Sign in to follow this  
Hillhaven09

Books

ckfowler180
Algonquin by Dion Henderson.

Bonasa

"Jenny Willow" by Mike Gaddis....if you get into another reading mood...

If you haven't read this yet, I consider "Jenny Willow" a must for the bird dog lover. All of Spiller's stuff, New England Grouse Shooting by WHF, Pa'tridge Shortenin by Grampa Grouse are all fun reads.

In the off season, I really like to read some reference material as well.  Churchill's "Gameshooting" is a good starting place.  

Excellent resource:

http://www.amazon.com/Orvis-G....om+deck

Wisconsin

Anything by Tapply, Hill, Smith, Davis, or Leopold.

Also the Nick Adams stories by Hemingway are good reads.

Ken

Not really upland related but anything by Jim Harrison, I am still on a Harrison marathon reading binge.

don't skip over his poetry collections. some outstanding stuff that will really stir the kool-aid of your mind... and I normally can't stomach much poetry.

NC Quailhunter

As was already said anything by Tom Word to include The Curmudgeons. The title also says Tales from South Georgia or something like that. I just finished it and really enjoyed it.

Also if you haven not read it yet Jenny Willow.

Just my opinion.

Craig Doherty

If we're talking Hemingway then you should read The Green Hills of Africa.  Edward Abbey is a Greenie bible but still great writing about the dilemmas facing the modern American West.  If you want to read dog stuff both Wehle books Wing and Shot and Snakefoot will give you plenty to think about.  

++ on both Mike Gaddis books.

There's a bunch of good field trial related books by a number of old timers:

Pointing Dogs -- Earl Crangle

The White Knight Story -- Hoyle Eaaton

Bird Dogs and Field Trials -- Jack Harper

Cov -- John Criswell

Fields of Glory -- Everett Skeehan

Field Trials -- William F. Brown

There are also a ton of training books all of which seem to have at least one useful suggestion in them -- some actually have quite a few good insights.

Brad Harter's video's of the National Championship are great viewing and I think there's about 25 years of them.

the Grand National Grouse collecting the write-ups of the first 50 Grand National Grouse Championships from The Field and published them in a bound volume and I would imagine you can still get one from Dave Fletcher in Michigan.

If you still need more I have all the back issues of Field Trial Magazine available and just sent a full set to Alex in Montana at a special UJer price.

If you need more suggestions let me know.

Remo

Kind of outdoor related, as far as weapons and their use, and a whopping good WW2 story in the South Pacific.

"SHOTS FIRED IN ANGER" by LT COL JOHN GEORGE

Buddy Knox

If you are looking for a good read...well written prose...and characters you want to get to know better, then I recommend just about anything by Larry McMurtry with "Lonesome Dove" being the first I'd recommend.

Once and long ago I had a chance to buy the collected works of Zane Gray, all his novels, in hardback.  They had never been read and were still wrapped in tissue in the original delivery carton.  I think I gave $50 for the whole shootin match...60 books or so if memory serves.    I arranged them all in order of the initial date of publication then I started reading.  I read them all, back to back, over a period of a couple of months.  It was a fascinating look into our past.  He wrote in the vernacular of the time using the social mores of the period as his plumb line.  I actually learned a lot about my parents since they grew up in an era that shared the same social mores...I understood better what made them tick.

Chubs

There's a bunch of good field trial related books by a number of old timers:

Pointing Dogs -- Earl Crangle

The White Knight Story -- Hoyle Eaton

Bird Dogs and Field Trials -- Jack Harper

Cov -- John Criswell

Fields of Glory -- Everett Skeehan

Field Trials -- William F. Brown

Craig, do you know where I can find a copy of that Hoyle Eaton book for less than $140? That's what it's going for online.

If anybody has a copy they'd let me borrow, I'd really appreciate it.

Briarscratch
If you are looking for a good read...well written prose...and characters you want to get to know better, then I recommend just about anything by Larry McMurtry with "Lonesome Dove" being the first I'd recommend.

X2

I read the Lonesome Dove series again this summer and it was just a good the second time.  McMurtry knows how to tell a yarn and his characters are great.

Hunshatt
I like books with lots of pictures.. of womez, scantily clad (or nekid) womenz... and gloss  glossy pictures.. I guess those are called magazines.. some of them have very good articles.. some of  the stories seem a little unbelievable though...  those guys claim to have adventures that are hardly possible ... almost like when GBJack claimed to have shot a grouse on the wing a few seasons ago... maybe he writes into those magazines with "real life" fantasy's as well

Point5

X2

I read the Lonesome Dove series again this summer and it was just a good the second time.  McMurtry knows how to tell a yarn and his characters are great.

Somewhat related; I'm reading The War on Powder River, a perspective on the Johnson County (Wy)range wars. Love it. Don't want to finish it.

Spin
Charley Waterman's "The Part I Remember" A collection of short storie, and a great read. Waterman was a great outdoor writer much in the same vein as Gene Hill. Put "The Part I Remember" and Hill's "Tailfeathers" both in your bookcase. You won't regret it.

Craig Doherty
If anybody has a copy they'd let me borrow, I'd really appreciate it.

PM your name and address and I'll mail you my copy as a loaner.

Fishnfowler

I'll add two obscure titles to the list:

Hunting the Edges by Richard Yatzek

Tales of the Chase by MH Salmon

They can be gotten cheap and are easy reads, yet are deep and complex.