REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
john mcg

Fly fishing or Bird Hunting?

Chubs
WHAT POSSIBLE REASON WOULD THERE BE THAT ONE WOULD EXCLUDE ONE KIND OF HUNTING OR FISHING FOR ANOTHER. Although I must admit I have no interest in hunting bears over bait. Also when I started hunting birds & ducks I gave away my bow to a nephew (the seasons overlap).

I always wonder when someone specifies he is a FLY fisherman (instead of simply a "fisherman") if the pursuit was picked up after watching "A River Runs Through It" and inspired by perhaps a tiniest bit unnatural attraction to Brad Pitt.

Unnatural? To watch that movie without feeling any attraction toward Brad Pitt would be unnatural.

garyRI

Favorite quote from the movie is her "...family ran a general store in a one store town and still managed to do badly. "

Read the author's short stories after seeing the movie. All set in West/Pacific NWest.

john mcg

I nearly wept when his Dad was asking about his hand.

That was well done.

I actually started FF before upland bird hunting and didn't know there was such a movie. I've since watched it many times, as I have it on my system.

I decided to start an upland tradition after reading fly fishing magazines that included articles on birds and dogs. Figured it would be a great way to spend my remaining decades in the woods and waters. It was just that simple a choice for me.

Got a dog and a gun and went-a-hunting.

Big Al

I'm glad I don't have to really make a choice, but if I did I would have to pick bird hunting.

Before the movie I was a trout fisherman, never used flys. After the movie I was a fly fisherman and I rarely use anything else for trout.

Ben Hong
Bird hunting with dogs. If there were no dogs, I would fly fish.

Bob Blair
I'd be different and pick fly fishing just because I'd certainly have more days during the year that I could pursue it. More days in the woods!

john mcg
WHAT POSSIBLE REASON WOULD THERE BE THAT ONE WOULD EXCLUDE ONE KIND OF HUNTING OR FISHING FOR ANOTHER. Although I must admit I have no interest in hunting bears over bait. Also when I started hunting birds & ducks I gave away my bow to a nephew (the seasons overlap).

I always wonder when someone specifies he is a FLY fisherman (instead of simply a "fisherman") if the pursuit was picked up after watching "A River Runs Through It" and inspired by perhaps a tiniest bit unnatural attraction to Brad Pitt.

Unnatural? To watch that movie without feeling any attraction toward Brad Pitt would be unnatural.

Chubs--I think that is a very true statement.

Spin

Fly Fishing, Fishing has been my No#1 passion from my earliest memories. Bird hunting is No#2 and I'd have a good time banding or using a camera with the dogs even if I couldn't use a gun. Longer season too. Maybe not the best time to ask this question of me. The Hexigenia hatch is just about due!

Spin

troutchops
My dogs just chewed up the wiring to the air conditioner again, so I'm fly fishing today.

gaberdeen
Bird hunting. I love the companionship of my fellow hunters. I don't seem to have as much of that with fly fishing. Although the solitude can be nice when I have my dogs with me I'm never really alone.

john mcg
Fly Fishing, Fishing has been my No#1 passion from my earliest memories. Bird hunting is No#2 and I'd have a good time banding or using a camera with the dogs even if I couldn't use a gun. Longer season too. Maybe not the best time to ask this question of me. The Hexigenia hatch is just about due!

Spin

Saw the first few hex the other day!

Rail hunter
no need to choose.  My wife is taking me to alaska this summer to fly fish for cohos and hunt for pratmigan at the same lodge.

Parkerman
Let's see, a number 22 hook, a tippet that you can't see to tie the fly on...... ??? Way too much work.  Bird Hunting....period

bobman
I like bow fishing for trout

Lars

Bird hunting with dogs. If there were no dogs, I would fly fish.

Right on!

I'm not currently active on any fly fishing sites so I guess the answer is bird hunting.