• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john mcg

• cmc274

• River19

• Steelheadfred

These sanctions have not done one thing for the victims either way, what they are attempting to do is deter every university coach, AD and president in that nation from engaging any type of cover up.

The report on which the sanctions are based focused on people that are dead, in jail, or being charged through the actual judicial system.    

What reports were issued and changes made in the law enforcement and child welfare agencies who have failed.  How about the pennsylvania state police who said it was out of their jurisdiction?  Or the state college police saying their only responsibility was to provide access to the victims back in 94 or 98?

I think cmc274 is correct.   The sanctions are for deterrence to others and have little effect to the victims.  They will get their due in the civil cases.

I am uncomfortable with punishments to people who had nothing to do with the terrible crimes.  Why take the wins away from players who had nothing to do with it?  I know it was to keep Paterno from having the record, but since NCAA is judge and jury for the school couldn't they not give credit to Paterno, but let the players still have the wins.  

I wonder how much of this punishement is to really make the NCAA look good rather than help the victims.  

I am all for the most severe punishment for those involved, but question punishment to those who happened to be on the team.

I care less for the impact on the program. Not much chance of making a difference. At best maybe making an example, but I don't see that making a difference except to make victims feel better.

I'm more concerned about investigations drilling down and taking to justice all of those who turned a blind eye, regardless of who they are.

To do nothing? That is a heinous crime.

I think there is a very good chance that it goes deeper than appears.

Can someone please explain to me how striking all of Paterno's wins from 1998 to whenever constitutes a punishment?  I don't follow football but it seems to me that Paterno is the guy who would care the most and he's beyond caring.  Not arguing the sanction I just don't understand the issue well enough I guess because it seems trivial.
Pinecobleguy
The school will not pay anything, that's what insurance policies are for.

Pretty sure Pen State University, as are most colleges and universities, is self-insured.  They'll paying out of pocket (or out of their endowments).

60mm annual gross, how much should someone make running a 60mm business, yes it is a business.

It is a not for profit business...  It is not like there are shareholders demanding higher returns on investment that they have to answer too.

I do not want this to sound like a monetary debate, but Penn State in insured by Pennsylvania Manufacturer’s Association Insurance Company.  In reading some articles, sounds like most catholic church victims were 50k-a couple of million.  Not sure the total number of civil suits, however it appears the NCAA fine will be larger.

Regardless, Penn State made a lot of mistakes that impacted a lot of people's lives.

PartridgeCartridge
It is a not for profit business...  

Not exactly. $5M coaching salaries hardly qualifies in the Not for Profit scheme of things. And these schools do make money on their franchises etc...

As to civil court damages, you gotta ask yourself, "How much money will it take to make me whole and forget about the ass rapings?"

Some of these victims will never be made whole by any amount of money.

If you are a Penn State alumni, do you start lying on your resume?

No. Penn State is a lot more than a football school.

I think we are underestimating the severity of the verdict.  

1st- I wonder if the program ever survives or comes back??  

2- The football program supported most of the entire sports program, so, this not only effects football, it affects all the scholar athletes.

3- THe football program also supports alot of the other programs on campus.

4- Has anyone given any thought to the local businss that rely on the weekend games to fill bars, hotels, eateries.....  Not to mention the folks who print and make the hats/shirrts/sweatshirts......

This could have a mjor impact on the NC PA communtiy, in an area that is not necessarilty a metropolitan city, outside of Nittany town.

Dont confuse this for an excuse not to punish the criminals, but I wonder if they gave any thought to that, or if they cared?

The collateral damage may be bigger than the fines!

It is a not for profit business...  

Not exactly. $5M coaching salaries hardly qualifies in the Not for Profit scheme of things. And these schools do make money on their franchises etc...

As to civil court damages, you gotta ask yourself, "How much money will it take to make me whole and forget about the ass rapings?"

Some of these victims will never be made whole by any amount of money.

This is a wee scary.

I agree 100%. This is what I meant when commenting on 'what is justice'.

Lives are ruined. I am intimately connected to such.

Ruined is a big word, but changed significantly and damaged irreparably is certain.

These things can't be measured quantitatively.

The built in sense of 'wrongness' of these acts is at the top of the chart.

I think we are underestimating the severity of the verdict.  

1st- I wonder if the program ever survives or comes back??  

2- The football program supported most of the entire sports program, so, this not only effects football, it affects all the scholar athletes.

3- THe football program also supports alot of the other programs on campus.

4- Has anyone given any thought to the local businss that rely on the weekend games to fill bars, hotels, eateries.....  Not to mention the folks who print and make the hats/shirrts/sweatshirts......

This could have a mjor impact on the NC PA communtiy, in an area that is not necessarilty a metropolitan city, outside of Nittany town.

Dont confuse this for an excuse not to punish the criminals, but I wonder if they gave any thought to that, or if they cared?

The collateral damage may be bigger than the fines!

This is the unfortunate result of a few folks actions hurting many.  If you wrestle with pigs, you'll get muddy.

I know SMU was administered the 'Death Penalty' by the NCAA for paying players.  To not give PSU something similar or          banishing them forever is a farce.  So hurting children is less of a crime than paying a player?  Simply not acceptable to this father.

All this was a tragedy- and those responsible,etc, knew-  anything should be punished severley. That being said and all emotions a side- was what the NCAA did legal? 60 million dollar fine. Isn't PSU a state school ? Isn't that funded by tax payer $$$$- who really pays? Isn't the NCAA a volunteered to orginization ?.

What if a group of schools   dis band ? There is a lot more to all of this and I'm not sure what the NCAA did was legal- not that there should not be severe death like punishment for those involved-- just not so sure on how all this went down and the implications it creates.