Fly fishing or Bird Hunting?

Kerry Stratton
Fly rods are for girls and yuppies. Men use baitcasters. :D

Hmmmmmmmm, you must have had a sex change operation since you moved away from Washington.  Or were you a yuppie back then?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john mcg

• bobman

• garyRI

Definitely fly fishing. Of course if you ask the same question in October I'll tell you it is bird hunting. I believe in loving the one you're with.
I can't make a decision!!!!  Guess thats because I'm fly fishing now and eagerly awaiting the woodcock season.
North Dakota Hntr
Decisions...decisions????  

How 'bout "salmonids by bird dog"?

P1000397.jpg

P1000399.jpg

Actually I'd choose bird hunting, without doubt.  Fly fishing has lost luster for me, largely cause I'm not much for catch and release, more the catch and eat type.  And I somehow don't feel right about catching and killing wild stream trout.

Ha!! Didn't know Jr. was so multi talented. Doesn't srprise me though.

Fish on!

Craig

Depends on which part of me my RA is f**king up when you ask me.  If my hip and knees are acting up it's fishing because I can at least limp to a piece of water.

When it's my hands it's bird hunting because I'd have to pay someone to tie on my flies.

Either way if I couldn't bring a dog and a camera I wouldn't go.

Bird hunting.  Because guns and dogs are more interesting to me than rods and flies.
Tiger MT's Carter
I’m doing a Cast & Blast on the Snake River the first week in October. That will take care of both. :D

Never thought that I would say it, but I at times think about quitting fly fishing altogether or perhaps limiting my fishing to a few trips a year to some destination waters.

That's really hard for me to say since I normally fish 60+ days a year.

It is just getting way too crowded out there and the crowds that are showing up just don't have any damn manners.

millerperch

Bird hunt.

I bet catching a cockbird with a corn fly would be even easier.

my laugh for the evening...

bird hunting for me.

I came to bird hunting late in life (at almost 30 years old) and spent all my years prior to that fishing since I grew up in South Florida.  When I moved to Vermont and was introduced to bird hunting I was hooked and I would gladly give you all my fly rods and gear if I had to choose between grouse/woodcock hunting and fly fishing....in fact, I'll throw in a Hyde Drift boat too!  I love fishing, but running the dogs is simply the best.  I used to be addicted to bonefishing, but I'd give that up too if I had to choose between the two. --Warren
LostintheOzone

That's an easy one for me.

I used to be an avid fly fisherman. Tied my own flys and built my own rods. Made the journey to Montana a few times just to fish. I loved fishing for the elusive summer run steelhead in the rivers around here.

I then discovered bird dogs and sxs guns. The only time I break out a rod anymore is when I'm camped on a stream where I can fly fish.

Another reason I quit fishing is the politics of the sport. The last time I tried to fish I wasn't on the water more than 10 minutes and I was checked by a conservation officer. That generally never happens when I hunt. Mostly because they are too lazy to chase me down when I'm 2 miles from the truck. If they happen to catch me geared up at the truck they check, otherwise it's too much work. Catch and release has become the norm even on the ocean. The hunt ends at the table for me.

Jim