NRA "Enabler of Death" Video

CdnWingShooter

It seems to me that the Supreme Court has become a 'political' entity and if my understanding of the separation of powers is correct, that is precisely what it should not be.

Probably a difficult thing for men in robes to avoid and yet isn't that why we purport to choose the best and strongest among us.

We need 'plain speak'.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gundogpa

• john mcg

• Spin

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Gun control is the best litmus test when evaluating people and especially politicians. It's as simple as this; either you believe in the people's right to defend against a tyrannical government or you don't.  You can only be on one side of the fence.  There's no gray area.

Please watch Fareed Sakaria's show he does a very good segment on gun control, violence and the US. A few brief facts pointed out and cralified.

In the last 9 or 10 years

1. Major crime nimbers have declined, Auto theft, robbery, murder with all weapons - BUT Not firearm related shootings and murder. They have gone up.

2. States which maintain tighter restrictions on "assualt weapons" have lower crime rates involving them.

3. The estimated number of small arms in the USA is approx. 50% of the worlds supply, amounting to 88.8 guns for every 100 Americans. If guns prevent or ruduce crime the United States would be the safest nation with the lowest firearm crime rate in the world by a huge margin. It is one of the highest and still rising.

4.  Mentally ill killers are not unique to the US. Stress, poverty, etc are spread out pretty evenly throughout the entire world. Why does the US. produce so many more mass shootings and firearm murders? The fact is the US. has more guns by a HUGE margin. Thats the difference.

I'd urge all members of the list to watch this show if it's at all possible. Here in WI. it aires again on cable (CNN) at noon CDST.

Look Listen Learn

Spin

Cooter Brown

Please watch Fareed Sakaria's show he does a very good segment on gun control, violence and the US. A few brief facts pointed out and cralified.

In the last 9 or 10 years

1. Major crime nimbers have declined, Auto theft, robbery, murder with all weapons - BUT Not firearm related shootings and murder. They have gone up.

Look Listen Learn

Spin

I don't know where in the world Mr. Zakaria gets his numbers, but I got mine from the FBI:

Since 2006 murder declined every year for a total decline of 13.9% for 2010 over 2006.

Murders with firearms declined every year for a total decline of 14.2% for 2010 over 2006.

Here's a link:

FBI Expanded Homicide Data

The CDC has the numbers too.  Find that site yourself if you care to.  You have to dig around a bit because in some of the numbers they include in firearms deaths all homicides, which is one person killing another, whether it's murder, police action, or justified self defense.

I stopped, I looked, I listened, I learned.  I just chose to listen to the FBI and CDC rather than some guy with a TV show.  Given the inaccuracy of his murder numbers, I'm more than a little suspicious of his other contentions.

Take particular note of the fact that total number of murders with a RIFLE in 2010 was 358, with an average over the five years of 396...note also that more people are killed with hands, fists and feet than with rifles, and far more are killed with knives.

Cooter Brown

On right now and I believe he gives his sources

I'll pass.  I'm fairly satisfied with my sources.  If you or he have better ones than what I cited, please let us know.

When you are watching anything on TV nowadays you have to beware of covert political agenda. Just becaused it pretty much supports what you believe doesn't mean it's true. We have to be very vigilant and cynical when evaluating information on controversial issues and especially when changing the basic fundamentals of the founding of our county is in the lurch.

Zakaria argues that Americans should give the federal government half of what they inherit.

“I would enact a 50 percent inheritance tax, because nothing is more un-American than an inherited elite that perpetuates itself,” Zakaria wrote for Time magazine.

CNN contributor Fareed Zakaria argues that the Constitution is outdated and its principles should be “debated and fixed” to conform with the modern era. He suggests “a set of amendments to modernize the Constitution for the 21st Century.”

This is not the first time Zakaria has talked about ditching the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. He recently told Charlie Rose that America is “parochial” and there are countries around the world that do things better than we do.

Zakaria is a smart fellow. He knows the Constitution established bedrock principles that led to previously unimagined wealth and prosperity.

He also understands the average American knows almost nothing about the Constitution and certainly nothing about republicanism, liberty and inalienable rights. Far too many Americans know virtually nothing about classical liberalism, the ideal of limited government, and the unbridled liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.

Zakaria points to the current social, political, economic breakdown in America. He attributes it to an outmoded system of government.

In fact, the system no longer works because America is no longer a constitutionally limited republic and has allowed a secretive cabal of globalists, bankers, and one-worlders to chip our liberty away.

America is in decline precisely because we have allowed the government to replace classical liberalism with a corrupt modern liberalism.

It is now widely believed that rights are parceled out, guaranteed and taken away by the state. Our problems arise from the fact we are now vassals of the state and are no longer sovereign citizens.

