If You Could Live Anywhere

greypartridge

If you want to go live abroad New Zealand is the place guys, BUT I AM BIASED :D

No "non resident licence fees" we are all the same.

One licence fee enables you to hunt / fish depending on the licence over the whole country.

No licence required to hunt Canada Geese, can hunt them 24 hours a day any method and this includes with a rifle from a distance (dont agree with this bit) because they are clasified as "pests" not "Gamebirds" :(

No snakes or other creepy crawlies to hurt you or your dogs.

No limits on numbers of deer you can take in a season.

Reasonable limits on most gambirds depending on the region.

We all speak the same language.

Health care is pretty good but make sure you have travel insurance if you are not a citizen or do not hold a "residents permit"

Its a Great place, but no you cannot carry a firearm here on your person for defense purposes and using one for defence would mean a lot of court time proving your inocence.

Handguns only to be used on approved ranges.

All users must hold a "Firearms Licence" no big deal. If you show your CCW or similar at the border you will get one issued provided you can show you have made arrangements to store you guns safely while here

However AR15s are considered / licenced here in a special catagory (MSSA) so if you bring one make sure it has only 7 round mags with it, no evil bayonet lug or "telecoping stock"  (whatever the hell that is) and and aftermarket pistol grip ( I kid you not apparently they are less dangerous than the origional hard plastic military one) Security requirements are different for these too.

Only downside is the wages / salaries here are not high by western standards. I am a Marine Electronics Technician and making in the Mid - Lat 40K in USD.

Most employers don't pay benefits like health care either.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greypartridge

• john mcg

• Peent

• idcut

Chris Raymond

Why limit yourself to the US? The wife and I are looking at Argentina pretty hard. It will be a working retirement as we will be buying a vineyard. Cheap cost of living, great weather (think N. California), doves and perdiz for hunting, good fishing. Safe, great medical, US trained doctors etc. There are a million good reasons.

And one must not forget good old Germen effeciency.

If I'm not living in Traverse City, MI at the time, I would also consider MN with strong leanings to Argentina and New Zealand as well...the latter would depend upon whether whether and which family were still alive or not I suspect.

I'd like to chime in on this conversation, but reality suggests musing about where I'd like to be is an exercise in futility. I am where I am for a host of reasons and have come to accept I'll likely be here until I die; and it's not a bad place to be for ready access to the things I like to do most.
Peent,

I live in Post Falls, work in Coeur d' Alene, 5 miles to the east. It's a nice place. Great summers and the winters are usually fairly mild. We can get a ton of snow, and the spring and fall weather can be a bit wet.

As far as the hunting goes, plenty of forest grouse in the mtns around here and not too far of a drive for quail, chukar, pheasants, huns, etc.

The big game, particularly the elk have taken a hit from the wolves, but it is still decent. Of course there is bear and mtn lion if one hunts those.

What can I saw about the fishing? Plenty of bass, pike, crappie and other pan fish. Blueback chinook and smallmouth in CDA lake and of course there is Priest and Pend Oreille lakes within a short drive, the Clearwater and Snake for steelhead and salmon. Blue Ribbon trout streams nearby, Lake Roosevelt in WA for walleye, with the Clarkfork and Bitteroot in MT a few short hours away. If one wants to hunt waterfowl, which can be good in the area, it's but a short drive to Canada.

I guess it really doesn't get much better anywhere for the variety of hunting and fishing activities.

Oh yea, and don't worry about your spelling of Coeur d'Alene, it took me a few tries to get both the CDA and Pend Oreille spellings correct, and I still sometimes transpose the "o" and the "e" in Coeur.  :)

I moved out west in 1997 from Ohio. First stop was Montana, great place to live from after the spring runoff was over till about Dec. 1st. can be brutal weather-wise in winter and early spring, weeks where it's hard to hunt or fish. In my opinion Montana is way overrated as a place to live, visit yes, live, no way.

Next stop was Liberty Lake Washington, 5 miles west of Post Falls Id. Spokane County has some of the best trout fishing lakes in the west, can have fair to great forest grouse, quail, hun, and pheasant hunting depending on the spring weather and cycles. Pretty good duck and goose hunting very good turkey hunting. idcut already let you know about the Idaho side.

My wife's job took her to Bend Oregon in June of 2011. Outdoor Life said Bend was the #1 town for Sportsmen in May 2011 issue.

Bend is a great place to live, very clean, nice people, a beautiful town, you can fish for wild trout 12 months out of the year with in 30 miles of town, fish for steelhead 40 miles north of town on the Deschutes River, good lakes with in 1 hour of town, great skiing, and kayaking, I can elk and deer hunt with in 45 mins. of my home, not great hunting but I can do it. Very poor bird hunting close to town. The good bird hunting, which can be very good is 2 to 4 hours away.

For 11 years I've spent my summers and early fall in Wyoming or Northern New Mexico guiding fly fisherman, and deer and elk hunters. Both places are like Montana, nice places to visit but.....

That said I would move back to eastern Washington in a heart beat. In my opinion of the places I've lived hunted and fished it's at the top of the list.

Just my opinion.

For me, any definition of the "best place to live" would have to include good elk hunting as well as good bird hunting.  I am not sure such a place exists, though.
Two areas in my 'would be great' column are the Missoula area and Boise.

Upland and Flyfishing all around.

I'll go with you ...  might cross into OR on occasion  :D

LostintheOzone
Even geese are smart enough to folllow the weather, ID in the summer and fall AZ in the winter sounds good to me

And that is why you need to be able to move when the weather doesn't suit your clothes.

afti.jpg

Easy

Southern idaho

Lot of people in S. Id. Jack. Not as easy to find great hunting as you may think. Was once though.

Had a Kennel and guiding operation in Declo for a number of years.

I'm pretty happy right here in little ol' Payson, Utah. The hunting and fishing nearby is decent.

If I had to move I think I could be happy in Idaho.

Easy

Southern idaho

Lot of people in S. Id. Jack. Not as easy to find great hunting as you may think. Was once though.

Had a Kennel and guiding operation in Declo for a number of years.

I've been heading out there now for three years straight, more blm land than a guy, could ever use, more variety of upland game birds than anywhere in north America. Not sure a few people in Boise , would deter me from moving there, but as always, different strokes for different folks

Tell me where else I could shoot a Hun,phez,  quail, chuckar, ruffed grouse, and blue grouse in two days of hunting?