REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Boycotting Gander Mountain

PartridgeCartridge
mot.jpg

Everything isn't about the NRA. I see this as about a very divisive Gov. whom a lot of people have reason to dislike that have nothing to do whether he's pro gun or not.

There are issues out there that transcend guns and the NRA.

By definition there are two sides to divisiveness.  A whole lot of people indeed dislike the governor and his policies, and a whole lot of people that like them.  (By recent polls, more like him than dislike him, but I realize polls vary and change daily).

There are indeed other issues out there that transcend guns, hunting, and NRA.  But UJ, like Gander Mountain(they are the #1 retailer of firearms in the U.S.), is mainly about guns and hunting.  Without gun rights and the right to discuss them, promote them and to help secure their future, Gander Mountain would cease to exist and this board and its advertisers would be irrelevant. Neither my post, this board, Gander Mountain's business, nor the NRA are about basket weaving, worker's "rights,"  guaranteeing and securing teacher's or anyone else's jobs and benefits, loss or gain of jobs, pointing of fingers of who really is to blame for divisiveness (depends upon which way you're coming from), etc.  As such NRA wasn't going to address any issue other than the perspective of gun and hunting rights and who best supports them, same as my original post was intended.  What better, more logical place to hold such a workshop than the #1 retailer of guns.  NRA leaves those other issues for other organizations to address.  Since this is a gun and hunting related BB, or one would suppose so based upon the advertisers on the left of this page, that is why I made my post, tried to keep it related to, focused on the guns/hunting issue.  I can't help if others might want to veer it off into more of the partisan political realm.  

To those who might think boycotting Gander Mountain because they cancelled the NRA event would be deleterious to employee jobs:  The first groups who called GM and threatened boycotts if GM allowed NRA to present its workshop were obviously Pro Barrett, the candidate who claims to be pro-labor!   They apparently weren't concerned about the effect on GM employees.  Go figure.

Curt
If memory serves me the were three top sporting catalog/retail companies years ago. Cabelas, Bass Pro (Redhead) and Gander Mt. Gander disappeared or closed down right? And only recently re-emerged?

I miss Herters.

I have a Herter's wool/canvas/down sleeping bag and a Herter's bait casting rod I'd be willing to sell for the right price.

You must be old like me!

Yep, I am old.  I also still have some old Herters stuff.  I have three or four dozen Herters Canvasback, and Bluebill decoys from back around 1960, an old pair of their snowshoes, and one of their pocket knives.

Yep, Herter's marketed some wonderful, reasonably priced products for sportsmen.  I still have a very serviceable fly tying vice and glass fly rod with their label.

Dave Hamming
mot.jpg

Classic!

Larry Brown

If the decision to allow the event in the first place was a store management move, Gander must have some pretty asleep at the switch store managers here in WI.  Re Governor Walker, there just isn't a lot of middle of the road among WI voters.  You either like him a whole lot or you don't like him much at all.  Very few undecideds.  So . . . you start by making the pro-Walker types happy by announcing the event, which pisses off the anti-Walker types.  Then you cancel it, which pisses off the pro-Walker types, maybe making the anti-Walker types happy.  Or maybe not.

Scott, the difference between the NRA and RGS is that the NRA gets DEEPLY involved in politics, to the point of endorsing candidates.  RGS certainly tries to influence politicians, but they don't endorse candidates.  (I think it would impact their status with the IRS if they did.)  Again, I have no problem with Gander supporting the NRA, displaying NRA membership signs, or even allowing the NRA to conduct membership activities at Gander.  But it's simply not a good business move--and it's particularly dumb, given how polarized things are in WI right now--to link up with the NRA in a pro-Walker event.  Let's face it:  some Democrats really DO hunt, and some really DO buy guns.  And a lot of them also fish, and a lot of them shop at Gander.  

They screwed up, badly, on this one--from the get-go.

Briarscratch
Driving across Route 18/151 west of Madison it was disconcerting to see so many pro and anti Walker signs right next to each other. Neighbors against neighbors.  The fencing business must be booming in Wisconsin these days.

Wisconsin

The upcoming election here in WI reminds me of a time long ago when a friend of mine was going hunting for the day and he had to "vote" on two options.

He only had two dogs, both of which he admitted were idiots.  As he stood by the kennel, trying to decide which one to pick, he said to himself, "I can't take them both - they're always fighting.  If I take old Sam, he'll eat half the birds I shoot.  And if I take Jake, he'll most likely run off and I'll spend the day looking for him."

"I'd be better off hunting dogless"  he thought, but quickly realized he'd rather hunt without a gun than without a dog.  So he flipped a coin and took Jake.

At the end of the day, he came home after shooting five grouse with a brace of grouse for the table.  And smiling as he kenneled up Jake, he thought to himself, "At least I got supper and don't have to feed Jake tonight!"

The moral of the story?  No matter who you vote for - at the end of the day, he, or she is probably an idiot.

Chubs

The upcoming election here in WI reminds me of a time long ago when a friend of mine was going hunting for the day and he had to "vote" on two options.

