REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gundogpa

Lance Armstrong

gundogpa

Apparently is a liar, cheater......intimidated and threatened innocent people, ruined lives around him to protect himself.

The more you read the more disgusting he becomes.

juneboy1
He also has helped many people with Livestrong. There is always many sides to a story.

Dan Voss
He also has helped many people with Livestrong. There is always many sides to a story.

I guess the end justifies the means then?

gundogpa

And ruined many people with his lies.....both financially and professionally.

trust me

He's a celebrity, and needs to extend his 15 minutes of fame.  He got it by winning races, he got it by denying the doping, now he gets 15 minutes more by appearing on Oprah's show and finally admitting the truth.

If I were the Benevolent Dictator, I would order that his name and face never appear in public again and that he would park his bike and get a job. That would be the worst punishment for his kind.

caleb

I'd say he preyed on sick people.  Both emotionally and financially, he took advantage of vulnerable people to build his own profile and wealth.  

Ben Hong
I have always thought  that his charities and humanitarianism have been no more than obfuscation and camouflage.

MTRookie76
I have always thought  that his charities and humanitarianism have been no more than obfuscation and camouflage.

+1

shinbone

His whole life is built on a lie.  

What's the point of winning races when you cheat to do it?

The sooner he becomes nothing more than a footnote in history the better.

Eddy "The Cannibal" Merckx remains the greatest bike racer.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Merckx

All professional dopers should be heavily fined and banned from all sanctioned competition of any kind for life with no possibility of reinstatement.

caleb

What's the point of winning races when you cheat to do it?

I'm not big on Armstrong, but I'm cautious with using the language of "cheating."  That's not because he didn't cheat, but rather because there's so much more going on than cheating.  Doping was the norm in cycling, and it's the norm in the vast majority of big time athletics.  When years from now it comes out that the overwhelming majority of NFL (and NBA, and NHL, and NCAA, and even some high school) players are juiced, do we really want to talk about it as a matter of cheating?  Or is it largely a matter of money corrupting sport?  The dope is everywhere in sports, and I'm not sure the paradigm of "cheating" that reduces it to individual choices is the most constructive for addressing the problem because it ignores the larger factors involved.

Curt
I haven't seen the Oprah interview yet, did he actually admit to doping ?

Cooter Brown

In a way, he's been left holding the bag.  When he was winning all those races everybody in the racing community knew he was doping, the people doing the testing knew he was doping, whatever organizing body was around at the time knew he was doping.  I guarantee it.

But he was the golden goose.  When he was winning all those races the sport took off like it never had before and a lot of people were making a lot of money off the popularity he brought to biking.  No way in the world they were going to kill off that golden goose so there was an implicit agreement to let it continue.  Way too much money involved.

From what I understand, most of those guys were doping then.  Armstrong was just the best at it and a good athlete as well.

This is not to excuse what he did, just to say that directing all the outrage at Armstrong is naive and is exactly what the people who let it happen and are complicit in it want.  The whole sport was involved in it and like most things it was about money.

The organized racing community is perfectly willing to let Armstrong take the whole hit for something they were involved in as much as him.

shinbone

Just because everyone was cheating doesn't make it okay that Armstrong cheated.  It just makes each one of the participants a cheater.

Again, what is the point of winning an athletic competion if you have to cheat to do it?  Or you could ask: what is the point of participating in an atheltic competition if you have to cheat to win?

JMHO

ScottGrush
The money is too big at that level for them all not to be cheating.....cycling, baseball, football, soccer, you name it.

Cooter Brown
Just because everyone was cheating doesn't make it okay that Armstrong cheated.  It just makes each one of the participants a cheater.

Who here said it was OK that he cheated?

I said that the biking community said it was OK he cheated, which they clearly did because they let it happen for years.