Vacation = How Much?

Tiger MT's Carter

Well until I got laid off a few weeks ago I had 3 weeks of vacation. I am looking for a new job and I will be hoping for at least 3 weeks at the new gig.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Briarscratch

• Ted Moore

• Stuck in KS

• 2shot

I get five weeks.  Four on account of being here 6 years, and then everyone gets that additional week between Christmas and New Year's.
I get 27 days vacation plus sick time. Typically I do 10 days non-hunting vacation, 10 days hunting vacation and 7 days split up into long week-ends as needed.

Wow.  What ever happened to the standard 2 weeks per year?  We as a country don't seem to work much near as much as we used to.  Not that I find that surprising...

I worked 15 years to get a third week of vacation.  Next year makes a quarter century of service, so i'll get a fourth week.

I'm guessing that most people don't stay with a single employer for that long, and vacation is just one more thing that's negotiable when interviewing for a position.
Wow.  What ever happened to the standard 2 weeks per year?  We as a country don't seem to work much near as much as we used to.  Not that I find that surprising...

I worked 15 years to get a third week of vacation.  Next year makes a quarter century of service, so i'll get a fourth week.

Last I checked we were still the most productive country in the world.

WI Outdoor Nut

Days vacation = none.  Work deferment, that is a different story.  I am a specialty engineer for my company and no one else can do my work.  Therefore, when I am gone, my work is stagnet, unless I bring it with me.  I often use my smartphone to take care of the necessary items so I am not buried when I get back.  

With that being said, just started with a new company.  I have 3 weeks PTO, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and Friday afternoons off (if you can make it work, which has only been about 1/2 this past summer).  My job is flexible (working from home today) and no set hours.  But I will also be in for testing on 2nd and 3rd shifts from time to time.  It all works out and I love what I do - so it really isn't work.

I just left a company that provided me with 6 weeks PTO, plus 2 personal days and 12 holidays.  Never had a chance to use it all

I get 160 hours paid time off per year, use it however you want, vacation, sick, etc...

we can carry over some limited amount that has to be used by end of Q1

2 weeks a year isn't enough for human beings to have a life.  It also forces people to lie about being sick when they're not.

I just spent the last 20 months working for a UK firm - 20 days PTO, bank holidays, week between Christmas and New Year's off.  The only trouble was that I was working 10-11 hour days not counting being responsive during off hours.  Sorry, but I don't find my job interesting or stimulating enough to spend that much time doing it.  The exception being assignments where you have to do what's necessary to close the deal. At this point I need the 4 weeks so I can strike a fair balance between family and work.  

Now I'm in the process of joining a new firm.  I don't know what their policies are yet.  It's a small company and I'll be working from my home office 75% of the time.  I've done this before, but it's not my preference.   It's really hard not having a transition time between work and home.  Despite what some may think, anytime playing with the dogs or cleaning shotguns is offset by that friggin' puritanical guilt of not being 100% focused on making the donuts.

That hasn't been the standard around here since the 1970's. The industry norm seems to be 2 weeks for the first five years, 3 weeks after 5, 4 weeks after 10 or 15 and 5 weeks after 15 or 20. Some get 6 weeks after 25. Where I work it's 2 weeks for the first three, 3 weeks after 3, 4 weeks after 10 and 5 weeks after 20.

Now I'm in the process of joining a new firm.  

look at you, making moves, sounds like we need to catch up again

Now I'm in the process of joining a new firm.  

look at you, making moves, sounds like we need to catch up again

At this point I'm ready to be a flag man on a road crew.  Less stress, normal schedule....

:D

The only trouble was that I was working 10-11 hour days

Only 10-11 hours a day? That would be like a vacation in itself. 15-18 a day is the norm these days.

W/C C

Last I checked we were still the most productive country in the world.

Where did you check?  Not sarcasm, just wondering what that list looks like.

My googling has the US as high as third and as low as seventh using different parameters.