Climate Change

Climate Change  

1. 1. Climate Change

• Is human caused.
      Is human caused.
    • Is not human caused; part of the earth's normal climate cycles.
      Is human caused.
    • Is not occurring.
      Is human caused.
    • The Jury is still out (your undecided?)
      Is human caused.
    • Is a left wing conspiracy?
      Is human caused.
    • All science is a left wing conspiracy?
      Is human caused.

DennisMcFeely
Give me a break, no really, give me a break.

stopwatch.jpg

Relax Brad.  This is just a warmup for the inevitable cap and trade poll.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hunshatt

• john mcg

• valuman

• Briarscratch

Why does something outside of us, have to sink in so deeply and cause offense?

While I disagree with a lot of what's been written on this thread, I'm 100% in agreement with this. There is no reason for folks to get so riled up about issues, especially when they're being discussed on an internet BB, and I think this thread has remained quite civil so far.

Carry on.

Speaking of all that, I'm sure you saw that Nat Geo piece where they mapped the bottoms of the Great Lakes and how they were formed.  It was very interesting.

Yes Chris! Very very interesting.  There are a few places I know of up here where there are still standing timber (I believe spruce?? that the researchers have carbon dated) in 60-80 feet of water of Lake Huron.  It is this kind of research that has found glacial deposits in the bottom of the oceans around the equator.  Maybe it is the "tilt"??

For the record--I don't care one way or another. I just think that 'thinking' is a good thing.

:)

I'm thinking I like your thinking John.

I think it all boils down to people who think humans actually have some significant control of nature and people who think we are just a tiny part of nature and are here for the ride.

Rhode Island
Whether its human caused, or part of some "natural cycle" (whatever "natural" is), if the current warming trends continue, a lot of us that enjoy bird hunting in arid or semi-arid climates would do well to start looking for new hobbies  :glare:

One basic philosophical difference that drives this issue is how people view mankind's role in nature differently.  Some feel that we are an inherent part of the world, just like the deer and birds,  and others feel we are a "cancer" and it's just a matter of time until we are necessarily and properly eliminated.  These are the folks that complain about human overpopulation, yet they aren't in a hurry to take themselves out of the equation.

I like to think that I'm here for a reason and that I brighten my little corner of Earth and make a special place a little more, uh, specialer.

Briarscratch

I heard an interesting interview yesterday with science writer Michael Lemonick.  He brought up many interesting points, none of which bode well for our little group of outdoor enthusiasts.

One thing that struck me was his comments around global temperatures.  He said that in the last century the average global temperature has risen 1 degree.   Doesn't sound like much but then he want on to explain that the temperature difference between the ice age and current times was only 8 degrees.

Regardless of whether or not you believe the concerns are politically motivated, the science legitimate or fraudulent....things are changing and they're going to have a significant impact on all life over the coming decades.

Here's a link to the interview.

Rhode Island
One basic philosophical difference that drives this issue is how people view mankind's role in nature differently.  Some feel that we are an inherent part of the world, just like the deer and birds,  and others feel we are a "cancer" and it's just a matter of time until we are necessarily and properly eliminated.  

I would suggest that dichotomy is a fairly narrow way to think about it, and you are missing the folks at the opposite extreme who believe humans have an inherent right of dominion over the planet and all its other inhabitants (not part of the system; above the system).  

I would suggest most people fall along some continuum based on their individual value system.  For many of us, being an "inherent part of the world" is not free license to abuse it in any way we see fit.  If you value wild things and wild places, there is room to perceive human actions in a negative light.  If you view things like clean air, clean water, and healthy food as prerequisites for human existence, then you absolutely have to acknowledge the negative impacts our species often has.  Otherwise we are just writing ourselves a blank check to do whatever we want, wherever we want, regardless of the consequences to our species or others.

RI

Rhode Island
soooooooo , grouses/mud bats  is out and we're all gonna be hunting chuckar, huns and valley quail?

More likely that those of us who hunt chukar, quail, huns, etc. will be S.O.L.  I imagine you will still have some grouse and doodles to chase around.

RI

For me to admit that humans have any culpability in effecting the climate is just too heavy a load to bear.

That would mean I might have to change the way I live -- stop burning up all that gasoline driving hundreds of miles to bird hunt and fly fish.

Cut down on the AC at home.

Turn off some lights at night.

Cut back on consuming so many products.

It's all just too much of a hassle.

I prefer to see climate change as an apocalypse of dire prophesies finally coming to pass.

The End Times are here and like I read in the Weekly World News, all we can do is quake in terror. There's no stopping it -- these things were all decided ages ago, Nostradamus foretold them.

I also believe alchemists can turn lead into gold, the earth is flat, witches always sink if you throw them in the water, leprosy and other diseases are punishments meted out to sinners, Americans are the chosen ones and Manifest Destiny is our ironclad right, Elvis has NOT left the building, a watery tart pulling a sword from a stone IS a good basis for government, and if I swing my shotgun real fast and pull the trigger, the shot charge will fan out into a nice open pattern -- even from an extra-full choke.

Superstition is much more powerful than science... what do doctors, engineers and scientists know anyway.

It's not like they could cure polio or split atoms or build a spacecraft that could travel hundreds of millions of miles to Mars, then transmit pictures back and perform complex experiments there.

Let's stick with what works best: superstition and the Weekly World News.

blackbirds.jpg

bosco mctavitch

84% of the respondants thus far believe that climate change is happening for SOME reason...if you believe this then there will clearly be repurcussions that will affect a lot of people...an example:

climate change affects food production

In North America, projected changes in temperature, soil moisture, carbon dioxide, and pests associated with global warming are expected to decrease food-crop production by as much as 27 percent

IF (and I stress the word "if") we could change the climate in either direction, then does it even MATTER why it is happening?  Is a more pertinent question "CAN we, and SHOULD we DO something about it?"

If man has any significant impact, which I certainly don't believe, why do the greenies think the US can do it by themselves?

Most of the world says; "Just keep regulating yourselves to death, but keep buying our cheaper products before you go broke (aren't we already?) and BTW, thanks for those 10s of millions of jobs you transferred to us."