Vacation = How Much?

Tiger MT's Carter

Grouse Gunner

40 days-but with comp time, travel comp, and credit hours it could easily double or almost triple if I wanted it to.

One of the perks of being a Fed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Briarscratch

• Ted Moore

• Stuck in KS

• 2shot

I get 39 days this year, but always carry 5 over to the next year. Also get 3 personal days. I work 4 days on, 2 days off, works out to be something like 17 days less worked per year than someone Mon.-Fri.
I accrue 9.8 hrs of paid time off every 2 weeks. I can use them any way I want. Vacation, sick time, it's all lumped together. Works out to about 6 weeks off a year.

15 vacation days +4 more as a bonus if I dont use more the 24 hours sick time per year

15 sick days can be used hourly for doc appts and such

12 holidays plus 2 personal days

On call 24-7 from Nov 1st till Apr 1st must be able to report within 1 hour so that limits my hunting season to just being local

I'm self employed so none.

...or whatever I can get away with.

X2

X3.

X4

In 30 years of being self employed I think I've taken a total of 12-15 weeks vacation in that time.

Virgil

I've been here for 31 years and get 20 vacation days, 12 sick days and 3 floating holidays per year.

The more interesting part - for me anyway - is planning how to use what I've built up. I turned 60 this past summer and am on the 2-4 year plan to retirement. I currently have 24 hours of Floating Holiday, 304.72 hours of vacation and 2,404.4 hours of sick time accrued. Even as I use time I continue to gain 6.16 hours bi-weekly for vacation, 3.7 hours bi-weekly in sick time, and 3 floaters per year. Upon retirement I can cash in up to 160 hours of vacation for cash or I can use it all up before I retire. At this point in life, I think the vacation is more important to me than the money. I just need to either decide if I'm going to retire in 2 years or 4, or else start using vacation whenever I want and retire when I run out. If only it was really that easy!

northern_hunting_mom
2 weeks paid for me. Or, I can get my vacation pay accrued which is 4% of my gross whenever requested. Of course, this means that I don't get a paycheck when I take my vacation. Loren gets 3 weeks. He can also bank OT and use that for sick/personal days.
I get 30 days a year PTO.  My work is also pretty flexible so if I want to work 4 10's and take Friday off that works for them.
52 weeks.  For over 40 years of employment every dime my employer and I gave to the SS fund has been pi$$ed away... so I want to thank all you working stiffs for keeping my social secuity checks in the mail and on time!

Officially it is 16 days; but when people are putting in 60-80hrs per week, if you take a comp day somewhere, no one seems to bat an eye.

Plus sometimes I need a sanity day and work from home, usually get more accomplished.

Next year we are switching to a PTO system where sick and vacation is combined, people like me will benefit, I only call out sick if something from my stomach is making a guest appearance out of either end in an uncontrollable manner.

No one in my office calls out sick and doesn't work from home that day...