REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
insanelupus

Cookin' Bear

insanelupus

I've kept the hams from my bear and have decided to fix them myself.  Figured I'd brine the ham, then smoke it in my Luhr Jensen for about 3-4 hours with hickory (after putting on a nice rub) and afterwards toss it on my grill and finish cooking it through to about 165 degrees.  Any other advice?

I'm also in search of a dijon pork recipe (subsituting the bear for pork) for the tenderloins.

SamOtterKronk
I haven't cooked a ton of bear meat but one thing I liked to do with roasts was to insert slices of garlic deep into the meat.  One could also inject merinade into the meat with a syringe.  The way you are planning sounds great to me.  My only suggestion is to make sure as much of the fat is removed as possible.  It seems that is where a number of people go wrong and end up not enjoying thier hard earned  harvest.  Hope yop enjoy, Bear meat is good!

Hub
I treat bear meat like beef.  If the bear was taken care of properly in the field you will be hard pressed to know what it is.  I typicaly cut a few roast, the loins and backstraps for the grill, and then grind the rest.  Bear ribs are great!  The fat isn't nasty like a whitetail.

Ben Hong
Just cook it through. Omnivorous as they are they are plagued with the same parasite problems that free foraging pigs have, trichinosis. Real bad stuff. I enjoy bear.