Sign in to follow this  
Hillhaven09

Books

Beedog
Any hunter with even the slightest interest in conservation ought to read Aldo Leopold's "Sand County Almanac" for enjoyment as well as its philosophical and literary value. The version containing excerpts on conservation from a separate Leopold book, Round River, is even better.

Laminarman
I just read "A Season on the Allegheny".  Decent read.  I grew up in St. Marys, Pa and also spent some time in Marienville.  The Allegheny was literally my back yard for many years.

The author covers a year of hunting in the national forest and talks about the history of the forest, the local culture, and the battles between different political agendas in managing the resources of the forest.  Very interesting, to me anyway.  Others familiar to the area may enjoy it too.

Yo there Wet Dog, have you seen the reprint of "Pioneer Life, or Thirty Years of a Hunter" by Philip Tome?  Tome was apparently a prominent hunter in the Alleghenies (Pine Creek area? never heard of it) in the late 19th century.  It's from Stackpole.  It's in my "to read" pile and I knew a few others who've read it and really said it reads well.  I got it as a gift.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer....1733246

UplandHntr

Brown Feathers:  by Steven J. Mulak

Im about half way thru this one. Very easy read. Lots of 10-12 page short stories. Some make you laugh and some make you tear up but I think most of us can relate to all of them. Thx for the suggestion.

I was lucky to find one with a paper cover in great condition, not a library book, signed by the author for $13 dlvd!!

Laminarman

Im about half way thru this one. Very easy read. Lots of 10-12 page short stories. Some make you laugh and some make you tear up but I think most of us can relate to all of them. Thx for the suggestion.

I was lucky to find one with a paper cover in great condition, not a library book, signed by the author for $13 dlvd!!

I just finished his "Brief Upland Passage." That was a very slow read. I heard his others were better.

Wet Dog
I just read "A Season on the Allegheny".  Decent read.  I grew up in St. Marys, Pa and also spent some time in Marienville.  The Allegheny was literally my back yard for many years.

The author covers a year of hunting in the national forest and talks about the history of the forest, the local culture, and the battles between different political agendas in managing the resources of the forest.  Very interesting, to me anyway.  Others familiar to the area may enjoy it too.

Yo there Wet Dog, have you seen the reprint of "Pioneer Life, or Thirty Years of a Hunter" by Philip Tome?  Tome was apparently a prominent hunter in the Alleghenies (Pine Creek area? never heard of it) in the late 19th century.  It's from Stackpole.  It's in my "to read" pile and I knew a few others who've read it and really said it reads well.  I got it as a gift.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer....1733246

I believe the author mentions Tome.  He describes an area near Kinzua Dam that is one of the last primitive areas of the forest - no roads etc. He takes the readers on a doe hunt with a pennsylvania rifle and mentions walking in the footsteps of some of the early settlers, native americans, and great hunters  of the time. I think Tome is one of the those hunters that he mentions.

I haven't read Pioneer Life yet, but I definitely will.

quailguy

Hmmnnn.

"Shotgunning, The Art and The Science" by Bob Brister is one of the best guides to the technichana of shotgunning and shot shells.

"Best Guns" by Michael McIntosh is excellent.

"Vintage Guns" by Diggory Hadoke is a very good introduction to English guns.

Anything by Havilah Babcock is very good; I particularly enjoy "My Health Is Better In November". That man was a quail huntin' machine.

As for non outdoor related stuff...I read a lotta European history, politics and biography, which sane people steer clear of. But, I do rather enjoy Bernard Cornwell's books and have really enjoyed Patrick O'Brian's series on Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin--he got the geopolitics just about perfectly correct and C.S. Forester's series on Royal Navy Captain Hornblower is very good.

So far as more modern stuff goes, any of the military novels by WEB Griffen. That guy is a marvel.

UplandHntr
Google Guy deLaValdene and get any or all three of his well written books on birds and the bird hunting life.

why are these so expensive??

Jack L

Have you reached  the part about going camping with his dad and brother and the raccoon s?  It's laugh out loud funny.

Jack L
A Hunter's Road: A Journey with Gun and Dog Across the American Uplands by Jim Fergus;

I love that book. His story of road hunting with the grouse road hunter and the one arm sheriff are priceless.

landrover
A Gentleman's Shooting Dog...: Evolution of the Legendary Ryman Setter by John D. Taylor

landrover
Hunting the Whole Way Home by Sydney Lea, also Huns & Hun Hunting by Ben O. Williams.

landrover
The Best of Horatio Bigelow, My Gun Dogs by Ray Holland, also Scattered Shots by Max Hastings

Cooter Brown
Google Guy deLaValdene and get any or all three of his well written books on birds and the bird hunting life.

why are these so expensive??

Most of his stuff is out of print I think, and they were printed by small houses and not in great numbers.

Excellent stuff, highly regarded.  More demand than supply.  The people that have the books tend to hold onto them.

Bryan Lee

First off, anything by Gene Hill, especially "The Whispering Wings of Autumn.

Otherwise:

A Fall Of Woodcock, by Tom Huggler. A bit hard to find and a bit pricey but absolutely worth it!

Woodcock Shooting by Steve Smith.

Grouse & Woodcock in the Blackwater/Canaan by George Bird Evans.

So many great books, So little time!!