REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Hillhaven09

Books

toomeymd
x3 Bernard Cornwell. Simple, quick reading but very satisfying.

Ben Hong
Google Guy deLaValdene and get any or all three of his well written books on birds and the bird hunting life.

DennisMcFeely
Google Guy deLaValdene and get any or all three of his well written books on birds and the bird hunting life.

Yes, especially "For a Handful of Feathers".

Hillhaven09
its non upland but I just got sucked into "a game of thrones" its pretty good for fantasy.

"a tattered autumn sky" by tom davis should be in every bird hunters library. unless you are of strong constitution I would recommend reading it during hunting season or right before; it will get you jonesing pretty bad.

"the wild marsh" by Rick Bass is a fantastic read. I hate to compare, but it has strong tones of " a sand county almanac" not so much a book of hunting but a book for hunter/naturalists.

"the wild ones" by john D Taylor. this is getting stoked for an upland road trip reading. guaranteed to cure post season depression... or to cause it.

if you want to jump into the way back machine "the upland shooting life" by GBE is a good one. its pretty cool how he delves into all the different facets of upland hunting. even hunting partner profiles and a little psychology.

much of its pretty dated but you will also find in this book that many parts of upland hunting never change.

I ordered the GBE book and have already read the game of thrones series twice, waotong on the sixth book. If you like fantasy check out Patrick Rothfuss and the kingslayer chronicles. They are fantastic

WV Setters
"Jenny Willow" by Mike Gaddis....if you get into another reading mood...

ScottGrush
"Jenny Willow" by Mike Gaddis....if you get into another reading mood...

And if you are thinking of becoming a field trialer with your next run-off .....Zip-Zap by Gaddis was entertaining.

Kansas Big Dog

I am reading "New England Grouse Shooting" by William Harnden Foster

There is a passage in the book that has some resemblance:

"Irresponsible, shiftless if you must, he was the lovable character who planned his future a day at a time, who had the instincts of an Indian and soul of a poet.  Dressed like a tramp he would roam the covers all through the gunning season and look for a job only when it was over........But of all the pa'tridge gunning companions he was apt to be the best for he got more out of it than most."

MTRookie76
its non upland but I just got sucked into "a game of thrones" its pretty good for fantasy.

Agreed. I just finished book 5, very much looking forward to #6 when it comes out. The show on HBO is every bit as good as the books, if you have not started watching it you should.

Brad Eden

Not really upland related but anything by Jim Harrison, I am still on a Harrison marathon reading binge. Have read 3-4 in a row and just finished True North and just started The Road Home. He is a hard core bird hunter and although his novels and books aren't upland focused he manages to sneak in some bird hunting and birddog stuff.

I could list a slew of upland books but my library is in storage while we are renting so don't have exact titles at hand.

Salmo
Not all upland (some salmon stories, some trout and turkey and ducks), but I would recommend two books of short stories by Paul Hyde Bonner. They are "The Glorious Mornings" and "Aged in the Woods".  He also wrote several novels which included outdoorsy scenes and one, called "With Both Eyes Open" structured around grouse shooting in Scotland and quail shooting in South Carolina.  The novels are a bit hard going in places but WBEO gives a good idea how the 1% did things in the late '40's and early '50's.

Talon1

2 classics that are on my yearly reading list.

Robert Ruark's

The Old Man and the Boy and the Old Man's Boy Grows Older

Wildbird

X2 on Woolners books.  The one on woodcock hunting and he also wrote one on grouse hunting.  Similar in alot of ways but you should get both if you can.

Dennis Walrod's book on grouse hunting.

Furtmans book (Woodland Drummer) about grouse.

Agree on Woolner.

Ordering Walrod.

The Furtman book is great. Contact him though his website Michael Furtman. Prices on Amazon are higher than he charges.

Pomoxis

"a tattered autumn sky" by tom davis should be in every bird hunters library. unless you are of strong constitution I would recommend reading it during hunting season or right before; it will get you jonesing pretty bad.

"the wild marsh" by Rick Bass is a fantastic read. I hate to compare, but it has strong tones of " a sand county almanac" not so much a book of hunting but a book for hunter/naturalists.

"the wild ones" by john D Taylor. this is getting stoked for an upland road trip reading. guaranteed to cure post season depression... or to cause it.

if you want to jump into the way back machine "the upland shooting life" by GBE is a good one. its pretty cool how he delves into all the different facets of upland hunting. even hunting partner profiles and a little psychology.

much of its pretty dated but you will also find in this book that many parts of upland hunting never change.

I ordered the GBE book and have already read the game of thrones series twice, waotong on the sixth book. If you like fantasy check out Patrick Rothfuss and the kingslayer chronicles. They are fantastic

Those damned fantasy series will kill you waiting for the next damned book to be written. Game of Thrones is excellent.

Irish Joe
I have oft enjoyed the literary works of Theodor Geisel. A deep winter night with nature rampaging outside the cabin door, a crackling hardwood fire, a dram of fine spirits and a leather bound edition of Green Eggs and Ham. Life is complete.