REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
WPG Gizmo

Pork it whats on the grill

WPG Gizmo

We have a family get together tomorrow and I get to bring the BBQ.  So I pulled 2 pork loins out of the freezer and prepped them last night with a spicy rub.

ea374a95.jpg

This morning they went on the grill with the smoker box full of apple wood for some low and slow cookin.  I keep the temps on the grill down around 225-250 and put the meat on one side of the grill so they are cooked indirectly. I also am smoking a fattie and no it is not what your thinking.  

:D  

For those that done know what a fattie is you take a 1 pound roll of breakfast sausage roll it in your rub and smoke it, if you like sausage this is like heaven  :D

ea374c15.jpg

The plan is to make pulled pork from this so I made up 2 sauces for the pulled pork one is a NC red vinegar sauce it has a nice bite to it.  The other is a SC mustard sauce I never made one of these before but damn it is good.

It will take about 7 hours to get the meat to the temps I want but the wait is well worth it.

Rex Hoppie
What is the pulling part, why not slice it?

did these country style ribs on the pit awhile back. cooked for 7 hours between 250º and 275º over mesquite wood. came out awesome.

022707002.jpg

022707001.jpg

calgaryrookie
You folks down there sure know how to Barbeque...  Up here when someone barbeques something, MOST are doing what you would call grilling.... throwing a steak on for ten minutes. That slow cooking/smoking all day thing you do.... mmmmmmmmmmm  When I was in Houston last year I thought I'd gone to heaven. Lucky I wasn't there long or I'd have had to book two arline seats for the return trip!  :p

FlyChamps
The other is a SC mustard sauce I never made one of these before but damn it is good.

There's hope for y'all yankees yet  :D

There's no substitute for a good old mustard base sauce on pork BBQ.  Glad even y'all New Hampshire-ites can appreciate a good mustard based sauce.

I knew that there was a reason I got a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License (GA won't recognize my SC permit but they do recognize my NH non-resident permit - go figure).

rugerno1
I usually take my pork loin and rub a mixture of olive oil, honey, hot sauce, & fresh garlic.  Then I have a home made dry rub made up of a bunch of store bought spices.  I put the wet and then dry on the nite before.  Then I wrap it up in foil with a very small vent to keep all the juice in and cook at 275* for 4-5 hours, or until I can stick my fork in and twist it without effort.  Then I dump the juices into my pan and shred/pull the pork.  Mix it with the juice and serve on a good bun.  MMMMMM, good eats!  If I cook it on the grill, I'll only turn the burners on one side and cook the meat on the cool side.

WPG Gizmo
The other is a SC mustard sauce I never made one of these before but damn it is good.

There's hope for y'all yankees yet  :D

There's no substitute for a good old mustard base sauce on pork BBQ.  Glad even y'all New Hampshire-ites can appreciate a good mustard based sauce.

I knew that there was a reason I got a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License (GA won't recognize my SC permit but they do recognize my NH non-resident permit - go figure).

Lived in North Carolina for 11 years ate a lot of Q while there and cooked a lot since then.  This sauce was made up with dijon and yellow mustard, garlic, onion, brown sugar, HOT sauce, Vinegar and water salt and pepper to taste.  

I find that the best sauce's are the ones you make over the ones you buy.

Going to be eating good  :D

john mcg

The 'other' white meat.

Ya man.

We did one last weekend and it was good.

I got the whole pulled pork bbq thing while living in virginny.

The real good stuff was down in NC.

It was a hop skip and jump down Hatteras way.

That is lookin' real tasty there, Gary.

Save me a bite......jmcg

Flyline
What time's dinner!? :D

mschaefer
That is some fine looking Q!  Put some of that on a bun with some coleslaw and some sauce and you've got yourself a little slice of heaven  :love:   Makes me want to leave work early and fire up the smoker, not that I need any more excuses to want to leave work early on a fine Friday afternoon.

Tango2

Calgaryrookie,

I couldn't agree more with your comments.  One of the things we learned during our last several yrs in the U.S. was the "BBQ'ing prowess" of our southern neighbours - needless to say, I was repeatedly humbled at each and every BBQ we went to.

Anyway, one of the things I brought back with us fm the U.S. was a decent (..at least that's what I  was told) BBQ/Smoker which is essentially a barrel-shaped BBQ with an actual smoking box connected to the side of the BBQ...and a big ole' smokestack coming off the BBQ.  Certainly not very common up in these parts so I've gotten lots of compliments since coming back but.....

Problem is that each and every time I've tried to repeat the quality food seen/read above is that I've only succeeded in producing something my Pointer won't even touch (..and don't forget, some dogs will actually eat their own turds.).  In addition to some of the good advice above, I'm wondering if anyone can provide me some of the ABC's of BBQ'ing/smoking.....ie. I'm talking about the "BBQ'ing/Smoking For Dummies" advice and some advice that will take me from the set-up, cooking, and ultimately to strappin' on the ole' feed-bag ?

