New Englanders

Waiting for the kiddies to get home - early dismissal today.  Then I need to run out and get something hearty to cook for dinner.  Maybe roast chicken.  Or beef stew.  

Clam chowder and home made biscuits sounds fantastic.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john mcg

• Brad Eden

• Hunshatt

• gunsrus

pa'tridge hunters
We filled the cellar with wood last Saturday so we're good there. Cindy had the day off and went shopping so the cupboard is not bare. Bangor Hydro fixed the wires that had pulled off the house in the last storm. We'll fill the tub with water later in case we do loose power. Cindy took the girls for a run this morning so they should be OK for a day or two. The snow blower is gassed and ready to go.  Hope every one is safe and warm in the next few days.
1 ft plus snow fall is pretty common out here during the winter and it is no big deal. I don't believe schools have ever been canceled in the 5+ yrs I have lived in MT. So why is it such a big deal when these typical winter storms happen in the east? Serious question.

Snow and wind starting to really kick-in now.  Spent $100 at the market on comfort and junk food, and $90 at the packie for wine, all to make the next two days of hunkering down even more enjoyable.  A pot roast and a blueberry pie are bubbling in the ovens right now.

Should all be over and cleared by Sunday, when we'll bust out the cross-country skis and run the dogs in deep snow for a bit to burn the cabin fever out of them.

I love a good blizzard!

1 ft plus snow fall is pretty common out here during the winter and it is no big deal. I don't believe schools have ever been canceled in the 5+ yrs I have lived in MT. So why is it such a big deal when these typical winter storms happen in the east? Serious question.

Good question Alex. To listen to the weather blabbers in the media, you'd think that we never had a snow storm before. I don't get the doom and gloom psychology.

Kansas Big Dog

Coming from the west and this being my first winter in Maine, I think the difference is that the east gets a lot more 1' plus snows than out west.  Where I am at in Gray, ME, the average precip for Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb is about 3.5" or 4" a month, mainly in the form of snow.  Billings, on the other hand has around .5" to 1.0" per month of precip.  Another difference is average temps.  the average here is about 10 degrees colder than Billings, so the snow melts away between storms where here it seems to linger on forever, and I do mean forever.   :down:

The other difference is the wind and trees.  Out on the priarie, the wind blows the snow into drifts, not so much here because of the timber.  Just MHO.   :D

bosco mctavitch

It's common here too, but it sure seems to me these storms are more and more common along the coast over the past few years.  There are a few differences between where you and I live and where most people on the eastern seaboard live (in no particular order, and probably missing a few).  It's kind of the same reason why a little snowfall in Atlanta or Pheonix shuts down the entire city.  I'm not sure I buy into all of these reasons 100%, but this is essentially the reasoning I've been given:

First, the storms you hear about on the national news are typically the storms that blow up the east coast passing through one of the most densely populated megalopolis's on the planet--snow is easy to drive in, but driving in close proximity to literally a million other cars in horrendously dense traffic is another ballgame altogether.  Seems it's only news when it affects more than ten million people.  

Heavy, wet snow that is typical near the coast is different than what's common in the rockies and west.  Plus, it doesnt just melt away and evaporate as soon as the sun comes out, the way it does in the much of the rockies and west.

Plowing snow is easy...if you have somewhere to put it.  In many of the cities in the east they literally have nowhere to PUT the snow except to load it into trucks and dump it in the ocean.  That makes cleanup very slow.

Plowing around a bajjillion parked cars is tough.  Parking bans in many cities during snowstorms are common, so some people dont even have easy access to their vehicles during a storm.

many states have "clear road" policies (essentially striving to keep all significant roads safely driveable at all times) in order to make it easy for people to live there and get to work, and to increase the geographic area that employers can realistically hire from, cut down on work days missed, etc...this is an economic development policy, the result being that cars and tires that handle snow well arent as necessary as they once were in many places, so fewer people choose to invest in them. When the road clearing cant keep up with the snowfall, mayhem ensues.

Heavy vehicles that do well in the snow arent nearly as practical or common around cities as they might be in other places, studded tires and chains are banned in many places year-round becasue they cause so much road damage--apparently it's cheaper to deal with the impact of closing schools, etc a few times a winter than it is to deal with all of the accidents and the long term road damage from driving in that weather.  

"I have a 4wd, therefore I'm invincible"...do you really want your children on the road with that idiot?  

Easterners are wimps who simply cant handle a little snow.

WAHOOOO!!!!!!!  :D  :D (photo not mine, but you get the idea...)

hirafu-gus-powder-smile-2012-01-26.jpg

For some reason I had you figured for a boarder, Bosco.

bosco mctavitch
That's just a picture of skiing around here that I pulled off a google search, but nope, you cant get to the good snow if both feet are clamped onto the same plank.

Westerners are tougher than us easterners. It's that simple. Just ask them. Serious observation.

Calm before the storm here. Got about 5-6 inches of very light snow during the day. Dead calm outside but I can hear the train acomin. Should be wild starting around midnight.

I have a pot of venison meatballs percolating in marinara sauce on the stove. Spaghetti and meatballs with Italian bread and garden salad for dinner. Good warm meal before the power goes out.

Beer and wine on the premises and I've already started compromising the bar.

As of 4:00, all non-emergency vehicles and snow clearing vehicles banned from travel in Massachusetts.  No driving allowed.  Up to a year in prison for violators.  I've never seen that before....   :glare:

No trains, planes, or subway anywhere either.