If You Could Live Anywhere

greypartridge

Walker MN for me.  14 years of work left.

How do you stand that town in the summer?  Fun to visit but I just can't stand the citidiots anymore than I have to, and that town right there is full of them.  

I don't know about winters, but the summers I spent near Cor De Alene Idaho make me wish I had moved there years ago.  Most beautiful city in America in my opinion.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greypartridge

• john mcg

• Peent

• idcut

Same way i tolerate it now, i dont go to town, live just outside it.  plan on living on leech, just had to give the nearest town name.  I would go farther north but id have to divorce to wife to make that happend.  leech lake is a good compromise she loves the city life.
Same way i tolerate it now, i dont go to town, live just outside it.  plan on living on leech, just had to give the nearest town name.  I would go farther north but id have to divorce to wife to make that happend.  leech lake is a good compromise she loves the city life.

Yes leach lake is a beautiful body of water.

I'd have to say in a small town just east of Billings, MT.  Close to good trout fishing, Sask., ND, SD, and WY.  I've lived in Alaska so the winters wouldn't be too much of a bother.

Peent,

I live in Post Falls, work in Coeur d' Alene, 5 miles to the east. It's a nice place. Great summers and the winters are usually fairly mild. We can get a ton of snow, and the spring and fall weather can be a bit wet.

As far as the hunting goes, plenty of forest grouse in the mtns around here and not too far of a drive for quail, chukar, pheasants, huns, etc.

The big game, particularly the elk have taken a hit from the wolves, but it is still decent. Of course there is bear and mtn lion if one hunts those.

What can I saw about the fishing? Plenty of bass, pike, crappie and other pan fish. Blueback chinook and smallmouth in CDA lake and of course there is Priest and Pend Oreille lakes within a short drive, the Clearwater and Snake for steelhead and salmon. Blue Ribbon trout streams nearby, Lake Roosevelt in WA for walleye, with the Clarkfork and Bitteroot in MT a few short hours away. If one wants to hunt waterfowl, which can be good in the area, it's but a short drive to Canada.

I guess it really doesn't get much better anywhere for the variety of hunting and fishing activities.

Oh yea, and don't worry about your spelling of Coeur d'Alene, it took me a few tries to get both the CDA and Pend Oreille spellings correct, and I still sometimes transpose the "o" and the "e" in Coeur.  :)

This topic comes up frequently and there are several threads on it floating around.  For me it is Dayton, WA; Salmon, ID; Las Vegas, NM; and Snowville, UT.
I've got to tell you.. I've lived a lot of places in my life, I'm not sure I want to be anyplace other than coastal new england.... north of Boston, mass or Nh..... great saltwater fishing.. great freshwater... deer all over... grouse and woodcock  in big numbers... plenty of access to millions of acres easily within 2-4 hours..... great east coast skiing, lots of hiking...bla bla bla .....

All true based upon my 3 years in Hingham, MA 25 years ago, except I'm figuratively reminded of the famous Jaws scene when the sheriff is chumming off the trawler and the shark lunges out . . . . "gonna need a bigger wallet!".

everything inside 495 is like living in a borough  of Boston.... We've got woods, farms ect where I'm at.... wages are reasonable, if you pick the right place , housing is affordable, relative to wages

Peent,

I live in Post Falls, work in Coeur d' Alene, 5 miles to the east. It's a nice place. Great summers and the winters are usually fairly mild. We can get a ton of snow, and the spring and fall weather can be a bit wet.

As far as the hunting goes, plenty of forest grouse in the mtns around here and not too far of a drive for quail, chukar, pheasants, huns, etc.

The big game, particularly the elk have taken a hit from the wolves, but it is still decent. Of course there is bear and mtn lion if one hunts those.

What can I saw about the fishing? Plenty of bass, pike, crappie and other pan fish. Blueback chinook and smallmouth in CDA lake and of course there is Priest and Pend Oreille lakes within a short drive, the Clearwater and Snake for steelhead and salmon. Blue Ribbon trout streams nearby, Lake Roosevelt in WA for walleye, with the Clarkfork and Bitteroot in MT a few short hours away. If one wants to hunt waterfowl, which can be good in the area, it's but a short drive to Canada.

I guess it really doesn't get much better anywhere for the variety of hunting and fishing activities.

Oh yea, and don't worry about your spelling of Coeur d'Alene, it took me a few tries to get both the CDA and Pend Oreille spellings correct, and I still sometimes transpose the "o" and the "e" in Coeur.  :)

When we were out there we tried to find out what the name meant, best we could come up with was "heart of Arlene"  

I worked as a timber cruiser up there, from East Port to Avery and after that into Montana, north and South of De Borgia.

"Coeur d'Alene" is the name the French fur traders gave to the natives in the area, they traded furs and other goods with. It means "Heart of an Awl." The French gave them this name, as history records, because the CDA's were very shrewd traders.

Avery and up the river to Red Ives is a favorite place of mine.

"Coeur d'Alene" is the name the French fur traders gave to the natives in the area, they traded furs and other goods with. It means "Heart of an Awl." The French gave them this name, as history records, because the CDA's were very shrewd traders.

Avery and up the river to Red Ives is a favorite place of mine.

The St. Joe, and Moon Pass, I remember that road.  I also remember all the bear in that country.  I would see several bears a day it seemed.  Huckleberrys, fall hornets, scree slopes, bear grass, devils club, Menzies, western larch, sub-alpine fir, whitebark pine, pounders, (Ranier),  these are the things that come to mind when I think of that country now.  I need to go back and look around, this was over 20 years ago.

" vibrant stable economy" and "exceptional recreation"

Pick one. Getting both simultaneously is tough. My best shot would be think about Boise and prepare to drive.

Washington and Oregon have serious budget shortfalls. Wyoming has a shortage of high paying jobs outside of petro chem. Montana is a bit better on employment, but both states depend heavily on minerals and /or  ag. for most of their revenue.

Utah is worth a look: birds, fly fishing, jobs and big game.

In general, the people who move to MT, WY, ID  and rural OR or WA understand the hit their income will take, but make that choice for the life style. ( I did and never regretted it.)

January 1-April 30 Andros Island the Bahamas: Bonefish!!

May 1-June 5 Pennsylvania: Family and Dry Fly Fishing

June 6-December 30 Millinocket, Me: Salmon, Brookies, Doodles n' Grouse!

Now if I can only hit the lottery.  Oh by the way if your a UJ member a bed will always be ready for you!

Why limit yourself to the US? The wife and I are looking at Argentina pretty hard. It will be a working retirement as we will be buying a vineyard. Cheap cost of living, great weather (think N. California), doves and perdiz for hunting, good fishing. Safe, great medical, US trained doctors etc. There are a million good reasons.

Living abroad has a lot to recommend it, however you've really got to do your homework, as you've apparently done. I think I'd also want to rent for a while before I decided on a specific location. A lot of Americans won't even consider it for a millisecond though.

Near, but no in, Billings, Montana. Great fly fishing, duck hunting, upland and elk all within a short strike of there.

Webster, SD would be a second pick. Fabulous waterfowl and upland, not sure what I'd fly fish for though. Looks like it would, or should, be good bass fishing around there.