REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Boycotting Gander Mountain

I don't personally think my post is political in nature, although politics is involved.  I'm confident Brad will either move it, lock it or delete if he doesn't like it.

Boycott Gander Mountain

It was recently announced that NRA would be holding workshops at a couple of Gander Mountain stores in WI to help keep very pro-gun Governor Scott Walker in office after next months re-call election. Anti Walker forces innundated GM with calls and emails protesting. Gander Mountain buckled under the protest and cancelled the workshops.

I called my local Gander Mountain store manager to express my disappointment in the cancellation. He gave me a song and dance about how they've held NRA activities before, but couldn't this time because they were backing a political figure. As a retail store they couldn't alienate any of their customers.

I told him, "well I'm a very long time customer and you just alienated me to the point of permanently losing me as a customer. So what you're telling me is that you'd rather alienate long time core customers who actually hunt and fish, thus supporting your store and the products you sell, than to alienate the backers of candidate Barrett, who is blatantly and wantonly anti-gun and anti-hunting. That sort of seems to be cutting your own business throat. It's not a Republican-Democrat issue. It's a pro-gun candidate versus a foaming at the mouth anti-gun candidate. I would expect and hope as a business that you would not show preference to a party, but based upon the type of business you are that you'd show preference and allegiance to whichever candidate of either party supported the products, activities and lifestyle that you promote and sell"

The anti-gun forces who likely don't buy a whole lot of products from Gander Mountain made them capitulate without spending a dime. I hope to send a very loud message to Gander Mountain that they've pissed off their core customers and do so by also not spending a dime, or any amount of money in their stores. Works both ways.

Rhode Island
One more reason to shop at GM.  :devil:

fuess

Surely you cant be serious?

valuman
Drama.

gwp/454
I'm with ya.

jeffstally
I don't shop at Gander anyways because they never seem to have what I need in stock.

WindyHills
I don't do gander as much anymore.  Might have to rethink it though!

Brad Eden
Post hole prone.

Bonasa

Like to hear the explanation.

I have had my issues with the NRA, but have supported them anyway in the past. One thing that really grinds me is that my gun club requires NRA membership.  I can't stand having my mind made up for me.  No matter what some may say, it is possible to love hunting and guns, and not care for some of the political stances of the NRA.  When the damn gun club forces you to support a political organization, it is messed up to my way of thinking.

JMO YMMV

fuess

Like to hear the explanation.

I have had my issues with the NRA, but have supported them anyway in the past. One thing that really grinds me is that my gun club requires NRA membership.  I can't stand having my mind made up for me.  No matter what some may say, it is possible to love hunting and guns, and not care for some of the political stances of the NRA.  When the damn gun club forces you to support a political organization, it is messed up to my way of thinking.

JMO YMMV

I get what you are saying and agree with your position.

However, I ask this.  

Has the NRA done just one thing that has helped or protected your gun rights??

I am not a NRA zealot in any way, but if they have helped in any way, ( I think they have), there is some merit for their support.  

Your club is just helping fence sitters! :D

nickwilliams
If you boycott Gander Mountain, they will have to lay people off. Somehow they will be counted as jobs gained in Wisconsin, which will help Walker avoid the recall, so you are doing the right thing.

dogrunner
Gander mtn s-cks, overpriced and usually don't have what I am looking for, Sportsmans Warehouse was way better but they left our area.  :(

Larry Brown
Businesses, IMO, are best served by staying out of politics.  Sure, a place like Gander hooking up with the NRA is fine.  However, hooking up with the NRA to support a specific candidate . . . I see that as going at least one toe over the line.

Brad Eden
If memory serves me the were three top sporting catalog/retail companies years ago. Cabelas, Bass Pro (Redhead) and Gander Mt. Gander disappeared or closed down right? And only recently re-emerged?