REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
john mcg

Fly fishing or Bird Hunting?

irish Eyes

I agree with Ben. Without a dog would rather ff.

You can do both. Took the trimmings off the setters hind end and tied some streamers. They worked well, breathed in the water.....another reason not to hunt an EP.

hopeandpoke
Bird hunting!

Wingman
Could I use a fly rod to baitfish with and still hunt birds with my dog?

ghostdog
I'm deciding not to decide.

I'm deciding not to decide.

I'm with ya.  Must be a Wisconsin thing :)

Rex Hoppie
If it were not for PowerBait, I wouldn't care much for FF.

MTRookie76
Still thinking about it...

Bullwinkle

WHAT POSSIBLE REASON WOULD THERE BE THAT ONE WOULD EXCLUDE ONE KIND OF HUNTING OR FISHING FOR ANOTHER. Although I must admit I have no interest in hunting bears over bait. Also when I started hunting birds & ducks I gave away my bow to a nephew (the seasons overlap).

I always wonder when someone specifies he is a FLY fisherman (instead of simply a "fisherman") if the pursuit was picked up after watching "A River Runs Through It" and inspired by perhaps a tiniest bit unnatural attraction to Brad Pitt.

Unnatural? To watch that movie without feeling any attraction toward Brad Pitt would be unnatural.

Chubs--I think that is a very true statement.

so if one is a hunter why do they need to say upland hunter?

My dog is 12+, I'm 62+, not getting another dog.. fly fishing or ultralight bluegill fishing suits me just fine.

Mike Connally
Bird hunting. The only reason I flyfish is that it's kind of like hunting. You really hunt fish with a fly rod.

FlyChamps

Hell, that's like asking if you'd rather have your left nut or your right nut cut off.

I hunt birds when I can hunt birds.  I fly fish when I can fly fish.  I drink as much of the rest of the time as I can.  Oh yeah, since I'm not independently wealthy I work a little to pay for bird hunting and fly fishing.

Greg Hartman

I keep trying to get excited about fly fishing and make an effort each year.  In fact, working on that was going to be one of my pursuits in retirement (now completely ruined by my involuntary 24/7 nursemaid duties).  It seems like something that I ought to like - I just don't.

I have yet to be able to last more than an hour or so fishing.  I don't like being out without the dogs and the dogs are an enormous PITA when fishing unless I tie them to a tree or constantly force them not to move.  "Hold on there, Boss!  I'll get that fly for ya!!"

4-5-09-Chaserunninginbrook.jpg

I have to walk and move - to cover ground- my skin starts to crawl if I have to stand around too long, like when fishing.

Fly fishing stuff has zero allure to me - it's just tools - but I'm a gun nut and love to look at, handle and shoot guns as an end in itself.

Finally, and maybe this is sick, I enjoy the killing part of hunting, whereas killing a fish to me is like plucking a strand of grass.

So, I'm a hunter, not a fisherman.

Grifish
I'm with Ben.

garyRI

Re: "I nearly wept when his Dad was asking about his hand.

That was well done."

I thought the point was he broke his hand going down fighting.

Haven't lived there for 40 years but I'm from SW PA. My recollection is that a lot of my Dad's friends were hard core outdoorsman/millworkers and also big on vegatable gardening. Back in the day I wonder if the flyfisherman were more heirloom tomato growers, or perhaps prefered rose gardens?

john mcg
Re: "I nearly wept when his Dad was asking about his hand.

That was well done."

I thought the point was he broke his hand going down fighting.

Haven't lived there for 40 years but I'm from SW PA. My recollection is that a lot of my Dad's friends were hard core outdoorsman/millworkers and also big on vegatable gardening. Back in the day I wonder if the flyfisherman were more heirloom tomato growers, or perhaps prefered rose gardens?

I thought the same or that they busted up his 'right hand' reel good because they knew he cast with that one. At any rate, I related to his Dad's question about which hand that way.

A poignant scene regardless.

A fatherly scene. I have a soft spot for such.

PartridgeCartridge
I think catching a grouse on an aspen bud fly would solve this whole problem for me.