Piper Paid

What really suks is walking thru the meeting door I can be their friend, father figure, and someone they can confide in, yet there has to be a clean break the minute I walk back out the door

A terrible cost was paid by those unfortunate kids in Pa., and the cost will continue to be borne generally by society into the future as men of genuine good-will and sound ethics will be viewed suspiciously.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john mcg

• cmc274

• River19

• Steelheadfred

Greg Hartman

Unfortunately the same kind of thing would probably have happened at most major college football powerhouses. This over emphasis on sports is not just a Penn State problem by a long shot!!  When you have the highest paid professor making maybe 100 grand and the football or basketball coach making five million, something is definitely wrong!!  

When you have an entire sub-culture of athletes on major college campuses who have almost nothing in common with the rest of the student body, something is wrong.

It was a joke before and remains a joke. We should call it what it is, semi-professional sports!  Pretending it has anything to do with college is self-delusion of the highest order!  

Don, you wrote my response.  Well said.  I could not agree more - the whole thing is sick and the mis-emphasis creates an environment that actively breeds this sort of crap by putting the holy grail of winning over every other consideration (and this from someone who needed a sports scholarship to be able to go to college).  Schools should be for education and scholarships should be awarded for academic excellence, not expertise with some sort of ball or skill at playing what should be children's games.

I also agree with Frak:  "...the cost will continue to be borne generally by society into the future as men of genuine good-will and sound ethics will be viewed suspiciously."

Steelheadfred

I disagree with the notion that a football coach does not have the right to make 5mm a year and the professor only makes $100k for teaching 12 credits none the less and working 36 weeks a year.

60mm annual gross, how much should someone make running a 60mm business, yes it is a business.

I also think, the notion that sexual abuse of minors is going on everywhere else and that it would have been "covered up" just the same everywhere is painting with a large brush.

Further more, I've known many college athletes and been one myself, and some that had it not been for sports would not have had the opportunity to receive a degree and advance their life and be where they are today.

I disagree with the notion that a football coach does not have the right to make 5mm a year...

I'm thinking that its this huge money issue that makes for a partial vacuum where stuff like this can happen with near impunity.

Deserving of the big bucks in the big money scenario is a nutha issue...seems to me.

Steelheadfred

College is a business, hence why it takes most kids 5 years instead of "four" to graduate.

They know dam well the Drop out date, and if you've made it three years, most likely you are going to finish.

College sports, even being the big business it is, has more benefit in it's current state than before, including all the revenue raised that goes towards all the other athletes and title 9 that other wise would not be available or would be pay to play.

I cold give a rats fart how much coaches or professors or grounds keepers demand or make, colleges and universities should be academic learning institutions and not farm teams for pro sports. Big money, notoriety, and hyper competitiveness corrupts.
Steelheadfred

Big money, notoriety, and hyper competitiveness corrupts.

Does it ever advance anything? Or is it all corruption?

PartridgeCartridge
I wonder if the victims of all this feel like the Piper was paid?

That's it isn't it.

What is justice?

Chris Raymond

Piper was paid, pipe was played...it's all so confusing and destructive.

These sanctions have not done one thing for the victims either way, what they are attempting to do is deter every university coach, AD and president in that nation from engaging any type of cover up.

The report on which the sanctions are based focused on people that are dead, in jail, or being charged through the actual judicial system.    

What reports were issued and changes made in the law enforcement and child welfare agencies who have failed.  How about the pennsylvania state police who said it was out of their jurisdiction?  Or the state college police saying their only responsibility was to provide access to the victims back in 94 or 98?

The victims will get their chance to extract their pound of flesh in civil court.

Pinecobleguy
The financial impact on the university imposed by the NCAA may pale in comparison to the settlements the school will undoubtedly pay out to settle the civil suits to come.