REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Crowbird

What do you do?

tartanshooter

Retired Chemical Engineer, fortune 50 companies.

My advice to a young lad:

Learn mandarin and spanish.

Get along, watch what you say.

Dick

Trappercase
"Which is better, one, or two....?"

Optometrist ?

I own a self serve pet wash / grooming salon / pet store / pet food franchise.

own = work retail for less than minimum wage.

Lurch
I still play with trucks.

Specifically military trucks, doing test and development work, Govt test support, some user training, component and systems testing, general R&D, ballistic/blast evaluation and asset reset, (rebuild after blast test to blast again) and occasional crash test dummy.

I still have days when I want to be the Wal Mart greeter.

Me too. Sometimes with SydneyWI's trucks, sometimes with other manufacturers from Chevy to Peterbuilt to Abrahms. Usually exotic locations like Kapuskasing, Canada in January or Death Valley in August.

ccavacini
First year of retirement.... 40 year high school English teacher and football coach

Dick Sellers
Retired now, and think I really have found my niche.  I had a 33 year career as a wildlife biologist, most of it in Alaska.  I retired from that job to be a ranch "caretaker" here in MT.  After 5 years there, the ranch was put on the market I decided to retire full time.

popplecop
Spent 30 years in law enforcement and now have been retired since 88.  After 23 years of retirement just starting to get the hang of it.  Think I'm going to enjoy it.

fase3
Retired Deputy Ins Comissioner. With my living on a 350 acre working farm I stay busy!

Greg Hartman

These days, I am a full-time caregiver for my wife.  After 35 years of MS, followed by a massive stroke in late 2010, she has only the partial use of one arm and hand and needs 24/7 assistance with all of the "activities of daily living".  I have a nurse come in four times/week for three half-days and one full day, so that I can run errands, get to work a bit, get out with my dogs and get to the gun club.  This is by far the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life due to: (i) the complete loss of freedom just as I was about to retire to be free for the first time in my life; and (ii) the personality changes caused by the brain damage.

Before this disaster, I was a transactional/tax lawyer for about 40 years - started and ran three law firms, all of which still exist.  Am currently "Of Counsel" to my most recent firm, Hartman Shurr, where I still work part-time as and when I feel like it and mostly from my home office.

I've been a soldier (US Army), free-lance photographer and part-time upland guide.

Kansas Big Dog

I am currently in-between gigs.  For the last 7 years I had been a stay at home dad/homemaker.  Currently, both my kids go to Kansas State U.  Going thru the Big D right now, and because I was the stay at home dad/homemaker, I am going to get a monthly payment from my wife for life, not a lot of money, but could get by and just hunt and fish if I wanted to live on the road, which I am considering.

I am being considered for a position as an Operations Manager for a Vineyard.

Also considering starting up a small business as a handyman/gigilo.  My slogan will be, "I will always show up on time, and I may take my time doing the job, but I will always finish the job."   :D

Black Cat
Taste tester for King Bradford Eden

Jay Barrows
Sales rep for an environmental testing lab. We analyze water, soil, solid materials for the nasty stuff: heavy metals, herbicides, pesticides, pcbs, radiologicals, etc. Most of what we do is for somebody's regulatory compliance situation. It's been fun, but looking forward to retirement in a few years.

northshoreruffs
I'm a student and will be graduating this spring with a wildlife and fisheries major.  In the process of searching for a new job for after I graduate, but currently I am a fisheries technician working with pallid sturgeon.

spinster
GIS has been very, very good to me.

jms gunner

I currently work full time as an Accountant in Aviation Accounting for the NAVY.

I also go to school full time at night... getting my BBA in accounting... for the past million years. :)

Laminarman
"Which is better, one, or two....?"

Optometrist ?

I own a self serve pet wash / grooming salon / pet store / pet food franchise.

own = work retail for less than minimum wage.

Yes sir.  

Years ago sitting in a bar I struck up a converstation with a very attractive woman, and she asked what I did for a living and I said "optometrist" and she looked confused.  I then said "Eye doctor."  The light bulb went on, she said "Oh!! Professionally?"  I was like....what?  So said "Yes" and she was giddy and happy and I felt like Greybeard.  Then the music died down and I found out she thought I said "Volleyball player" instead of "Eye doctor."  I'm 5'8 on a GOOD day.  She figured out what I really did and promptly left.  I've been in counseling every since.