They would love to disarm us

Quote:

"The estimated number of small arms in the USA is approx. 50% of the worlds supply, amounting to 88.8 guns for every 100 Americans. If guns prevent or ruduce crime the United States would be the safest nation with the lowest firearm crime rate in the world by a huge margin. It is one of the highest and still rising."

It's a small price to pay to live in the freest nation in the world.  

Totalitarian govts. always have lower crime rates if you don't consider the crimes on the people by such governments.

I'll take freedom along with the costs.  Ben Franklin agreed.

PartridgeCartridge
Zakaria argues that Americans should give the federal government half of what they inherit.

“I would enact a 50 percent inheritance tax, because nothing is more un-American than an inherited elite that perpetuates itself,” Zakaria wrote for Time magazine.

CNN contributor Fareed Zakaria argues that the Constitution is outdated and its principles should be “debated and fixed” to conform with the modern era. He suggests “a set of amendments to modernize the Constitution for the 21st Century.”

This is not the first time Zakaria has talked about ditching the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. He recently told Charlie Rose that America is “parochial” and there are countries around the world that do things better than we do.

Zakaria is a smart fellow. He knows the Constitution established bedrock principles that led to previously unimagined wealth and prosperity.

He also understands the average American knows almost nothing about the Constitution and certainly nothing about republicanism, liberty and inalienable rights. Far too many Americans know virtually nothing about classical liberalism, the ideal of limited government, and the unbridled liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.

Zakaria points to the current social, political, economic breakdown in America. He attributes it to an outmoded system of government.

In fact, the system no longer works because America is no longer a constitutionally limited republic and has allowed a secretive cabal of globalists, bankers, and one-worlders to chip our liberty away.

America is in decline precisely because we have allowed the government to replace classical liberalism with a corrupt modern liberalism.

It is now widely believed that rights are parceled out, guaranteed and taken away by the state. Our problems arise from the fact we are now vassals of the state and are no longer sovereign citizens.

They would love to disarm us

Nice post Bobman but these are not your words.

It helps to keep quotes in context and source.

BTW, I'll stick with the FBI stats too.

Geez..I'm not trying to be some impressive commentator just was searching around the internet picking out various positions  of Zacharias' history on issues for some context of who he is

I'll footnote stuff for you in the future if it will make you happy

Updating the Constitution periodically was promoted by both Jefferson and Franklin. They had the wisdom to forsee and understand that times change and the nations needs with it and so should the constition, the blueprint for the nation, with it.

As to the right to bear arms against a repressive government? Well embroiled in a revolution and relying on

a volunteer army Do you think they are going to press gun control? I'll cite Shay's rebellion as an example of how much the founders really wanted the people to rise in armed rebellion and remind you that many of the founders like Madison and Washington were proponents of hanging rebels. This isn't political theory open to interpretation it'd recorded fact and the history of thier real physical actions. Expanding the nations territories that happended to be populated by a  hostile indigenous people do you think they'ed push hard on gun control? With little or no organized law enforcement existing might they have figured a real need for a self armed populace? As civilization and order became established restrictions and controls were emposed as needed and were accepted.  Do you really believe the founders would support zero constraints or restrictions on firearms. Even in those early times few local restrictions were impossed  but every so often when deemed nesessary for the safety of the common populace there were - and they not only stood they were generally applauded by the common population. Bear in mind that the atrocities we see today and it seems some of you seem willing to accept from reasons varying from "it's my Constitutional right" to I want to practice the old and steeped in American traditionon of modern black gun compititions. (hey if those black guns are really no different, the same I guess there's no real need for the AR's)

even tho it's well established some controls and restrictions are quite legal. (a nice short easily read paper on Heller and legal standing and rights afterward  link: http://students.washington.edu/wulr....05).pdf

Don't worry if you want to dismiss this paper there are pleanty of others. I chose it because it was short and to the point.) to individual responsibility for ownership and use, that fails to a pretty high percent that simply not very responsible about firearm ownership or use. I live in a very rural area and see a neighbor really ticked because his barn just had 3 .30 cal. holes added to one wall. A gun club board member and gun safety course instructor take pot shots at a neighboring farmers Lab (no particular reason, just felt like killing something) idiots shooting blindly into the air. and so on and so forth. Granted you can't control or regulate

a lot of the callous abuses but some? I think so.

Weigh limiting the lethal firing capability against the incovience of loading more magazines? A three month old infant was hit in Aurora, a very young girl in Arizona killed. I don't think the Founders would have said "well guess that's the price of convience. I'm inclinded to think at the least they'd have acted twords restriction, legal penalty, and controls. These things didn't happen at that time but had they, and repeatedly yet I'm certain they would not have said

This government will act. This will stop. My point. Many people given this power and the capability to use it will not act responsibly.

Totalitarian Governments? Like Canada, Great Britian, Switzerland, Japan, Austrilia, And on and on. C'mon I mentioned before if you can't feel safe without being constantly armed with a gun you aren't free at all.