REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SODAKer

what would you do different

Tiger MT's Carter
Would have moved to Nevada 10 years sooner.

ShortTailGuy
I would have divorced my first wife the week after we were married. (should have listened to Mom....god how many times did we say that) and married my second wife first but seeing that I got married when I was 20 my second wife would have been 14 and I dont think her parents would have approved. I like the path I have chosen in this world to make a decent honest living...I can come home at night knowing that I didnt screw anybody over to earn what I earned.

Hunshatt
Had a chance to go to MIT in the early 70's minimal cost to me. The female owner of a auto dealership I worked for was willing to foot the bill all I had to do was keep her son on the straight and narrow.  Passed on it and joined the Marines where I was offered the chance to go to Marine OCS passed on it also. Gehybeard offered me the opportunity to move to Ca, be his man servant and service all his thousands of cast offs...... declined that too

Who knows what roads I would have gone down IF I had taken an of those  offers

I never had any idea that Mensa actively recruited you to  to be in the Mossad after your stint in the corps either

Ben Hong

This thread should be called "The Road of Rueful Regrets" :laugh:

At the age of 20, I received my commission in the Canadian Army, two years later I took off the uniform after getting educational leave and left for university. Good move, even though I was accepted into helicopter training. Everyone told me that university was far more important.

Four years later, the Canadian armed forces underwent some tremendous changes, and I was told that I didn't have to finish my term of service...if I didn't want to. I officially became a civilian. Bad move.

I graduated with 12 other guys (of a class of 61) 9 of those made the Army a career. All 9 retired with the rank of colonel at least.

leaving the army is looked on now as my biggest regret.

There have been many twists and turns along the way, but overall some would say that I had led a charmed life. And every time I look at the pictures of my granddaughters, I just can't disagree. :)

Crayborn
I would be Greybeard, that man has the life!

Bob Blair
I like the way I did it. I'd try to save a little more money but that's all I'd change if I had it to do over..

Uplander
No regrets here.

jmooney

Lot of things affected my path to this point and the majority of them were beyond my control. Knowing what I know now I may have reacted differently to some of those things every though I couldn't control them.

Most of the things I would label as regrets were stupid financial decisions.  I'm still paying for some of them.  Thankfully I'm less than a month from 36 and have the income to right the wrongs and should be in great shape by the time I turn 40.  I would have rather learned these lessons at 24 than 34 but I'm damn glad I didn't wait till I was 64...

jerry b
If you change anything, you change everything, and life is basically doing the best you can at the moment and moving on. Still, I wish I had been kinder at times. Many times.

Remo
I think a happy life could be lived in many different scenarios because satisfaction comes from within. The only 2 things I'd change are waiting too long for a hunting dog and tobacco. But if I hunt more and chew less I can make some of that up.  :p

Tee
First thing that came to mind was I wish I would have told my dad how much I loved him.

FlyChamps
First thing that came to mind was I wish I would have told my dad how much I loved him.

My father is 93 and I did have the opportunity to tell him that at his 90th birthday party.

His hearing is very bad and it was the third time I said it before he understood what I was saying.

He's my real hero.  Besides being my father he is a WWII combat veteran who saw some of the worst European combat - the battle of the bulge (his unit was already in Germany and was pulled back to attack the bulge from the North), supporting the airborne forces crossing the Rhine River and the crossing of the Weser River, which was even more brutal.

He received the purple heart and two bronze stars but the only award the he really cared about was his combat medic badge.  After the war he went to medical school and became a doctor which for him, the son of a share-cropper, was the greatest accomplishment of all.

Should I be half the man he is I will be worthy.

Bob Blair

My father is 93 and I did have the opportunity to tell him that at his 90th birthday party.

His hearing is very bad and it was the third time I said it before he understood what I was saying.

He's my real hero.  Besides being my father he is a WWII combat veteran who saw some of the worst European combat - the battle of the bulge (his unit was already in Germany and was pulled back to attack the bulge from the North), supporting the airborne forces crossing the Rhine River and the crossing of the Weser River, which was even more brutal.

He received the purple heart and two bronze stars but the only award the he really cared about was his combat medic badge.  After the war he went to medical school and became a doctor which for him, the son of a share-cropper, was the greatest accomplishment of all.

Should I be half the man he is I will be worthy.

Very cool. The third time is a charm. You are a lucky man to have been able to say that to your Dad! :D

tartanshooter

Not spending more time with my children in their formative years.

Declining an appointment to West Point.

Retiring too far from prime hunting and fly fishing venues.

Not having my own trap and skeet fields.

Briarscratch

Thanks for that Flychamps.  You come from good stock.

Like Jerry B said...if you change anything you change everything, so I can't say I have any real regrets but I do wish I never stole that first pack of Viceroys from my old man.

The past is gone and the future is a fantasy, all you can do is make the best of right now.