NRA "Enabler of Death" Video

CdnWingShooter

If ratified by the senate it would pose ominous threats to the 2nd Amendment and supercede that constitutional  right.  In other words a back door attempt to whittle away at the 2nd.

How?

It won't. That's speculative hyperbole.

Well I don't know whether to believe you or Dick Morris but if you understand these things better than I do (I'm no lawyer) you might want to watch this 3 minute clip that Dick Morris did.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog....aty-att

Virgil

The vast majority of what's said in the video is purely speculative, too. It all hinges on the creation of a gun registry, which is wildly impractical, given the number of guns already in circulation in the U.S. He doesn't say anything else that might impact U.S. gun owners, although his repeated use of the phrase "back door" certainly does lend the video an air of intrigue...  Oo.gif

The whole thing is another "slippery slope" argument, and I'm not buying it.

I'm no lawyer either, but I'd be curious if anyone with any real knowledge of Constitutional Law could speak to Mr. Morris' explanation of treaties and their relative significance in comparison to Constitution Amendments, especially iwhen they appear to be in opposition to one another.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gundogpa

• john mcg

• Spin

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no desire to own an assault rifle. I think they're ugly and repulsive, and some of the people who buy and sell them are too. I've seen them at gun shows, scary folks in my opinion. However, I do not believe we need laws preventing law abiding people from owning one of these ugly weapons if they so choose. Ugly and scary are in the eye of the beholder.  I also don't think we should have laws preventing people from buying 5000 rounds of ammo, if they so choose. Clips holding a hundred rounds or so, maybe,  but I'd even be highly reluctant to support that.

I'm also not one of those who think there would have been less bloodshed in this latest episode if someone else in the audience had been armed. Maybe, but unless they are highly trained on how to respond with deadly force in a situation such as that, I fear the results could have been worse.

I see almost no one, except for a few journalists, calling for more gun control in the wake of this incident. Not our, so called "commie-pinko" president, nor 99% of congress. There is simply no support for even considering it. Maybe that's due to it being an election year, but I'm not going to spend my time until the next election being paranoid about it. The UN treaty thing has been debunked in enough places to make me think there's nothing there to be worried about.

I'm against gun control for some of  the same reasons that I don't favor seat belt and helmet laws, or the patriot act. You can't protect people from everything!  There is no way for a society to be both safe and free! Humans being the basically violent creatures that we are, an occasional tragic incident such as the one last week in Colorado is, unfortunately, part of the price we pay for living in a free society, in my opinion.

Lastly, I don't think people who hate guns and would favor gun control to be some sort of evil people. They are simply people with a world view vastly different from my own. I do what I can to see that my side wins the day, but I don't feel the need to demonize those who disagree. Opinions are like a**holes everybody has one!

But guns with clips that hold dozens of rounds kill a lot more people than guns with shorter fixed magazines.  

That is absolutely NOT true.  FBI crime statistics point to exactly the opposite.

FBI Stats

Shotguns and knives are way more likely than rifles (where black rifles fall) to kill. Most of the pistols listed (the biggest killers) are cheap ones, revolvers of low quality and small autos.

I believe that less than 3% of all gun crimes are committed using "assault" weapons.

I'll keep mine thanks, and why do I need a 30 round magazine you ask? There might be thirty people that need to be shot that refuse to line up just so to save a round here and there during the firefight, or one guy that needs to be shot 30 times, just to make sure.

Fishnfowler
I'll keep mine thanks, and why do I need a 30 round magazine you ask? There might be thirty people that need to be shot that refuse to line up just so to save a round here and there during the firefight, or one guy that needs to be shot 30 times, just to make sure.

I don't personally think you are staying up at night hoping to shoot someone, but it comes off as a little creepy.  

When we discuss the 2nd, I don't think we should speak about it in terms of military conflict and zombie hordes.  My close friends who carry do so with the intent to shoot someone, but they aren't glib about it.  One was raped in college, and refuses to be a victim again.  Another has received death threats due to a Father being a federal judge.

I don't think it serves us to throw talk about mass killing on the table like a warm turd.  The 2nd means too much to me to demean it with deer camp humor.

