much time in front of a computer.

gselkhunter

Bobman is this a sign of your own personal frustration? Or jealousy because my knees are sort of working and I can chase my wife without falling down. :D Anyway hope the surgery goes well and you can come curse some ridges, I always need a good laugh :devil: , I even buy the beer.

Gselkhunter

insanelupus

GS,

Hell if you are buying the beer I can be the funniest damn clown to laugh at you've ever seen!!  

Gonehuntin,

Not the first time I've heard of folks having quarters swiped.  A friend of mine suggested the following, if for some reason you can't hang them from a tree.

Packing the quarters a few hundred yards from the carcass, preferably in the same direction you will be hiking to and from the rig or camp.  Then putting the quarters in trees 50-100 yards apart from one another.  Even if a bear does find one quarter typically this will keep them from gorging on one and then grabbing a second one.  So says he.  

Not sure how well it actually works in reality but in theory it sounds okay.  I figure if a bear is hungry enough he'll find and eat whatever he damn sure feels like.  Wife says I kind of remind her of a bear sometimes.  Big belly, kind of hair, stinky and eat whatever the hell I want.  I knew I kind of liked bears for some reason!

ea4ce77c.jpg

Here's how they made us do it backing packing in Yellowstone in Grizzly country. Packs hung 10' in the air and at least 4' from any tree. Ropes on different tree. Here's the problem: The rangers put that hanging pole there. I'm too damn old to climb a tree and put up a pole. Plus I'm too lazy to carry a block and tackle. I'll tell you now, it's one tough chore to hoist a quarter into a tree with no block and tackle. If you just put it in a tree you'll foil the coyote, but not the bear. You'll have to study the picture to see the packs and how we did it.