He only had two dogs, both of which he admitted were idiots.  As he stood by the kennel, trying to decide which one to pick, he said to himself, "I can't take them both - they're always fighting.  If I take old Sam, he'll eat half the birds I shoot.  And if I take Jake, he'll most likely run off and I'll spend the day looking for him."

"I'd be better off hunting dogless"  he thought, but quickly realized he'd rather hunt without a gun than without a dog.  So he flipped a coin and took Jake.

At the end of the day, he came home after shooting five grouse with a brace of grouse for the table.  And smiling as he kenneled up Jake, he thought to himself, "At least I got supper and don't have to feed Jake tonight!"

The moral of the story?  No matter who you vote for - at the end of the day, he, or she is probably an idiot.

x a billion

WI Brookie Guy

If memory serves me the were three top sporting catalog/retail companies years ago. Cabelas, Bass Pro (Redhead) and Gander Mt. Gander disappeared or closed down right? And only recently re-emerged?

Gander Mountain, back in the 1980s, was based in Wisconsin and was the largest sporting mail-order catalog company in the country at the time.  The order of events here might be scrambled a bit, but in the early 1990s they sold their mail order business to Cabela's and was bought out by Holiday (based in Minnesota), who also had their own brick & mortar sporting goods stores.  Holiday also bought out the Berger Brother's -- a chain of upscale outdoor equipment stores based in the Twin Cities -- and merged everything into Gander Mountain in the mid-to-late 1990s.

Regarding Scott Walker...let's just say that Gander made the right decision.

caleb
I had the misfortune of working at one while in college.

Ditto, but in high school. It was my first job, too. Soured me on the whole department store thing ever since. In retrospect, probably a good thing. Those summers afterward working concrete gave me a lot more real-world experience than sitting behind a till...

Must be the most sterile outdoor store I've ever been inside, followed closely by Cabela's.  I think Scheels' ability to make their stores feel a little less like a warehouse than their competitors has been a big part of why they've been so successful.

As for Scott Walker, I don't think that much needs to be said.  Wisconsin's unemployment rate is 6.8%.  Across the St. Croix in Minnesota (home of the "tax the rich" governor who just vetoed a package of tax breaks for business), the unemployment rate is 5.6%.  Given those empirics, I'd say the burden is on Walker to demonstrate the superiority of his policy/ideology in practice.

Jack L

Everything isn't about the NRA. I see this as about a very divisive Gov. whom a lot of people have reason to dislike that have nothing to do whether he's pro gun or not.

There are issues out there that transcend guns and the NRA.

By definition there are two sides to divisiveness.  A whole lot of people indeed dislike the governor and his policies, and a whole lot of people that like them.  (By recent polls, more like him than dislike him, but I realize polls vary and change daily).

There are indeed other issues out there that transcend guns, hunting, and NRA.  But UJ, like Gander Mountain(they are the #1 retailer of firearms in the U.S.), is mainly about guns and hunting.  Without gun rights and the right to discuss them, promote them and to help secure their future, Gander Mountain would cease to exist and this board and its advertisers would be irrelevant. Neither my post, this board, Gander Mountain's business, nor the NRA are about basket weaving, worker's "rights,"  guaranteeing and securing teacher's or anyone else's jobs and benefits, loss or gain of jobs, pointing of fingers of who really is to blame for divisiveness (depends upon which way you're coming from), etc.  As such NRA wasn't going to address any issue other than the perspective of gun and hunting rights and who best supports them, same as my original post was intended.  What better, more logical place to hold such a workshop than the #1 retailer of guns.  NRA leaves those other issues for other organizations to address.  Since this is a gun and hunting related BB, or one would suppose so based upon the advertisers on the left of this page, that is why I made my post, tried to keep it related to, focused on the guns/hunting issue.  I can't help if others might want to veer it off into more of the partisan political realm.  

To those who might think boycotting Gander Mountain because they cancelled the NRA event would be deleterious to employee jobs:  The first groups who called GM and threatened boycotts if GM allowed NRA to present its workshop were obviously Pro Barrett, the candidate who claims to be pro-labor!   They apparently weren't concerned about the effect on GM employees.  Go figure.

IMHO GM was perfectly correct to host a NRA event.  You're right, when your store and business is based on the outdoor sports, you dance with the one that brung ya.

I agree with others who've stated the problem for GM was tying that NRA event in with a political candidate.  Bad PR decision from the git go.

My point was it's a particularly bad PR decision given the polarized effect Walker seems to have had on Wisconsin, because as Larry correctly pointed out, there are some democrats who do hunt and fish.

WindyHills

I miss Herters.

I have a Herter's wool/canvas/down sleeping bag and a Herter's bait casting rod I'd be willing to sell for the right price.

You must be old like me!

Making me feel old now!  In my defense I discovered them not many years before they disappeared.  Spent a lot of time poring through their catalogue in those days, I was sucked in hard.    Still have a NIB vit glodo duck/goose call set and a few other items from them.

Flush

Every union I have ever had to deal with was terrible and unions in the public sector are a sad, sad, racket.

I will add:

I've purchased hunting stuff from Gander Mtn. in the past.

There, now my post is as non-political as most of the others.