I don't personally think you are staying up at night hoping to shoot someone, but it comes off as a little creepy.  

When we discuss the 2nd, I don't think we should speak about it in terms of military conflict and zombie hordes.  My close friends who carry do so with the intent to shoot someone, but they aren't glib about it.  One was raped in college, and refuses to be a victim again.  Another has received death threats due to a Father being a federal judge.

I don't think it serves us to throw talk about mass killing on the table like a warm turd.  The 2nd means too much to me to demean it with deer camp humor.

It's hard for me to separate "military" conflict when the basis of the amendment is that the right of the people to bear Arms (not fowling pieces but Arms in the then contemporary version, armed as in armed for military service) to form militia and defend the free state.

I learned to shoot a Ruger mini 14 at 14 years old. I shot more in a weekend than I would in a typical year in the Army. The Army is more concerned about running, which we did three times a week, than shooting, which we did all of twice a year with live ammo. Uncle Sam taught me how to clean a rifle, not shoot one. Not a single soldier that was good enough for competition shooting started fresh in boot camp.

As I said before, I'm unapologetic about what my rifles can do, and I'm a rifleman that can use them to great effect when needed. I needed those skills in Iraq, and maybe I won't need them again, but I'm keeping the knife sharp, just in case. And I'm not being glib, the purpose of a magazine fed auto loading rifle is to shoot as many foes that present themselves, efficiently and quickly. Again, no apologies. I don't sit around thinking about shooting someone, but the ability to kill men is the essence of the second amendment, not hunting, not target shooting, not personal self defense.

This still going... cool .

While I have not read most of the posts... here is an interesting article that has just surfaced.   It probably won't be popular on this forum, and by posting I am not indicating an opinion.   I am bringing it forward for your discussion and information.

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

JUL 23 2012, 1:45 PM ET 387

In part by forbidding almost all forms of firearm ownership, Japan has as few as two gun-related homicides a year.

..... snip to 3rd paragraph....

But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally.

see the article here

Well Japan...

Do we want to throw death by "Ricen" into the fray...on a bullet train, or station? This, from a country that has such tasteful customs as "Hara Kiri"...and hope I spelled it right, otherwise I might have to spill my guts...so to speak.

The real killing died with the Samuri...and Kamakazi stunt pilots. So, what do we have to learn about murder from this society? They seem to prefer the elegance of a blade vs. the pedestrian firearm.

With freedom comes responsibility. Japan is not that free, being bound by feudal tradition, and the Lotus Throne...from what I understand.

I'll keep my guns.

Shotster

Shotster... interesting...  Not sure about death by "Ricen"... but if you tell me it is a major killer in Japan... who am I to doubt it.

EDIT:  I have been to Japan... and i agree they are a terribly pent up society... no comparison to the US..

Your comment did cause me to do a quick check however and from the web (who knows if it is true!)

.. from 2010

The 1,097 murders in Japan according to statistics from the National Police Agency (NPA).  population of ~127 million.

USA  2010  14748 murders from  Wikipedia - population of ~308 Million.

It would seem from the numbers that when you add lots of guns you can be more effective at murder  :p   :down:

(roughly 5 times more murders per capita)

If you take the 12000  and 11 gun murders quoted in the article away..

you get ~ 1086 (Japan) vs 2748 (USA) .... strangely if you scale the 1097 by the population difference you come up with 2633 predicted in Japan if the pop was the same as the US.... I know that this is pure BS... but ... hmmm interestingly close to the 2748.    ???

Lets send them all the inner city black thugs in Atlanta and all the Mexican gangs from California see what it does for their stats....

My point is comparing Japans monoculture to our country is not realistic, and yes I know all the murders don't come from inner city residents but a ton of the statistics do... way out of proportion to their percentage of the population

I also wonder if you do commit a violent crime in Japan and are convicted do they have the same revolving door justice system we do???  I remember reading an article that said about 95% of violent crime here is committed by the same 10%  of our people hear.

