Climate Change

Climate Change  

1. 1. Climate Change

• Is human caused.
      Is human caused.
    • Is not human caused; part of the earth's normal climate cycles.
      Is human caused.
    • Is not occurring.
      Is human caused.
    • The Jury is still out (your undecided?)
      Is human caused.
    • Is a left wing conspiracy?
      Is human caused.
    • All science is a left wing conspiracy?
      Is human caused.

read an interesting article in Science Mag ---  "confounders"  ...  information that seems to be germaine but really has nothing to do with reality, just confuses the issue...  

"ozone depletion" may be a coincidental occurance or might be a product of global warming ... ? ? ?  both are occuring is fact..  as is finding tropical fossils in Greenland and mastodon ivory in the polar cap ..

Maybe we're still recovering from the ice age??   :p

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hunshatt

• john mcg

• valuman

• Briarscratch

Yes, indeedy, a good post. If global climate change/warming is caused by humans, how did a few cavemen cause all that ice to melt, time after time??

Might the sun and solar cycles have more to do with global climate change?

Any accurate scientific theory about climate change must explain the many thousands of years of climate change evidenced in the geologic record/ice core studies/history, not just something which supposedly occurred one time over the last few decades.

Bingo!

BINGO!

BINGOOOO!  Your are the winner quailguy!

When Mount Pinatubo went off in 1991 it set us into a couple years of Global cooling.  We are in an interglacial period coming off the little ice age that ended in the early 1800's....ya it is going to warm for a few thousand years, but within a hundred thousand we will be in an ice age again.

There is enough to worry about with our lives that we have some control over than to be wasting effort worrying about things we have no control over.  If we did can we make it stay cool today so I can run the dogs in the afternoon today?

I noted the other day that one of the most celebrated naysayers--a physics prof. from Berkely-- jumped onto the man caused GW wagon with both feet.  Was long a doubter until he analyzed data that he had criticized others for not considering--and once he did, came to the conclusion that the recent more sudden rise is real,  and the only thing it can be tied to--is man caused increase in CO2.

I heard that guy debating two scientists who were clearly using the current talking points on the 'human caused' argument and that newly converted guy disagreed with most of their points.

His 'buy in' is narrow. All he said was that by looking at the basically same data that was available, his team came up with the same number; that it appeared an average of 1 degree of warming has occurred. He also refuted their arguments saying that the data over the last 100 years indicates a general cooling trend.

I suspect the 'data' first off and conclusions that result.

Sampling of such a large system is not very 'scientific', considering what conclusions are sought.

150+ years of using the earth, air, and waters of the planet as the toilet bowl for the Industrial Revolution has had absolutly no impact on the climate system?  Come on....

I get frustrated with this stuff because it seems so clear to me.

The bottom line is the 'community' is myopic. The system is way too big with way too many variables that interact over long periods of time setting in motion cause and effect scenarios that are then continually nudged one way or another by other more local variables that aren't understood any better than the larger forces. Conjecture is just that. There is no scientific model for this stuff.

Its like the best quantum physicists in the world discussing string theory models and such and declaring that they are close to a 'unifying theory' with the same. And then confessing that they haven't found a way to include 'gravity' into the computations.

That is like trying to explain why the sky is blue without using refraction.

This stuff makes my head hurt.

150+ years of using the earth, air, and waters of the planet as the toilet bowl for the Industrial Revolution has had absolutly no impact on the climate system?  Come on....

Its a matter of 'scale' firstly and then looking at the changes that man has made or influenced concurrent with the emissions.

We cut trees, but we also put fires out.

We burn less wood, but we drive cars.

Its just not that simple and our contribution is a drop in the bucket in terms of both time span and volume.

Greg Hartman

X2

Roost em 1st

Agreed. But the poll says humans either have or have not caused climate change. Nothing about impacting, about causing.

This is one of those topics where we all have an opinion. No discussion is going to alter our answer.

Kind of like Religion or politics or the NRA.

This is one of those topics where we all have an opinion. No discussion is going to alter our answer.

Kind of like Religion or politics or the NRA.

But, it may cause one or two to consider other lines of thought before simply trusting what a 'community' says.

Agreed?

For the record--I don't care one way or another. I just think that 'thinking' is a good thing.

:)

I think that relocating mass into concentrated areas is throwing the earth off axis and changing the orbit and ....... we got to spread out all those spent rods and redistribute population and disassemble all  big cities...  :p

I think I read that the earth really is changing axis and orbit.  Wonder how that fits into the mix??

I think that relocating mass into concentrated areas is throwing the earth off axis and changing the orbit and ....... we got to spread out all those spent rods and redistribute population and disassemble all  big cities...  :p

I think I read that the earth really is changing axis and orbit.  Wonder how that fits into the mix??

One of the larger forces. Antarctica is a 'cool' place.

:)

Chris Raymond
Yeah, dumb scientists.   All they care about is trimming a few lbs off the spaniel and finding a weekend to get away during hunting season.

Corrected. At least in the case of this scientist.

That's it for this scientist too :laugh:

Geeze now I feel as bad as vets  :oh:  

I did spend a career studing the last ice age in detail over northern lower and the UP of Michigan.  All I know is a little over 10,000 years ago we had ice over a mile thick where I'm sitting now, and it all melted, then drained to where the the Straits of Mackinac was a rather small river, then filled up again to where I would be sitting in post glacial Lake Michigan right now.  As crustal rebound continues the dune-swale complex you see along US 2 in the Naubinway area, each dune is formed in about 70 years.  I've been here long enough to see one formed over the last 25-30 years.  Us geological scientists (fill in the ___) recognize 5 to 7 glacial periods during the Pleistocene or roughly last 700,000 years.  Then there is a considerable amount of geologist that think the earth has been completely frozen, maybe more than once http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_Earth  and then thawed again.

So after all that scientist mumbo-jumbo all I know is the earth gets cold then the earth gets warm.  Some days are too damn hot for me and a few are too damn cold to even ice fish :laugh:

Speaking of all that, I'm sure you saw that Nat Geo piece where they mapped the bottoms of the Great Lakes and how they were formed.  It was very interesting.

Brad? With the hongers last tirade , now this?

Are we " open for political business"?

Brad? With the hongers last tirade , now this?

Are we " open for political business"?

GB--why is it that we can't just have a discussion?

As has been said on other controversies in the past--one doesn't have to 'click'.

I'm not being confrontational--just saying.

Why does something outside of us, have to sink in so deeply and cause offense?