Piper Paid

I know SMU was administered the 'Death Penalty' by the NCAA for paying players.  To not give PSU something similar or          banishing them is a farce.  So hurting children is less of a crime than paying a player?  Simply not acceptable to this father.

I think this penalty is better......in some ways. The program will have a long (ten year) road back if they do get back. The number of players they can recruit makes them a very low division 1 team.

They will struggle to win a couple games a year......they will have to try to play to very lesser competition. While this was not the death sentence.....it is very fitting IMO. We will see how many fans will show up to watch 1 and 9 seasons with no chance of a bowl game.

I think it is good that PSU has to understand that football is not more important than anything else. It is not.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john mcg

• cmc274

• River19

• Steelheadfred

Dakota Dogman
Can someone please explain to me how striking all of Paterno's wins from 1998 to whenever constitutes a punishment?

I'm glad that something is being done.

Doubt that there is a right thing to be done, but at least an attempt is being made at justice.

I have to agree with this question though... or how you can even do it?  I get it, you can say it didn't happen.  However, we can not erase the games. People sat through them.  People played in them.  This isn't a computer virus we can "unwrite".  In the end we are playing a stupid paper game of "stinky cheese curse".  The games were played.  The coaches were idiots.  The teams still won or lost.  Don't let him into a hall of fame?  Okay, that we can do.  Tear down a statue.  Sure.  Unwrite history?  ???

For the record, I hate football & could care less about Penn state.  

God Bless,

I know SMU was administered the 'Death Penalty' by the NCAA for paying players.  To not give PSU something similar or          banishing them is a farce.  So hurting children is less of a crime than paying a player?  Simply not acceptable to this father.

I think this penalty is better......in some ways. The program will have a long (ten year) road back if they do get back. The number of players they can recruit makes them a very low division 1 team.

They will struggle to win a couple games a year......they will have to try to play to very lesser competition. While this was not the death sentence.....it is very fitting IMO. We will see how many fans will show up to watch 1 and 9 seasons with no chance of a bowl game.

I think it is good that PSU has to understand that football is not more important than anything else. It is not.

I dunno Chuck.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  SMU is still not 'back' and it is my feeling that PSU should never have a football program that amounts to anything, anytime soon.  

I don't think covering up the of raping kids should warrant less of a punishment than paying players.  Call me crazy but I believe that no game or struggle for TV money trumps the protection of our children.

While the whole thing is very difficult to navigate, there is a distinct difference between the two.  Once is a NCAA infraction (paying players), the other is a criminal investigation into a pedophile and the associated coverup with real trials, judges, and juries.  Don't think you can draw similarities.

The majority of people that I have heard have stated that a one year ban would have been preferable from a football standpoint.  A 4 year bowl ban, ability to transfer immediately and long term scholarship reduction will cripple the program for a long time.

Maybe that can be considered justice and people can move on.

I can think of NOTHING more despicable than adults in positions of trust abusing and exploiting children.

Ben,

I don't think we should move on, it should be a lasting, long lasting reminder of this crime, a crime I find every bit the equal of murder.

The pervert got a long sentance--he should have been shot IMHO.

PSU got wacked good by the NCAA.

All good.

What has happened to all the people who were told about this pervert and did nothing?? Or took the minimal step to report it one person up the chain of command? Those children's lives have been forever ruined.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke.

The entire PSU organization is rotten to the core. The Governor and state legislature need to get this sorted out.

I think Fuess's comments are spot on. In my opinion the wrong people are being punished. I agree with the sanctions against Paterno. But I don't get punishing the students/athletes.

More importantly why weren't the Trustees who participated in the cover up forced to resign. They are as culpable as anyone else involved if not more so. They were the ultimate authority and they totally fell down on the job.

I think the underlying message the NCAA was sending, whether intended or not, is that football and sports in general, should not be sacrosanct. Sports has just become too damned important. This should serve as a warning to all big time college athletic programs that perhaps it's time to devalue athletics. I doubt the other big time sports factories got the message. It'll be business as usual until such time as something similar happens on their campus, which may never happen.

If you need another example of our obsession with sports look at the money and hype that's surrounds the olympics. All in an effort to win the medal count and prove that my country is better than your country. I won't watch a single event, but I'm sure I'm in the distinct minority.

Then we could look at the obscene amount of money that goes into pro sports. Let's not even go there!!

ANF grousin
I think we are underestimating the severity of the verdict.  