Any/all advice welcomed...

Cheers,

T2

WPG Gizmo

These have been on the grill now for about 4 hours

ea3684fb.jpg

This is the fattie I did up has a nice bark on it and the taste is great

ea3684d0.jpg

ea3684ae.jpg

I pulled the pork off the grill when they hit 195 now they will rest in a cooler wrapped in tinfoil and a towel for about a hour before I pull them.  They ended up with a nice bark also it adds a nice flavor to the pulled pork when it is all mixed in.

ea36848f.jpg

Tango the secret to good BBQ is low and slow.  You have a offset smoker the key to using that is regulating the temps so that you get a good burn. You want to smoke food at a constant temp around 250 for that you will need a good thermometer on your smoker the ones that come with grills are cheap so dont trust them. Check out this website for a lot more info thesmokering.com

Downtown Bang!

Calgaryrookie,

I couldn't agree more with your comments.  One of the things we learned during our last several yrs in the U.S. was the "BBQ'ing prowess" of our southern neighbours - needless to say, I was repeatedly humbled at each and every BBQ we went to.

Anyway, one of the things I brought back with us fm the U.S. was a decent (..at least that's what I  was told) BBQ/Smoker which is essentially a barrel-shaped BBQ with an actual smoking box connected to the side of the BBQ...and a big ole' smokestack coming off the BBQ.  Certainly not very common up in these parts so I've gotten lots of compliments since coming back but.....

Problem is that each and every time I've tried to repeat the quality food seen/read above is that I've only succeeded in producing something my Pointer won't even touch (..and don't forget, some dogs will actually eat their own turds.).  In addition to some of the good advice above, I'm wondering if anyone can provide me some of the ABC's of BBQ'ing/smoking.....ie. I'm talking about the "BBQ'ing/Smoking For Dummies" advice and some advice that will take me from the set-up, cooking, and ultimately to strappin' on the ole' feed-bag ?

Cheers,

T2

Gizmo is right.  It's all about patience and temp control. I usually shoot for 250 and a lot of smoke the first 2-3 hours and then back off to 225 and remove the wood chips for the remaining cook time.  This gets a good bark and smoke ring on outer part of the meat and then allows the inner parts to come up to temp slowly.  IMO extra smoke after the first 3 hours is overkill and can make the bark taste off.

Use a good cut of meat. A bone in pork shoulder roast takes a while to cook but because of the connective tissue is very forgiving for a BBQ novice.  A rack of ribs or a Pork Loin takes more finesse. Use a good remote thermometer that will give you a meat temp and a grill temp at the meats surface.

I like to soak the meat in a brine the night before.  It will get the moisture content up in the meat and give it the perfect level of saltiness. I use apple juice or apple cider in my brine for extra flavor.

Dry rubs are important.  Rubs with a fair amount of sugar are good for bark formation.  I stay away from rubs with much salt in them.  Want the moisture to stay in the meat.

I will also foil the meat during the last 2-3 hours of cooking.  Be a little careful this can speed up the cooking process but as someone mentioned above save the juices and coat the meat after you pull it.  This is the best "sauce" possible.

Roost em 1st

Calgaryrookie,

Cheers,

T2

T2-

ABC's for BBQ...hmmm,

start with a 3-4 lb chicken. Split it in half from top to bottom.

1.Light charcoal.

drink beer for 15 minutes.

2.If you don't have the grill over the coals (I don't, because the lighter fluid smell impregnates it if you do) put the grill over the coals

drink beer for 5 minutes

3. Place chicken (skin side up on the grill) which should be around 300 degrees. Close the air dampers down to 10%.

drink beer for an hour

Open the lid and behold the perfectly done chicken ready for your basting sauce at this time. I hope you didn't flip the chicken before now, if you did it probably caused a grease flame up and your looking at the blackest, charcoaliest bird possible.

DO this enough times that it is imbedded in your brain to light it, lay it on the grill, and leave it alone. You can begin to paly with applying the basting sauce during grilling time ONLY after you've taught yourself to never, ever, ever, ever, do anyhting but baste when you lift the lid for the 45 seconds it takes to do so... Once mastered you are now ready to SMOKE ...

For smoking you get to play with the dry rubs, the wet wood chips, and that side box you mentioned. It's the same as grilling but you need the temp a little lower 250ish, and you'll neeed to drink alot more beer. Step #3 will need to last up to 12 hours  and even beyond when smoking.

In a year or so you'll  be ready for digging a pit and filling it with pig...which will require an even larger amount of beer.

Don't forget the baked beans, potato salad and sweet tea with that chicken.

EDIT: Nice looking pork Giz. I couldn't do that with a loin though, I'd have to have a boston butt...or it'd get too dry.