I would hope that all of you that oppose  the NRA belong to the 2nd Admendment Foundation.  They are the only two national organizations that are fighting for our 2nd admentment rights I'm aware of.  If there are others I'd like to know about them as I'll join them also.  For one I am not for giving up any rights I have now.
 I remember reading an article that said about 95% of violent crime here is committed by the same 10%  of our people hear.

almost sounds like the tax payer  stats..... things that make you go hummmmmmmmm

I have no desire to own an assault rifle. I think they're ugly and repulsive, and some of the people who buy and sell them are too. I've seen them at gun shows, scary folks in my opinion. However, I do not believe we need laws preventing law abiding people from owning one of these ugly weapons if they so choose. Ugly and scary are in the eye of the beholder.  I also don't think we should have laws preventing people from buying 5000 rounds of ammo, if they so choose. Clips holding a hundred rounds or so, maybe,  but I'd even be highly reluctant to support that.

I'm also not one of those who think there would have been less bloodshed in this latest episode if someone else in the audience had been armed. Maybe, but unless they are highly trained on how to respond with deadly force in a situation such as that, I fear the results could have been worse.

I see almost no one, except for a few journalists, calling for more gun control in the wake of this incident. Not our, so called "commie-pinko" president, nor 99% of congress. There is simply no support for even considering it. Maybe that's due to it being an election year, but I'm not going to spend my time until the next election being paranoid about it. The UN treaty thing has been debunked in enough places to make me think there's nothing there to be worried about.

I'm against gun control for some of  the same reasons that I don't favor seat belt and helmet laws, or the patriot act. You can't protect people from everything!  There is no way for a society to be both safe and free! Humans being the basically violent creatures that we are, an occasional tragic incident such as the one last week in Colorado is, unfortunately, part of the price we pay for living in a free society, in my opinion.

Lastly, I don't think people who hate guns and would favor gun control to be some sort of evil people. They are simply people with a world view vastly different from my own. I do what I can to see that my side wins the day, but I don't feel the need to demonize those who disagree. Opinions are like a**holes everybody has one!

Couldn't say it any better myself.

I cant keep track of all the rather lively discussions on board right now, so sorry if this is out of context.

When the average politician or gun control advocate educates themselves on the basics of firearms; particularly actions like semi-auto vs full-auto and the general similarities between assault and hunting firearms then I will listen to what they say. Until then they have no respect from me. A relative on my wife's side recently visited and started pontificating on gun laws as the CO shooting was being sensationalized on the TV. The only weapon he ever holds is a golf club. To my wifes chagrine I promptly educated him, or let's say educated him on the fact he didn't know squat about the very basics of what he was spouting off about. I even dug out an article I wrote and had published in a reginal magazine called A Hunting Firearms Primer; a treatise on basic workings of rifles, shotguns etc. for the non-hunter. He left without reading it...

I cant keep track of all the rather lively discussions on board right now, so sorry if this is out of context.

When the average politician or gun control advocate educates themselves on the basics of firearms; particularly actions like semi-auto vs full-auto and the general similarities between assault and hunting firearms then I will listen to what they say. Until then they have no respect from me. A relative on my wife's side recently visited and started pontificating on gun laws as the CO shooting was being sensationalized on the TV. The only weapon he ever holds is a golf club. To my wifes chagrine I promptly educated him, or let's say educated him on the fact he didn't know squat about the very basics of what he was spouting off about. I even dug out an article I wrote and had published in a reginal magazine called A Hunting Firearms Primer; a treatise on basic workings of rifles, shotguns etc. for the non-hunter. He left without reading it...

I have heard and read sooooo much of that in the last few days. Things like:

"all you have to do is get a special magazine to turn a gun into an automatic."

Really......

Things on how high cap mags are more dangerous. Yeah right, everyone knows that the high cap mags like the drum mag don't work worth a crap anyway....and apparently jammed. (which is easy to clear but he obviously had no experience) A belt full of 15 rd mags is almost as fast and much more reliable than a huge mag.

There are people calling rifles shotguns, "high power" is thrown around to make things sound worse all the time, pretty much everything is highpower except a 22.

It's amazing how folks can form an opinion when they have no idea.