• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Briarscratch

• Ted Moore

• Stuck in KS

• 2shot

The only trouble was that I was working 10-11 hour days

Only 10-11 hours a day? That would be like a vacation in itself. 15-18 a day is the norm these days.

W/C C

What the hell are you actually doing for those 15-18 hours a day?  When do you eat, sleep or poop?

Wow.  What ever happened to the standard 2 weeks per year?  We as a country don't seem to work much near as much as we used to.  Not that I find that surprising...

I worked 15 years to get a third week of vacation.  Next year makes a quarter century of service, so i'll get a fourth week.

Last I checked we were still the most productive country in the world.

Where did you check?  Not sarcasm, just wondering what that list looks like.

My googling has the US as high as third and as low as seventh using different parameters.

"Last check" was more than a year ago for an MBA paper.  Don't have the reference handy.  

The point being that some companies are learning that an employee with more than 2 weeks vacation is more productive throughout the year, and that work-life balance is essential for a happy, productive employee.

Banjo helps on days without money...but...money no help on days without banjo.

My philosophy has been to try to get by on as little money as possible.  My wife has not been totally cooperative with this but I truely believe that time with family, friends, and good dogs is what we should live for.

I feel bad that our country might lack in productivity but I don't believe that long hours are neccesarily productive hours.  We have to work smarter, not harder.

Only 10-11 hours a day? That would be like a vacation in itself. 15-18 a day is the norm these days.

W/C C

What the hell are you actually doing for those 15-18 hours a day?  When do you eat, sleep or poop?

Writing up appraisals and inspecting houses. I've only got 9 in my pile of need to be written (they each take 3-6 hours depending on complexity). But I am inspecting 5 more houses tomorrow, so then I'll be back up to around 15 that need to be written.

I go to the bathroom in the morning and I eat lunch at my computer, and sometimes dinner. I sleep usually from 12:30 or 1 till about 6. It sucks.

W/C C

I truely believe that time with family, friends, and good dogs is what we should live for.

I feel bad that our country might lack in productivity but I don't believe that long hours are neccesarily productive hours.  We have to work smarter, not harder.

Amen to that! I read a book a few years back. The author had work as a counselor when he was younger counseling dying people, most elderly. Part of his program involved working through regrets in life. He said that in the two years he did this not one person said, "I wish I would have worked more...".

W/C C

Writing up appraisals and inspecting houses. I've only got 9 in my pile of need to be written (they each take 3-6 hours depending on complexity). But I am inspecting 5 more houses tomorrow, so then I'll be back up to around 15 that need to be written.

I go to the bathroom in the morning and I eat lunch at my computer, and sometimes dinner. I sleep usually from 12:30 or 1 till about 6. It sucks.

W/C C

Well, you're a hard working mofo and you're doing it on your own.  Not to mention you're the WC/C

RESPECT.

I get 2 weeks (10 days).  I started taking Fridays off during November and December for my vacation days giving me about a dozen 3 day weekends in a row.  Taking the Friday after Thanksgiving off gives me a 4 day weekend in the middle and it is a freebee.

I get 4 weeks vacation, 4 personal days, and 15 sick days a year that accumulate.

Our vacation is given in 2 week blocks, but our work week is a little different, so when I get a vacation it is actually 20 days.

We can also swap tours. I work for you, you work for me type arrangements. That allows us to bank the owed tours. This is a great arrangement, so it is a no cost item. If I swap one 24 hour shift I can have 7 days off. It allows me to hunt a lot. In fact it looks like I'll be taking the second half of October, and the first half of November off this year.  :D

I get 4 weeks vacation, 4 personal days, and 15 sick days a year that accumulate.

Our vacation is given in 2 week blocks, but our work week is a little different, so when I get a vacation it is actually 20 days.

We can also swap tours. I work for you, you work for me type arrangements. That allows us to bank the owed tours. This is a great arrangement, so it is a no cost item. If I swap one 24 hour shift I can have 7 days off. It allows me to hunt a lot. In fact it looks like I'll be taking the second half of October, and the first half of November off this year.  :D

:oh:  :oh: ......................... :glare:  :glare:  

when I retired a little over 2 years ago..  we got paid every-other week and I would be credited 12.5hrs every-other week.  we were allowed to carry 560 hours and we were allowed to sell back 80hrs the first of june and first of dec every year if it didn't take us below 100hrs. when I retired I cashed out 546hrs. I would take every Fri off between Memorial day and Labor day just to stay below the 560 max.