REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
uplandchessies

Woodcock mounts.

uplandchessies

I took a woodcock in to the taxidermist last week since it was a nice, lightly hit bird and to have Storm's first mount of her career added to my case. I'm currently going with the bird pulling a worm position, but have time to change my mind. Thought I'd see how others have their mounts for reference.

Thanks.

Spin
What can be a big help is to bring in an extra bird. Extra feathers, or a wing etc. can be a big boost twords a top flight mount. I understand that woodcock can be a real bear due to the oily, tissue thin skin.

Tango2

Very much looking forward to seeing a few mounts.  

I kept two of my woodcock fm this past season to get mounted since I suspect this could be my Pointer's last year...he's almost 15 1/2 and is still hunting. The eyes are a bit cloudy, the hearing has dwindled, a lot of his lemon colouring has faded...but his heart is still as strong as ever.  Only hunt him for about 2-2 1/2 hrs per outing but still hard to imagine that this is likely the last year for him.

Cheers,

T2

mike campbell
" ...the bird pulling a worm position... "

You've seen such a mount?

I thought of it on my own ( I think), not having seen or heard of one. Seemed a neat idea since I alreday had one mounted in flight.

Gathered up a bunch of bright yellow birch leaves for the groundcover, bought some smallish rubber worms and delivered with 2 minty woodcock to a taxidermist.

Six months later, I received an apology in return.

I have a beautiful bird with abnormal white primaries in the freezer, the last woodcock I'll ever shoot, and I'm afraid to entrust it to a taxidermist.

ramlinwillie
Here's as far as my mount got, goes to the Department of Wildlife tomorrow.

post-3-23047-IMAG0654__1_.jpg.d538a5db31

uplandchessies
" ...the bird pulling a worm position... "

You've seen such a mount?

I thought of it on my own ( I think), not having seen or heard of one. Seemed a neat idea since I alreday had one mounted in flight.

Gathered up a bunch of bright yellow birch leaves for the groundcover, bought some smallish rubber worms and delivered with 2 minty woodcock to a taxidermist.

Six months later, I received an apology in return.

I have a beautiful bird with abnormal white primaries in the freezer, the last woodcock I'll ever shoot, and I'm afraid to entrust it to a taxidermist.

I have a snipe I shot in 2001 going for a worm laying on a leaf that turned out fantastic. Thought a woodcock pulling a worm from the ground would look good. My taxidermist actually made the worm for my snipe mount. It's probably my favorite mount and only took 18 days to get it back.

uplandchessies
Here's as far as my mount got, goes to the Department of Wildlife tomorrow.

I read about it. Sorry to hear.

mike campbell

In my minds eye, this is what I see when I think of woodcock.

Woodcock20Twosome_zps77d33079.jpg

I had my first mounted in a similar pose about 20 years ago by a national champion turkey taxidermist who had never done a woodcock before.

wc3JPG.jpg

Fins and Feathers
This was the 1st woodcock that my taxidermist had ever done. I provided 2 birds.  Said it was hard to work with and compared it to working with wet toilet paper.

post-3-61408-Feb_7_054.jpg.9203b7779af05

Cooter Brown
Mike, if you swing back by the post I'd like to see a picture of that unusually colored bird you've got, if you happened to take a pic of it.  I've never seen anything like that.

uplandchessies

A couple quick cell pics, but here's my snipe.

1217121220_zps8e06580b.jpg

1217121223_zpsee349d19.jpg

Don Steese
In my minds eye, this is what I see when I think of woodcock.

Woodcock20Twosome_zps77d33079.jpg

I had my first mounted in a similar pose about 20 years ago by a national champion turkey taxidermist who had never done a woodcock before.

wc3JPG.jpg

I know the artist that did that painting. He's a PA guy and one of the better wildlife artists around.

Becassier

Here's one that my oldest son took few years ago to fill his limit on Christmas Eve during a torrential thunderstorm.

A memorable hunt...

woodcockmount2.jpg

woodcockmount1.jpg

mike campbell

I like the snipe a lot.

What I had in mind was the bird pulling the worm from the ground...some tension, struggle, drama, something like this

robin-with-worm_1090472_zps030e55cd.jpg

I even pictured making the worm glisten, as they do, and maybe with a few coffee grounds to simylate dirt attached to it. What prompted me most was a converstation I had with a taxidermist about competition. He described a winning mount he had seen with 2 birds fighting over a worm. Each had an end of the worm in its mouth. One was laying on its back and the other was airborn above it. the worm was stretched taught as a wire and was the only thing supporting the upper bird. Sounded awesome.

I posted this pic in the 2011 season. I have the photograph so I suppose I could risk losing the bird and probably should pretty soon.

500pix_zps7e1f6100.jpg