What do you do?

I was a USAF fighter pilot for nearly 26 years and fortunate to retire as a Colonel. I flew A-1 Skyraiders, Laotian AT-28s, OV-10s, F-4Es,and A-10s for 10 years. Post retirement I flew a corporate jet for several years for a rich rancher and family. Fortunately the flying schedule didn't compete with our four month quail season here in AZ. Once the flying career was over I only get to hunt about 5 months of the year now, raise a few Brittanys, and shoot sporting clays and skeet competitively.
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hunshatt

• Bonasa

• Don Steese

• quailguy

I am an account manager for a wholesaler of Marine, RV, and Powersports parts and accessories, I also do R&D work with mainly ice fishing equipment for our own line of products.

I spend a lot of my time as an ichthyological preservationist ; an independent contractor working for private investors , paying a lot of attention to the role color plays in promoting the right stimuli within the species.

I try to take, 10-20 research trips a year to collect data using some specially sophisticated equipment.

Retired Navy. Jumped on the crest of the business process consulting wagon when I retired. Saw a common need and soon switched to Systems Design and Implementation. Consulted and worked in many different vertical markets in the South East for ~5 years. Moved to Mn. to be the System Admin for an Electronic Contract Manufacturing company. After a couple of years jumped ship to work in a very large Healthcare Organization where I've been for the last 10 years, my job title is IT Enterprise Architect. Working on standardizing and integrating the regional sites and will be for a few more years. So my job description should actually be cat herder.
Chris Raymond
I'm an estimator for a steel company.

This is how it works.

I buy a set of drawings of a building.The architect has only done half of the work and a quarter of the dimensioning. I have a day to look over the drawings, do the takeoff, send out for material pricing. I wrap it all up into a nice package and send it off as a competitive bid.

The vendors that I buy material from hold their prices for 10 days, I have to hold my number for 90 days and if I am awarded the job I have to hold pricing for the entire job, maybe a year or more.

I do a very extensive scope of work, everything that I am including is listed. The GC then adds anything he can at no extra money to it if he can.......when I point out that I have listed exactly what was included he claims I have bought the entire job.....even the things not on the drawings yet. Of course when an item is not needed I am to provide a credit for that......that is the only instance when I have not "bought the job".

Once I have bought all the material my vendors expect payment, of course even though I have installed the material on the jobsite the GC will hold payment as long as possible and 5-10% retainage until the job is finished even though my part is usually in the beginning.

We have to turn the crappy, half drawn architectural drawings into exact shop drawings. Nothing fits, the floors are the wrong heights, the stair have headroom issues because the concrete guy didn't build to print but we have. The anchor bolts are incorrect when we get there to install the steel because the concrete guy can't measure.

We sometimes make parts wrong, and them make them wrong again in the shop. We then have to work overtime which is not in the bid to catch up. We paint stairs with the wrong paint or we install the left beam on the right.

The architect/engineer designed the stairs but then requires a stamp from a different engineer because they don't want to be responsible for the ENGINEERING......you would think that would be the one thing they could do. There is another 500 to 2000 dollars on the job.

When it's all over and our vendors want money, the GC's won't pay what they owe us, our mess-ups cost us money and the drawings were crap........it all goes on a spread sheet so we can see how I have done. If we have lost money I should have quoted it differently.

We operate within similar sets of circumstances within different industries it would seem.

window washer and pretend dog trialer/pro staffer.  I've been doing the upland thing for about a day and a half, but I pay anybody who can stand my obnoxious, abrasive, manically insecure personality to ride in my B.A.T. and hurl insults at everybody who knows more than I do, in a lame attempt to prove I have a clue.

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name..."  :devil:

That's some first class hating.

Grouse Gunner

Interned for a large investment bank for two summers during college-turned down a potentially lucrative offer to work for the Fed's straight out of college. Family said I was crazy not chasing the money. It will be five years ago this March I politely declined the IB's offer and submitted the documents to obtain a security clearance. It was and still is the best decision I have ever made in my relatively young life.

I investigate fraud and/or waste of DoD funds around the globe. I've been very busy, needless to say.

I practice being retired, It's a hard job but someone has to do it. That after 32 years in Law Enforcement.

For a little extra $ I raise GSP's and train bird dogs. At least that's what I tell my wife when she asks why we have 6 bird dogs or where did that dog come from.

window washer and pretend dog trialer/pro staffer.  I've been doing the upland thing for about a day and a half, but I pay anybody who can stand my obnoxious, abrasive, manically insecure personality to ride in my B.A.T. and hurl insults at everybody who knows more than I do, in a lame attempt to prove I have a clue.

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name..."  :devil:

That's some first class hating.

what do you expect? he's a lawyer... he's so low on the social ladder he can skinny under a snakes belly