Vacation = How Much?

Tiger MT's Carter

7 weeks, plus comp time when I need to put time in on a holiday.    It works out well, as my wife is self-employed and doesn't get any.  Anytime our daughter is sick, or school events need attending, I am the one taking off.  The amount of time is never the issue for me.  Going away is expensive, and the cost of my daughter's tuition is climbing exponentially, it seems.  I just try and stay local to keep the expenses down.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Briarscratch

• Ted Moore

• Stuck in KS

• 2shot

I'm a self-employed CPA and make money only when I produce work so vacation is somewhat of a misnomer.

In the last 5 years my high for vacation was 23 weeks and the low was 17 weeks.

I let my last employee go in May and now work entirely by myself so now I'm tracking only the time that I can charge to clients.  I suspect that if I kept track of my time off it will still be in the 15 - 18 weeks range.

A lot of that time off is in the form of short work days.  Today, for example, I worked 4 hours this morning then Judy and I went to the gun club and shot 50 rounds each on the 5-stand - I had to try out my new to me AYA No 2.  We then had a nice lunch at a good restaurant in a nearby town.  When we got home I worked about another hour.  The advantage of being self-employed for 27 years is that I know when I need to work and when I can take time off.

I officially get 3 weeks vacation and what amounts to three weeks between holidays, sick days, etc.  Being salaried, I get no OT pay, so I typically try to recover some of that in un-offical comp time, but it's not a fool proof system.  I don't worry about 8 - 10hrs here and there, but if I end up working a 70+ week, than that's another issue.  What usually happens is that if I make plans to do something, than I will hear from clients that I have not heard from for years, and they will be having some type of major crises.  I could almost go through the client list and warn folks that the crap is going to hit the fan on certain dates, not sure what crap, but it will be bad.
26 vacation days per year.  I try to take most of them in October and November, but that will depend on work.  It annoys Sharon, but I wind up taking calls and answering emails on most of my days off.
northern_hunting_mom

Speaking of vacaton time, I am taking the week after Remembrance Day off. Deer season (usually rut is going well then) and an Alice Cooper concert.

If Amber didn't have her upcoming school Europe trip, I would take time off to go the Saskatchewan UJ hunt camp.

If Amber didn't have her upcoming school Europe trip, I would take time off to go the Saskatchewan UJ hunt camp.

I hear that the door is always open and there is always some vittles on the stove.

Before I retired, my vacation time was 5 weeks but as others have noted, comp time usually surpassed vacation time ...sometimes by a factor of 3. Just the nature of my work.

I gave up 5 weeks of vacation, comp time for working holidays, 3 personal holidays, 8 hoidays and 13 days sick/year just to retire.  That was 24 years ago, so it really adds up what I forfeited jus to retire.

Prior to 2007 I had six weeks of vacation and since I worked nearly 24/7 during the Summer I had several additional weeks of comp time.

Since 2007 I have earned 4 hours every two-week pay period.

Steelheadfred

I'm also self employed, but there are times of the year I can't take any time off. There are times of the year I work 70 hours a week and times I work 35 hours a week.

My associates, they get 10 days after one year, 14 days after two years, and 17 days after 5 years.

For the most part, I can take as much time as I want as long as performance meets my owners and franchise standards.

I signed a contract that said 2 weeks, but it doesn't matter because we don't track it. Eight of us, working for each other basically by sharing revenue, so nobody wants to take so many days that it means they are not contributing. Probably took ten days last year, maybe Take 12 this year.

I never really took "vacation" because there was never a day I didn't work, but, I was always the "boss", and as long as I made the big dollar deals happen for my clients, no one cared if I went hunting for a Tuesday afternoon, or every afternoon, or if I worked out of my MH for a few weeks while traveling somewhere to hunt.  In fact, I think my employees were generally glad when I wasn't around.  I kinda worked all the time AND played all the time.  My work was more of a lifestyle than an 8-5 "job".  I'd be working at 6:00 AM on Sunday and hunting at 3:00 PM on Weds, or whatever.  

Don't get me wrong - I worked plenty.  I'd often average 70 hours week working, but many of those were at non-traditional times and when I wasn't working, I was playing.

These days, I'm mostly retired.  My intention was to completely retire two years ago.  I didn't retire because I hated my work - I retired because I had enough money and I wanted to travel and hunt full-time.  Since it has turned out that I'm housebound 24/7 and can't travel or do any of the things I wanted to do anyway as a result of my nursemaid duties, I figured I might as well do some work, so I do work for a few clients I like on matters I find interesting.  It helps pass the miserable nursemaid time and I make a few bux, too boot, so I haven't needed to draw a penny out of my retirement accounts as yet.  Still, I don't let working get in the way of the hunting I can do.  

Life's too short to work when you could be hunting.

Fire Marshal Bill
52 weeks, I'm retired. But still don't get to hunt and fish as much as I would like to.....There is ALWAYS a "ta-do" list!!
About 6 weeks where I take the full week off.  My office is also closed on Fridays all summer long so I get plenty of 3 day weekends. Tough to beat this arrangement and I work with a great bunch of people.  Once our state legislature begins their session (early January) I don't take a vacation day until they adjourn in May.  This works out nicely since I couldn't care about winter sports and my free time kicks in for Summer and Fall.
Self employed for 42 years in the same job. Never really counted the days off but would guess about 3 months. Mostly a day here and there and the longest stretch in the dead of winter. Fortunately I like to ice fish. Most of my hunting time is a few hours in the morning or evening and then back to work. Partial retirement coming this winter.

None in a row! Self employed, so If I'm not working there's no money coming in. Transporting dogs all around the country has benefits....I get to hunt and fish in several states every year.'I guess that could be called a "Working vacation."

Ken  :blues: Bluegrass