Sign in to follow this  
bigjohnsd

Gun_It With Benny Spies canceled - Bummer

jdt1982
I am disappointed to hear that it is being canceled. It is truly a unique show versus the other “package” hunt shows. He should have gotten a hot wife to be on the show or had a hunt with one of his celebrity friends; the show would have probably lasted longer.

Brad Eden
Chances are if the ratings are decent another network will pick it up. versus, Outdoor etc. I liked the unapologetic irreverence of that show. A breath of fresh air really. The drag racing with the old RV "toaster" was always a riot. Plus the people he hunted with and his friends were real folks not outdoor celebs.

grouseandtater
Never watched Benny, but I always liked Cabela's Amercan Gundog, Harley looked like he was doing the real thing and not some canned preserve hunts like most of the bird hunting shows end up doing. Does anyone know if it still comes on or not?

charlie
Never watched Benny, but I always liked Cabela's Amercan Gundog, Harley looked like he was doing the real thing and not some canned preserve hunts like most of the bird hunting shows end up doing. Does anyone know if it still comes on or not?

they didn't shoot this past year.  he is expecting it to come back again.  It has been on an every other year or so basis for a while now.

strato-caster

My favorite part of the show is how honestly hunting is represented and portrayed on Benny's series...

On more that one episode, the fellas were skunked, game was nowhere to be seen, decoys didn't draw the birds, shots were missed outright. Seldom does Benny make excuses, he just picked up and moved on like the rest of us do.

And he HUNTED (emphasis on capitals) too- long walks through barren land, hands and knees on the ground stalks, and 3 a.m. decoy sets in the mud and snow. Lots of fast food on the road, opportunistic lunches at the greasy spoon eateries, and less than stellar accommodations we can all relate too. I am sure his makeshift hunting vehicles struck a chord with more than a few viewers, too. And the focus on friendship, family, and the comraderie of the hunt, always surrounded by lots and lots of old friends (and some new ones, too) and hometown buddies that share the same passion.

What is happily absent to me are the "business as usual" baited fields surrounded by strategically built blinds, 100% success rates on deer that are grown, fed and watered like carrots to be "harvested" later in the season, and the idiotic whispering in the blind after the deer that was just summarily executed is deader than a door nail. And let's forget about all the the high fiving, fist pumping antics of a canned "kill", that had no "hunt" to it at all...

While Benny's show has its sponsors, you wouldn't know by watching. His Winnebago is not wallpapered with Browning Buckmark or Mossy Oak decals, no Bill Dance "This is what I use (at least for the remainder of this television season, because they pay me really, really well...) style of pimping of products ad nauseum, no bleach blonde babes in pink RealTree Camo singing their siren song disguised by their charming Georgia accents. Better yet, Benny made no mention of ceremonial bathing in "Doe on the Rag" urine and poop.

And then there was the "Surprise!" element we can all relate too- like the episode where Benny is sitting on a spread of duck decoys, but he gets opportunities at geese, sandhill crane, and even a pheasant. Or how about the "Holy $hit!" moment when Benny is taken into a river gorge in Idaho by boat, only to realize that the wild chukar he is supposed to hunt for the first time are a thousand feet above him in the rimrock. After he climbs all morning, he gets his one and only chukar of the day, but is happy as a clam because he has succeeded when the going was rough...

It is because of these moments I believe the show will be sorely missed (if indeed it has been cancelled) by many, myself included.

North Dakota Hntr
I liked the unapologetic irreverence of that show. A breath of fresh air really. The drag racing with the old RV "toaster" was always a riot. Plus the people he hunted with and his friends were real folks not outdoor celebs.

X2!

Craig

Checo
Well said Strat.  That's too bad about his show.  I enjoyed it.

Chris Raymond
I say good riddance and I'm about as irreverent as they come while still being only somewhat polite.

ThomGordon
Benny who???

UplandHntr
so if it wasnt ratings, why was it cancelled?

wkburns
I'm glad, I thought it sucked.

browndog

I wasn't thrilled that in the early episodes he did the "hooligan" bit, jumping out of the Winnie and shooting up signs and cans and bottles ... and making a big deal of making sure they had plenty of beer in the cooler...  clowning around in the western wear outfitter store.. drag racing the moho or ripping it off road

Just didn't show me a respect for the sport, the game, the land or equipment that I'd like to present as a "sportsman/hunter" to the general public.

I don't think I'd like him as a hunting partner..

crmartin
if you take life seriously you missed the whole point.

gonehuntin
I'm glad, I thought it sucked.

+1. Worst hunting show on TV.