1st- I wonder if the program ever survives or comes back??  

2- The football program supported most of the entire sports program, so, this not only effects football, it affects all the scholar athletes.

3- THe football program also supports alot of the other programs on campus.

4- Has anyone given any thought to the local businss that rely on the weekend games to fill bars, hotels, eateries.....  Not to mention the folks who print and make the hats/shirrts/sweatshirts......

This could have a mjor impact on the NC PA communtiy, in an area that is not necessarilty a metropolitan city, outside of Nittany town.

Dont confuse this for an excuse not to punish the criminals, but I wonder if they gave any thought to that, or if they cared?

The collateral damage may be bigger than the fines!

1.  I guess we'll find out what kind of fans PSU has.  Will the support the team when its down, or only when it was convenient for idol worship?  Is the coach being honest in his statements, or CYA until he can get out of town.  This will show what PSU is really made of.

2.  Where were all those sports teams when they had the candle light vigil for the victims last November?  They were no where to be found.  They were only concerned with their sorry asses and not the true victims.  Football is still being played, so there should be no down turn in their support.  If the alumni are as great as they claim, they will fill in any missing money.  Remember they donated to get their name on a hockey arena and baseball stadium.

3.  How do other colleges support those programs?

4.  Couple things to consider here.  If your business model revolves around 6-7 football games, you arent a very good business person.  Rumors of this problem has been swirling in the community for years.  A lot of business men had ties to PSU and the Second Mile.  As long as business was good they would gladly close their eyes and ears and enjoy the profits.  The cover up in 1998 was public knoweledge in this area.  

Living 25 miles from SC, there was no benefit coming this way as those will their noses in the air would never associate with a bunch of backward hicks on top of the mountain.  Dont expect me to give a rats ass for a drop off in money they could be experiencing in the coming years.

A few other thoughts.  For weeks all that was heard was to only punish those that committed the crimes.  Well Paterno was a major player in the scandal, his wins were taken away, and now we here its isnt fair to the players.  Ohio State had a season vacated, lost scholarships, and is not eligible for a bowl game this year for selling trophies and free tattoos.  Some how I think raping boys is slightly worse.

This does not affect this years team other then losing out on a bowl game.  Their team in intact with the current players, unless some abandon ship.  All current and incoming players are allowed switch colleges, so they dont lose the chance to play football.  They can also finish out their education at PSU even if they dont want to play football.

For those that say the NCAA had no jurisdiction in the matter, there is the smallproblem if institutional control.  In 2004 the BOT wanted to exert greater control over the workings of the university and sports teams, and Spanier told them to pound sand.  In 2007 we found out the university had no control over the discipline of the football team, Paterno had full control of that.  The football team was a run away train with no stopping it.  Everyone was enjoying the benefits, now that the gravy train has been derailed everyone is crying and begging for mercy.

I think we are underestimating the severity of the verdict.  

1st- I wonder if the program ever survives or comes back??  

2- The football program supported most of the entire sports program, so, this not only effects football, it affects all the scholar athletes.

3- THe football program also supports alot of the other programs on campus.

4- Has anyone given any thought to the local businss that rely on the weekend games to fill bars, hotels, eateries.....  Not to mention the folks who print and make the hats/shirrts/sweatshirts......

This could have a mjor impact on the NC PA communtiy, in an area that is not necessarilty a metropolitan city, outside of Nittany town.

Dont confuse this for an excuse not to punish the criminals, but I wonder if they gave any thought to that, or if they cared?

The collateral damage may be bigger than the fines!

1.  I guess we'll find out what kind of fans PSU has.  Will the support the team when its down, or only when it was convenient for idol worship?  Is the coach being honest in his statements, or CYA until he can get out of town.  This will show what PSU is really made of.

2.  Where were all those sports teams when they had the candle light vigil for the victims last November?  They were no where to be found.  They were only concerned with their sorry asses and not the true victims.  Football is still being played, so there should be no down turn in their support.  If the alumni are as great as they claim, they will fill in any missing money.  Remember they donated to get their name on a hockey arena and baseball stadium.

3.  How do other colleges support those programs?

4.  Couple things to consider here.  If your business model revolves around 6-7 football games, you arent a very good business person.  Rumors of this problem has been swirling in the community for years.  A lot of business men had ties to PSU and the Second Mile.  As long as business was good they would gladly close their eyes and ears and enjoy the profits.  The cover up in 1998 was public knoweledge in this area.  

Living 25 miles from SC, there was no benefit coming this way as those will their noses in the air would never associate with a bunch of backward hicks on top of the mountain.  Dont expect me to give a rats ass for a drop off in money they could be experiencing in the coming years.

A few other thoughts.  For weeks all that was heard was to only punish those that committed the crimes.  Well Paterno was a major player in the scandal, his wins were taken away, and now we here its isnt fair to the players.  Ohio State had a season vacated, lost scholarships, and is not eligible for a bowl game this year for selling trophies and free tattoos.  Some how I think raping boys is slightly worse.

This does not affect this years team other then losing out on a bowl game.  Their team in intact with the current players, unless some abandon ship.  All current and incoming players are allowed switch colleges, so they dont lose the chance to play football.  They can also finish out their education at PSU even if they dont want to play football.

For those that say the NCAA had no jurisdiction in the matter, there is the smallproblem if institutional control.  In 2004 the BOT wanted to exert greater control over the workings of the university and sports teams, and Spanier told them to pound sand.  In 2007 we found out the university had no control over the discipline of the football team, Paterno had full control of that.  The football team was a run away train with no stopping it.  Everyone was enjoying the benefits, now that the gravy train has been derailed everyone is crying and begging for mercy.

Well, I guess we will see.  But to some of your questions about how other colleges handle this??  Title 9 is "spread the wealth".  So, other colleges without the "big engine" drop programs, plain and simple.  So, there will be kids who might want/hope to play their sport/non revenue generating (fencing/badmitton/gymnastics....) and cannot since the school may choose to drop the program for financial reasons.  

My alma mater dropped several sports, including mine, (baseball) since running the program was deemed too expensive.

PT 4 Business model?  I think Beaver stadium holds 125k plus (not sure), plus the overflow for parties.  So, if half of the game is students, that means 70k or so is potential loss.  70kx8 games is 500k of people NOT SPENDING MONEY.  The example could go on and on.  My point, in this part of the world, it is alot of people to have to make up, if they stay home.

Living 25 miles south, you may say that now, but if it starts to hurt, maybe you change your mind.  No one ever knows how far the ripples travel and how they effect and econmy.

This is not to say a crime was not committed, nor should it not be punished, just wonderig how many others will be "punished"??

All this was a tragedy- and those responsible,etc, knew-  anything should be punished severley. That being said and all emotions a side- was what the NCAA did legal? 60 million dollar fine. Isn't PSU a state school ? Isn't that funded by tax payer $$$$- who really pays? Isn't the NCAA a volunteered to orginization ?.

What if a group of schools   dis band ? There is a lot more to all of this and I'm not sure what the NCAA did was legal- not that there should not be severe death like punishment for those involved-- just not so sure on how all this went down and the implications it creates.

It was a consent decree.    PSU agreed to the penalty.

I'm not a lawyer, but I suppose that if PSU wanted to withdraw from the NCAA then the NCAA might have less of a (or no) leg to stand on and demand payment...

By removing the wins since "98 Paterno no longer is the "winningest coach" and his name is now in tied for 5th place or something like that, no longer on the top of the page.  At least that was the explanation I heard one talking head give today.

The penalties all made pretty good sense to me, especially the provision for the football players to keep going to school on full scholarship and not having to play football. Or the ability of the players to transfer without sitting out a year.

The $60 million penalty seemed a little excessive to me, IMHO that money should go towards other sports at Penn State as well as to fund a Sexual Predator Victims fund in Pennsylvania.

Sanctions could easily have been worse, the problem the NCAA had was that more colleges than just PSU are tied to sanctions some say were deserved.  The death penalty for the program hits all the other big ten teams hard, for example.  

I think it's just another example of no good answers for dealing with a complex and difficult problem.  

The bottom line ought to be this:  Will these penalties help insure the same thing never happens again?

I'd like to think so.  

But I remember the yawning reaction received here when a VERY similar situation involving the beloved Red Sox were mentioned.  

If JoePa's statue had to go then so should Jim Rice's bust be pulled out of the baseball hall of fame.

Everyone needs to stand up to such abuse when it happens, not wait to kick those caught after they are down.

I don't think the piper will be paid in this situation until one scum bag in prison runs into a couple other scum bags with pained memories of their youth and a broken plunger handle.
DennisMcFeely
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke.

An apt quote in this situation.  I don't care what they do to the PSU football program after what happened to those kids and the criminal failure of leadership of those four men.